The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Things that make you :)

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, kevinlms said:

Yes, I know. I live in Australia, so I know something about big islands!

Technically Australia isn’t an island, it’s a continent as it’s the biggest landmass on its plate ;) 

Greenland is and the British Isles as they share the plate with America or Europe. Some call it an island continent but then it means both definitions are wrong:lol: ain’t Geography fun!

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

19 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

Technically Australia isn’t an island, it’s a continent as it’s the biggest landmass on its plate ;) 

Greenland is and the British Isles as they share the plate with America or Europe. Some call it an island continent but then it means both definitions are wrong:lol: ain’t Geography fun!

Your wrong

Tis my plate my food  :P

talking of plates at this time of day just means food is to be planned and enjoyed  HA ha

yep wrong plate type and hard to chew on :boast:

• Funny 1

3 hours ago, Rugd1022 said:

One of my sister's friends accused me of talking b*ll*ocks when I said we live on an island. She's a 40 year old teacher....!

G'Day Folks

Well since they built the Channel Tunnel, it's now a Cul-de-Sac.

Anyway......

118050768_2584463355217588_7003000375793408858_n.jpg

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, TheQ said:

As a friend had to correct a Geography teacher in Scotland, who said Lincolnshire was flat, as in fenland flat.. The friends daughter had had her questions incorrectly marked for that.. .. They had moved to Scotland from Waddington, and to the west of Waddington is one very steep down hill..

i must admit I always thought Lincolnshire to be flat until I drove from Lincoln to Louth, really surprised me how hilly the north end is

similarly railway wise I was expecting the east Sussex line between Ipswich and Lowestoft to be fen like flat, Couldn’t believe the climbs and dips between Trimly jn and Beccles 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, melmerby said:

Knowing the administrative niceties and pointing to it on a map are completely different scenarios.;)

Even using the term "Americans" for citizens of the USA is incorrect, as all those inhabiting the two halves of the continent and it's islands are "American", in the same way we are all European.

Please let them all be allowed to vote in the 'American' election. 

• Agree 2

54 minutes ago, big jim said:

i must admit I always thought Lincolnshire to be flat until I drove from Lincoln to Louth, really surprised me how hilly the north end is

similarly railway wise I was expecting the east Sussex line between Ipswich and Lowestoft to be fen like flat, Couldn’t believe the climbs and dips between Trimly jn and Beccles

Have you ever tried to walk up the hill to the Cathedral in Lincoln that is a steep bu@@er

• Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, big jim said:

Ipswich and Lowestoft in Sussex???  Wrong side of the Thames, Suffolk, more like!

• Agree 6
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

It’s all very well making fun of the Americans but a friend of mine teaches and she was talking about ocean pollution to 14yr olds.

One asked why don’t they just drain the ocean to clean it like they do in the canal?

Perhaps he/she had been watching one of those ship wreck programmes on the TV where they do "drain the ocean" to reveal it.  I'd still worry about them.

Adrian

• Like 3

2 hours ago, simontaylor484 said:

Have you ever tried to walk up the hill to the Cathedral in Lincoln that is a steep bu@@erye

Yep, do it regularly when I've got a break in Lincoln. Challenge I've set myself is to do the steepest part in one go some time.

Not done it yet but haven't had the chance since lockdown began anyway.

Maybe too much for a 67 year old who had a heart attack 10 years ago? Then again I'm in better shape than I have been for many years, so I'll keep trying.

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 4

• RMweb Premium

Years ago I was stuck in a traffic jam up that hill,  it was the first time the radiator fan came on in that car,  I wondered what the hxxx it was. 

I for one will be very happy when the Lincoln bypass is completed..

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, big jim said:

9 hours ago, simontaylor484 said:

Have you ever tried to walk up the hill to the Cathedral in Lincoln that is a steep bu@@er

Wait until you've fought your way up Isaacs Hill in Cleethorpes, the locals are quite proud of it, although coming from Sheffield I had a slightly different view of it!

Mike.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The hills of Sheffield and particularly Rotherham have their own particular hazzard...   Potholes, I used to regularly drive up the hill from Rotherham to Greasborough,  it was more like a deep ploughed field..

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, TheQ said:

Years ago I was stuck in a traffic jam up that hill,  it was the first time the radiator fan came on in that car,  I wondered what the hxxx it was. 

I for one will be very happy when the Lincoln bypass is completed..

I presume you mean the road which winds round the side of the hill, rather than the one which continues from High Street in the middle of the city? 

So long as the link works this shows the one I mean.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/LocationPhotoDirectLink-g186336-d2433511-i41690644-Steep_Hill-Lincoln_Lincolnshire_England.html

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

The only 'hills' in Rhyl were the four railway over bridges, two were quite busy roads, so the other two were clogged up with learner drivers doing hill starts.

The Hills in Rhyl, is that a follow up to the Rain in Spain?

Mike.

• Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, great central said:

I presume you mean the road which winds round the side of the hill, rather than the one which continues from High Street in the middle of the city? 

So long as the link works this shows the one I mean.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/LocationPhotoDirectLink-g186336-d2433511-i41690644-Steep_Hill-Lincoln_Lincolnshire_England.html

You would be correct, there's a bollard or two that prevents you using the direct route by car... It's along time since I walked that..

Steep Hill in Lincoln...... forty years ago there was a wonderful pub nearly at the top, on the west side on the road serving Sam Smith's, run by a family who also owned The Vaults at the bottom of the hill. I walked up there many times.

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Stubby47 said:

The only 'hills' in Rhyl were the four railway over bridges, two were quite busy roads, so the other two were clogged up with learner drivers doing hill starts.

you could always venture to Prestatyn and go to the top of gwaenysgor hill and have a nice view of rhyl

E45B25B5-5752-4950-B5E7-E26E9F089086.png.4045308e188d5180186f6bfe487d778a.png

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Wait until you've fought your way up Isaacs Hill in Cleethorpes, the locals are quite proud of it, although coming from Sheffield I had a slightly different view of it!

Not quite the Côte de Jenkin Road is it!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1