The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Things that make you :)

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

There was a pub in Pontefract thst  used to have topless barmaids on a Thursday night im sure thats one of them

Perhaps you need to do a proper and close study, to see if your memory is correct?

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

Engineering basics made to sound technical

1) I carried out some Percussive Engineering (I hit it very hard with a hammer several times and it started working)

2) I tried a cyclic power regime (I switched it on and off until it came to life)

3) The system was suffering from a high impedance air gap (I forgot to plug it in)

4) Organic Grounding Occurred (I touched a live wire and got a shock)

5) The part has been thermally reconfigured or has been affected by thermal shock (it overheated and melted) 

6) The mechanism has suffered from Kinetic Disassembly (It has blown up)

Jim

• Like 11
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

Chum of mine who used to work for Pullman Rail at Cathays depot in Cardiff tells the story of a newbie boss, straight out of university with a degree in engineering, and a nylon headed hammer he was using.  This piece of percussive technology had replaceable screw in heads for different jobs, and Tony managed to convince degree boy that it was ‘adjustable’ by screwing or unscrewing the head every time degree boy walked past.  Degree boy bought this hook line and sinker, and of his own accord went to stores to get one for himself...

• Funny 12

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, Hroth said:

aka "Percussive Maintenance"  :jester:

Used to work quite well on 405 line tellys...

That was annoying!

The kink would travel down the side of the picture, and if ever allowed to reach the bottom, then the whole screen would jump up.

The trick was you had to bang the side of the telly just as the kink was passing where your hand would make contact with the cabinet.

Kev.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Chap I worked with had joined Pye from his previous employment with the local TV hire shop (as a tv engineer). [Renbro in Cambridge btw - anyone remember them, and their model shop?].

He had his regular customers, including one dear old lady who regularly called, think she was lonely. On one visit, he could find no fault with the tv, so adjusted the horizontal hold control so the picture was gently rolling, then asked her to choose the best picture when it appeared. At that point he stopped it rolling, and left; she was very happy :).

Good customer service!

• Like 5
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

19 hours ago, simontaylor484 said:

There was a pub in Pontefract thst  used to have topless barmaids on a Thursday night im sure thats one of them

Glasgow's equivalent was a bar called "Wenches" which was part of the one time North British Hotel, a handy stop before heading for the train home from Queen Street.  The barmaids were not quite topless, but were dressed in various type of lingerie, basques, stockings suspenders etc with a bonus for the most skimpy outfit.  I was only ever in the bar once, after a Scotland Game at Hampden, and the bar was heaving with Scotland fans having a quick pint or six before getting the train.  The highlights of the game were on the telly and it was quite funny to see that the television was getting far more attention than the poor barmaids!

Jim

• Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, luckymucklebackit said:

The highlights of the game were on the telly and it was quite funny to see that the television was getting far more attention than the poor barmaids!

Jim

I bet the barmaids were glad they weren't getting "attention" from the drunken footie fans.:jester:

• Agree 6

2 hours ago, luckymucklebackit said:

I was only ever in the bar once, after a Scotland Game at Hampden, and the bar was heaving with Scotland fans having a quick pint or six before getting the train.  The highlights of the game were on the telly and it was quite funny to see that the television was getting far more attention than the poor barmaids!

Jim

What? There’s highlights from a Scotland game?

Couldn't have been a qualifier..   :yahoo:

• Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, manna said:

G'Day Folks

127551274_1104965673288614_5505454952042618548_n.jpg

Or as Nigella might have put it, "Drink, Pee, Repeat!"

Edited by Hroth
I really must proofread before submitting...
  • Funny 2