The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Things that make you :)

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, melmerby said:

Order arrived.

Each one separately wrapped, two per very large box with paper to take up the spare space, so three very large boxes

They were 40cm plant pots, so if they did as garden centres do and stacked them, they could have got all 6 in one box of half the size.:yes:

Assuming they are terracotta they simply don’t transit well with parcel couriers packed stacked together. Anything ceramic needs at least a a layer of bubble wrap or cardboard between each piece or it uses even the slightest bit of space to knock themselves into each other on the conveyor belts and in the back of their vans and destroy themselves. Ceramics are also uninsurable in transit so the loss is all on the sender very time.

( he writes having managed a warehouse shipping well over 500,000 ceramic items a year).

The palletised delivery’s to garden centres will generally be less stressful as they have less handling in transit (forklift rather than thrown!!), and are normally banded together to prevent such movement.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Jonboy said:

Assuming they are terracotta they simply don’t transit well with parcel couriers packed stacked together. Anything ceramic needs at least a a layer of bubble wrap or cardboard between each piece or it uses even the slightest bit of space to knock themselves into each other on the conveyor belts and in the back of their vans and destroy themselves. Ceramics are also uninsurable in transit so the loss is all on the sender very time.

( he writes having managed a warehouse shipping well over 500,000 ceramic items a year).

The palletised delivery’s to garden centres will generally be less stressful as they have less handling in transit (forklift rather than thrown!!), and are normally banded together to prevent such movement.

They were plastic ones

I don't get on well with clay pots (or should I say the weather doesn't!)

I bought a load of expensive so called "frost proof" ones a while back and each year about 10% of the remains flakes off.

I have already lost some completely.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Ohmisterporter said:

How is he going to get the melon through the bars? I say he because women can't be that stupid. 

Hence the caption "Remember to exit the train when buying your melon..."

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Ohmisterporter said:

How is he going to get the melon through the bars? I say he because women can't be that stupid. 

The quandary is do you buy a melon, or do you give up the rare luxury of a seat, which you would surely lose, if you got up and purchased the melon at a door?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
48 minutes ago, kevinlms said:

The quandary is do you buy a melon, or do you give up the rare luxury of a seat, which you would surely lose, if you got up and purchased the melon at a door?

The other problem is , how to get off the train and retain the melon .

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, billbedford said:

Million housewives every day

Pick up a tin of beans and say,

What amazing synchronicity. 

HMHB

Million housewives every day

Pick up a tin of beans and say

Beanz meanz fartz

• Funny 1

3 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Opener?

They've had ringpulls for years. :laugh:

It was a very old joke.......but then so am I

I'm also a pretty good cook, but to my mind heating a can of beans is not really cooking

Edited by Dickon
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Steamport Southport said:

Opener?

They've had ringpulls for years. :laugh:

You can tell the ones that don't cook.....

Not the smallest 150g single portion can. So perhaps you can tell those who don't shop...........

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

8 minutes ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

Not the smallest 150g single portion can. So perhaps you can tell those who don't shop...........

No idea. They are normally seal wrapped and I only buy the bigger cans in sixes.

Which would last me about a year.

But I used to stack the things for a living. After a while you stop looking.....

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
39 minutes ago, Mark Saunders said:

This tee shirt was a pop up ad but it makes you think ; is this a better proposition than a nursing home, no fees at point of use!

188CDC51-A392-419A-A3E4-B44701FB3F3B.png

Only problem is that you'd have to do something severe, otherwise you'd be fobbed off with a community sevice order... 

Evidently, in Japan the authorities do have a problem as, if you're caught repeatedly shoplifting for example, you'll get locked up.  They have found that pensioners are taking advantage of this, especially in the winter.  It saves on heating...

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

17 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Evidently, in Japan the authorities do have a problem as, if you're caught repeatedly shoplifting for example, you'll get locked up.  They have found that pensioners are taking advantage of this, especially in the winter.  It saves on heating...

Playing by the rules!

• Like 3