The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Things that make you :)

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

Those missiles light off, you're toast! Literally!!

During WW2 my father, at the time second officer on a merchant ship and responsible for the deck guns, was sent on a training course in experimental anti aircraft rocket launchers at Spurn Head; he actually rode on the sailing boat train.  When he arrived at the site, it was to see a cage with a seat inside it on a turntable mount with half a dozen tubes that could be angled up or downwards by a wheel in the; there was another wheel to turn it around, somebody else loaded the wizzbangs from behind, and you fired the lot with a cord.  He was assured that this thing had been scientifically designed by experts and completely safe. 

He sat in it.  Somebody loaded the rockets.  Somebody told him to point it that way and pull the cord. He pointed it that way an pulled the cord.  There was a fizzing noise and half a dozen live rocket described a graceful but short arc to land in a dne about 10 feet away, and everyone else ran for cover, followed by dad very shoryly afterwards.  There were some loud explosions

He was not a happy bunny, and the experts were probably lucky they were locked in a bunker...

Edited by The Johnster
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4

12 hours ago, melmerby said:

That doesn't make me smile it makes me shake my head in despair at the way noisy , minority factions seem to have so much clout and are allowed to influence the way the majority live!

Edited by Phil Traxson
  • Agree 11

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, Phil Traxson said:

That doesn't make me smile it makes me shake my head in despair at the way noisy , minority factions seem to have so much clout and are allowed to influence the way the majority live!

Indeed - just take these three quotes from that article for example:

"The petition, seen by the authority, requests two plant-based days are introduced at state-run schools as soon as possible – and for all council-run events to be plant-based once the pandemic is over."

“The Green group has for a long-time campaigned for healthier and more environmentally friendly options being made available to support the health of pupils and the planet.”

“As part of this, we would like to make sure that children in all our schools are learning about the carbon footprint of what they eat to help inform their decision making about the food choices they make.”

If they're wholly plant-based, then that's not an option is it, and the children can't make a choice either way - they're forced into taking the only thing available! 

• Agree 3

42 minutes ago, Phil Traxson said:

It doesn't make mesmile either, as it has been in such a way as to deliberately provoke just the sort of reaction seen here.

steve

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Nick C said:

“As part of this, we would like to make sure that children in all our schools are learning about the carbon footprint of what they eat to help inform their decision making about the food choices they make.”

If they're wholly plant-based, then that's not an option is it, and the children can't make a choice either way - they're forced into taking the only thing available! 

Chips cooked in vegetable oil is ok by me!

Perhaps we could have fish classed as a plant?

Next thing will be "Harvesting is carried out unethically and constitutes cruelty to plants"

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, Nick C said:

"The petition, seen by the authority, requests two plant-based days are introduced at state-run schools as soon as possible – and for all council-run events to be plant-based once the pandemic is over."

Nasty things plants -- all they do is sit there and make toxins...

3 hours ago, Nick C said:

“The Green group has for a long-time campaigned for healthier and more environmentally friendly options being made available to support the health of pupils and the planet.”

"Oh, what fun we had
But did it really turn out bad
All I learnt at school
Was how to bend, not break the rules"

So would bringing meat products into school be a bending or a breaking of the rules?.

And would the kids care either way?.

Edited by rocor
Read it through twice, yet still did notice missing word. doh!
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Nick C said:

The kids need to learn to read, write and maths first!

• Like 1
  • Agree 7

It has been scientifically proven, that plants do feel...

Grass reacts to being grazed by increasing the toxin levels...

Thats one reason why grazing animals move around a field, moving away from the bitter tasting grass.

Some trees do the same when their leaves are being chewed...

Vegans do not wear anything that comes from animals...

So, leather substitutes for shoes...and no wool fibres in textiles...

Plastic shoes??? ;)

Personally, I do like a lot of the Vegetarian and Vegan options available...tasty...:D

That makes me smile. :)

Edited by Ruffnut Thorston
More added...
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

7 hours ago, andytrains said:

The kids need to learn to read, write and maths first!

As a retired teacher and current Governor of a nearby school, may I reassure you that Read, Write and Maths are indeed a  top level priority, as is a balanced diet for meals provided.  Government Inspectors are tasked with visiting and reporting on their ability to do so.

Fortunately, the opportunistic scribblings of the gutter press have little influence on the reality of best provision for the pupils in British schools.

Julian

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1