The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Things that make you :)

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Colonialism made a big difference to the vocabulary of British English in the 18th and 19th centuries. Most obvious are words of Indian origin - like pajamas / pyjamas. (The word is Persian but introduced to Britain via India.) There are many examples. 

Loads of examples from bint to juggernaut.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

Perhaps we should revert to toilet humour? As ERs will be aware, I'm coming into contact with estate agents at the moment. Looking through one set of particulars, I saw an example which can only be interpreted as remarkable confidence in their salesmanship: 

1288370055_contentsof....jpg.f010d57b313fabbfdb1ff651c165e28c.jpg

• Like 3
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium

I recall away back in, I think, the 1960's there was a guy selling tartan tat to tourists on Princes Street in Edinburgh.  He had on his stall a sign - hand written in felt pen on a piece of cardboard -  "English spoken - American understood".  (Alisdair)

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, kevinlms said:

Why is it always brand new or virtually so tyres get destroyed?

It's happened to me a couple of times in the first 5000 km.

Three tires, three drywall screws; all within about two months. :( Luckily it was only tread damage and repairable.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

1 minute ago, J. S. Bach said:

Three tires, three drywall screws; all within about two months. :( Luckily it was only tread damage and repairable.

I managed to get a screw through the sidewall of a brand new tyre on the way home from the tyre fitters!

It had punctured the sidewall but not damaged the plies. Had to go straight back and have a tube fitted!

• Friendly/supportive 6

1 hour ago, ardbealach said:

I recall away back in, I think, the 1960's there was a guy selling tartan tat to tourists on Princes Street in Edinburgh.  He had on his stall a sign - hand written in felt pen on a piece of cardboard -  "English spoken - American understood".  (Alisdair)

Have you ever had one of those moments when someone speaks to you and your mouth replies on its own without your brain having any input at all? 

It happened to me once (well, several times but this is the relevant one). I was on a SCUBA diving holiday in Hurghada, Egypt. Walking towards the port to get our dive boat we were approached by another bunch of obvious tourists. One of them loudly asked in a strong American accent "Hey, do you guys speak English?"

Mouth did its own thing. I replied "Probably better than you do."

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, CameronL said:

Have you ever had one of those moments when someone speaks to you and your mouth replies on its own without your brain having any input at all? 

It happened to me once (well, several times but this is the relevant one). I was on a SCUBA diving holiday in Hurghada, Egypt. Walking towards the port to get our dive boat we were approached by another bunch of obvious tourists. One of them loudly asked in a strong American accent "Hey, do you guys speak English?"

Mouth did its own thing. I replied "Probably better than you do."

I had a similar moment in a restaurant once, having listened for a while to the table of Americans being loud and annoying, one turned to me and said " do you speak English", mouth went into automatic as I replied, "yes, do you?"

Mike.

• Round of applause 2
  • Funny 13

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, andytrains said:

Licence. Light the blue paper and retire!

Both are correct, depending on context:

Licence - noun.

License - verb. 

I have a driving licence, which licenses me to drive a car.

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1

15 hours ago, simontaylor484 said:

A liberal spray of WD40 on said surfaces prevents their use for that purpose allegedly

I visualize a woman in a white dress, exiting a toilet, looking as though she has just carried out heavy maintenance work upon a motor vehicle. 

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Nick C said:

Licence - noun.

License - verb. 

I have a tv licence, is this so that I can drive a tv?  I also have modellers' license, which allows me to get things wrong and claim it was deliberate afterwards...

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Nick C said:

Licence - noun.

License - verb. 

I have a tv licence, is this so that I can drive a tv?  I also have modellers' license, which is not a licence authorising me to be a modeller, but which allows me to get things wrong and claim it was deliberate afterwards...

• RMweb Premium
59 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

I have a tv licence, is this so that I can drive a tv?  I also have modellers' license, which is not a licence authorising me to be a modeller, but which allows me to get things wrong and claim it was deliberate afterwards...

If you needed a licence to post on RMweb, perhaps the post wouldn't have gone in twice!

Only joking.

• Funny 2