The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Things that make you :)

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold
54 minutes ago, big jim said:

Father’s Day card from my 16yr old......

full of love and sincerity 

Next year it will be 'Can I have Mini car keys'?

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, big jim said:

Father’s Day card from my 16yr old......

full of love and sincerity 

9DB0084D-7613-44E1-B54A-A220516BA9F9.jpeg.d3c80d0c501243489ac3af2f50b8dbc3.jpeg

at least it didn't go to the milk man....

• Funny 11

• RMweb Gold

I think he’s going to be buying my step dads Isuzu rodeo pick up truck off him when the time comes, he’s already got the money together for his first vehicle, I keep telling him though a lot of what he has saved will go on insurance! 

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

^ Funny but it has to be manipulated.

Oh I dunno, I went to a customer years ago that complained the washing machine didn’t fit the space. It turned out she’d just had the kitchen redone and the jerk who’d done it had made a space 2 inches narrower at the back than the front. More worrying in the cupboard alongside was he’d put the sockets for it right beneath the sink behind the stopcock and waste connection! I explained I wouldn’t want to plug that in even if it had fitted as any leak would be lethal and suggested she got a properly qualified fitter and electrician in to sort out her kitchen!

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

You aren't supposed to eat a whole pack!

any more scurrilous comments like that and I’ll report them! :diablo_mini:

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
55 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

Oh I dunno, I went to a customer years ago that complained the washing machine didn’t fit the space. It turned out she’d just had the kitchen redone and the jerk who’d done it had made a space 2 inches narrower at the back than the front. More worrying in the cupboard alongside was he’d put the sockets for it right beneath the sink behind the stopcock and waste connection! I explained I wouldn’t want to plug that in even if it had fitted as any leak would be lethal and suggested she got a properly qualified fitter and electrician in to sort out her kitchen!

Hence the immortal line 'Who sold you this then'?

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, kevinlms said:

Hence the immortal line 'Who sold you this then'?

I remember this from my gas board days, an attempt to prevent us installers undermining the supposedly good work of the sell them anything sales department.

Just gave us more ammunition!

Mike.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

You'll find that is common practice and allowed under current regs. With fully protected circuits it's not the problem it once was.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

2 hours ago, chris p bacon said:

You'll find that is common practice and allowed under current regs. With fully protected circuits it's not the problem it once was.

What!?!

Have regulations changed the laws of physics then?

I don't care how rapid a response any kind of circuit breaker is, some electricity has to get through to complete the circuit and I don't want it going through me!

• Agree 6

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, chris p bacon said:

I think Not...

In the UK, the NICEIC states that:

“Electrical sockets or switches should be fitted at a safe distance (it is recommended at least 30cm horizontally) from a sink to avoid the chance of water coming into contact with electricity. Sockets should also be easily accessible.

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, TheQ said:

I think Not...

“Electrical sockets or switches should be fitted at a safe distance (it is recommended at least 30cm horizontally) from a sink to avoid the chance of water coming into contact with electricity. Sockets should also be easily accessible.

Problem is "should" doesn't mean "must"

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, TheQ said:

I think Not...

If you read the original post I quoted.

6 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

More worrying in the cupboard alongside was he’d put the sockets for it right beneath the sink behind the stopcock and waste connection! 

I didn't state that the regs allowed a socket alongside a sink, and I'm sure it's now more than 300mm quoted for counter top. The quote was for a socket beneath the sink in a cupboard adjacent to the Washing machine which is allowed.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

From what I've read It's not a 17th edition reg,  But a Building reg part P , That states Sockets should be 300mm horizontally from a sink. putting one in a cupboard beneath is not 300mm Horizontally..

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, TheQ said:

From what I've read It's not a 17th edition reg,  But a Building reg part P , That states Sockets should be 300mm horizontally from a sink. putting one in a cupboard beneath is not 300mm Horizontally..

The vertical distance is not measured in the same way as the sink is an open source of water and spray.

Sockets can be placed in cupboards so long as they are easily accessible, MCBO & RCD protected. It is common place and allowable to put a socket beneath a sink as Dishwashers and washing machines are generally adjacent. 

For the last 10 years my (Registered) Electrician has used my builds for his annual inspection, sockets have been fitted in cupboards and under the sink in several of the builds without issue.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, chris p bacon said:

1 hour ago, chris p bacon said:

The quote was for a socket beneath the sink in a cupboard adjacent to the Washing machine which is allowed.

The issue I had with it was the washing machine drain pipe falling out, or being taken out, or a leak from the sink or stopcock all had potential to spray water directly in the socket. You had pipes directly in front of the socket with barely enough room to get the plug in anyway then the U-bend directly alongside too. It was a mess much like the shoddy assembly of the cupboards, god knows what the wiring was like! I didn’t need regs to see it was dangerous and this was 25 years ago so we aren’t talking a modern set of trips necessarily being in place and as the ‘plumber’ had done the cupboards and electrics I doubt it was properly certified either by current regs. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Tom Scott did a YouTube video about the variants of "Jingle Bells, Jingle Bells, Batman Smells" across the world and he quoted several quite rude versions including something about Mr Blobby!

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, manna said:

G'day Folks

104082961_1165031503849655_3793652255847745275_n.jpg

I once stayed in a 5 star hotel in Egypt (?) which had one of these "wetroom" type bathrooms and there was a socket low down on the wall (I assume for the maid to use her vacuum cleaner)

It would have been easy to shower it at the same time as you are showering yourself.:(