The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Things that make you :)

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

A series of TTS ambience modules in small self contained boxes would be useful for:

1. Farmyard Effects*
  2. Urban Effects
  3. City Effects

They wouldn't even have to put it in a condemned van!

* Milking parlour, cursing farmer, disfunctional tractor, chikkens, dying duck, etc...

5 hours ago, manna said:

And, on a lighter note

151381377_2901585750167364_7685763894063820756_n.jpg

Ironically the "Mansfield bar" can be a big safety hazard. Unless they have strong longitudinal bracing they are not usually strong enough* to prevent 'underride' accidents the way they are intended.  Underride accidents are some of the most gruesome wrecks.

* At least in the US. Canadian regulations are better. I don't know about the UK.

Often the rear underride bar will just fold up on impact and the deck of the trailer carves off everything on the car higher than the bonnet/hood making air bags moot. The trucking industry has pushed back against fitting side underride guards.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Ironically the "Mansfield bar" can be a big safety hazard. Unless they have strong longitudinal bracing they are not usually strong enough* to prevent 'underride' accidents the way they are intended.  Underride accidents are some of the most gruesome wrecks.

* At least in the US. Canadian regulations are better. I don't know about the UK.

Often the rear underride bar will just fold up on impact and the deck of the trailer carves off everything on the car higher than the bonnet/hood making air bags moot. The trucking industry has pushed back against fitting side underride guards.

A former work colleague had a beat up old private car. One day he suddenly turned up at work with a brand new one.

Within a couple of weeks, he turned up with scrape marks on the bonnet, within 50mm of the windscreen. He run up the back of a tray truck, without these bars.

Apparently the truck driver got and came round the back expecting the worst. Only to meet my mate, who told him, I'm fine just leave your truck there and I'll reverse out. Which he did with black smoke pouring out the tyres until it came free and shot out backwards.

It didn't take long for other dents and scrapes to appear.

I went out with him a couple of times in his work car & he was downright dangerous. His foot was always hard on either the accelerator or brake. The clutch was used like a bear trap - a distinctive clang as it was released.

Fortunately, only a couple of short trips and then I had my own work car, so never needed to travel with him again.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, The Johnster said:

The tragedy is, I sort of know what she means...

I think she means that she is personally too close to the kill. IE. Witnesses it.

Maybe she thinks sheep and cows, because they are shared amongst many, are not directly her culpability.

Or maybe she thinks that abattoirs are some sort of happy flowery place!

Maybe she doesn't think much at all.

Maybe it's a spoof.

Or maybe she used language that she knows she can connect easily with her friends with...

"Because they're alive when you kill it"! - Sums up a lot of the above.

I think people are just getting more and more squeamish.

Kev.

11 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Way back, before the Berlin Wall came down, I followed a Chieftain tank down the road from RAF Gatow, towards the Heerstraße, [the main 5 lane drag through the city].  At the lights he pulled slightly left, occupying both lanes of the junction, so as to avoid clipping the kerb when turning right.  Even though he was indicating right and still occupying half of the right hand lane, some arrogant young Laddette managed to squeeze her small car down the remaining half lane, to the lights.  The Chieftain driver was completely unaware that she had done so and once she was level with the tank at the lights, her car was below his mirror.  She would also have been below the view of the commander in the turret.  Amber lights lit - away she went, as the Chieftain driver clogged the accelerator bar.  They went onto the Heerstraße side by side - until the tank driver hauled on the right steering lever and with the front of the tank still reared-up, it swung and drove over the whole bonnet of the girl's car.  It sheered everything clean off, from the bulkhead forward and flattened it.  All that was left were a few wire ends, where they passed through the bulkhead.  Apparently the armour side plates didn't fend the little car off any more than lorry side / rear underride guards do.

She was still screaming, non-stop, by the time several drivers had stopped their cars and went to help her out.  Fortunately, other than the huge fright, the young lady was otherwise unharmed, another few inches, to include the bulkhead, would have seen a very different result.  A couple of drivers chased after the Chieftain to flag it down, as the occupants hadn't heard or felt anything as it went over the car.

Julian

• Like 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1

1 hour ago, jcredfer said:

Way back, before the Berlin Wall came down, I followed a Chieftain tank down the road from RAF Gatow, towards the Heerstraße, [the main 5 lane drag through the city].  At the lights he pulled slightly left, occupying both lanes of the junction, so as to avoid clipping the kerb when turning right.  Even though he was indicating right and still occupying half of the right hand lane, some arrogant young Laddette managed to squeeze her small car down the remaining half lane, to the lights.  The Chieftain driver was completely unaware that she had done so and once she was level with the tank at the lights, her car was below his mirror.  She would also have been below the view of the commander in the turret.  Amber lights lit - away she went, as the Chieftain driver clogged the accelerator bar.  They went onto the Heerstraße side by side - until the tank driver hauled on the right steering lever and with the front of the tank still reared-up, it swung and drove over the whole bonnet of the girl's car.  It sheered everything clean off, from the bulkhead forward and flattened it.  All that was left were a few wire ends, where they passed through the bulkhead.  Apparently the armour side plates didn't fend the little car off any more than lorry side / rear underride guards do.

She was still screaming, non-stop, by the time several drivers had stopped their cars and went to help her out.  Fortunately, other than the huge fright, the young lady was otherwise unharmed, another few inches, to include the bulkhead, would have seen a very different result.  A couple of drivers chased after the Chieftain to flag it down, as the occupants hadn't heard or felt anything as it went over the car.

Julian

A clip from the film Buffalo Soldiers.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, SHMD said:

I think she means that she is personally too close to the kill. IE. Witnesses it.

Maybe she thinks sheep and cows, because they are shared amongst many, are not directly her culpability.

Or maybe she thinks that abattoirs are some sort of happy flowery place!

Maybe she doesn't think much at all.

Maybe it's a spoof.

Or maybe she used language that she knows she can connect easily with her friends with...

"Because they're alive when you kill it"! - Sums up a lot of the above.

I think people are just getting more and more squeamish.

Kev.

I meant that I sort of understand the flawed thought process of lobsters being alive when you kill them, as opposed to other things which are, necessarily according to this process, dead when you kill them.  It goes with statements such as 'it's been later than this before now', and 'eat it and kill it, then stuff it and pluck it'.  You know exactly what is meant but it's said all wrong. 

People are more squeamish than they were in my yoof, though.  I was staying with some chums with a friend who has a rented smallholding in West Wales a few years back, and as one of her chooks had not laid for a week, she wrung it's neck and we had it for dinner with a rather nice  peppery tarragon jus, and home grown spuds and greens.  I had shooed her into the hutch the night before, but felt no guilt or remorse about chowing down on a bird that I'd known personally.  One or two of my chums decided that I was a cold and heartless killing maching in consequence.  I think urban life removes one from things that are not particularly nice, and wonder how many townies (I am myself a townie) would think differently about eating meat after a visit to an abbatoir. 

In a similar way, I am very much opposed to capital punishment, but accept that this is a minority view.  Were it to be reintroduced, I would campaign for public executions.  This would soon sort out the squeamish from those who would be there baying for blood, many of whom I suspect would be vegetarians. 

On the way back from the same trip, we were discussing genetically modified food, and I brought up the subject of factory grown cultured meat.  Everybody else in the car was horrified at this idea, preferring to put live sentient animals through the slaughtering process and denying huge swathes of the third world's population the ability to grow crops and rear animals for their own consumption on land now used for grazing stock for our benefit.  It's what I think of as the 'Farmers Market' mentality; there is nothing inherently better about food bought at a Farmer's market and equal quality can be found in shops if you are prepared to pay for it, and in the case of our local FM food comes from the farm that morning or the night before in small, fuel inefficient, diesel vans from up to 120 miles away, over Welsh wiggly rural roads for over half the distance.  Meanwhile the customers have blocked the nearby streets with 4x4s to carry the produce home, about 15 minute's walk away.

It's a well intentioned but flawed thought process.

• Like 4