The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Things that make you :)

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Alex TM said:

Or in Edinburgh .... American tourist to her husband "honey, isn't it great that they built the castle so close to the railroad depot".

To be fair to Americans, most of the ones I meet are intelligent, educated, and thoughtful.

I thought the railway was built, to be close to the 'depot'!

Edited by kevinlms
Missing word
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, andytrains said:

Friend of mine was at Frinton in her beach hut and was asked by somebody, "Does the sea come in every day"

To which the correct answer is twice, most days. That will throw them!

• Agree 3

1 hour ago, chris p bacon said:

True story.

Probably 10+ years ago we were on a cruise ship with some friends, we attended a quiz and while sitting waiting to start, a lone American lady wandered in hoping to join a team, so we invited to join us. She was very nice and chatty and helped with questions. One of the questions was 'Who was the 3rd wif of Henry the 8th' I jotted the answer down and we said nothing. 

When we got to the answers the quiz master asked if anyone knew and I replied "Jane Seymour" The lady looked at me and said "I never knew she married royalty......she's such a lovely actress"    It took a bit to get her to understand that 'Solitaire' from Live and Let Die hadn't married the King some 500 years earlier.

To be fair to Americans, there are probably an equal number of Brits who would have answered 'Barbara Windsor' 

Most kids would know.

They all watch Horrible Histories and you would be surprised how much kids pick up if it's gruesome and has a funny song.

Jason

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Metr0Land said:

Fort Worth Texas Sep 2004

rev Fort Worth TRE568 d Sep04 800px.jpg

Wonder if trying that on a layout would result in howls of "wouldn't happen in the real world"?

That aside, it's a fantastic picture.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Buhar said:

I was asked by an American if the Cathedral was open on Sundays. 

Alan 

Yes. And it's free!

We were in Nantes and sitting outside that one that just went up in flames, drinking beer. One of the locals told us that you can go in for free if you sit down and watch the sermon. So we did.

Sat at the back, still drinking beer and nobody batted an eyelid. They're probably used to it. No idea what was going on mind you.

Jason

• RMweb Gold

We were in Dordrecht in the Netherlands and were refused permission to enter the Cathedral as they were having a committee meeting.  4 people sitting on chairs in view of the doors and continually scowling at the tourists that tried the doors to enter.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 15/08/2020 at 09:53, Alex TM said:

Or in Edinburgh .... American tourist to her husband "honey, isn't it great that they built the castle so close to the railroad depot".

To be fair to Americans, most of the ones I meet are intelligent, educated, and thoughtful.

I've heard several stories of American tourists asking at Gatwick airport ticket office for tickets/directions to Stratford. If the booking clerk was in a good mood they might ask if they actually mean Stratford upon Avon...

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, Ohmisterporter said:

I can't believe it was in 2005. Where has the time gone?

ooops!  AIUI they built up the top layer before fully building up the sides.  I was living in High Wycombe at the time, and the night before there was the mother and father of a storm and a huge deluge which put too much weight on the top that wasn't properly transmitted to the sides as they weren't there.

rev Gerrards Cross Tunnel 01Jul05.jpg

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 3