The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Things that make you :)

Andy Y

The Twelve days of Xmas - Glasgow Pub Crawl style...

On the 1st day of Christmas My true love gave to me, a wee heavy and a half pint
On the 2nd day of Christmas My true love gave to me, two nips of gin
On the 3rd day of Christmas My true love gave to me, three black and tans
On the 4th day of Christmas My true love gave to me, four Baby chams
On the 5th day of Christmas My true love gave to me, five Happy Days
On the 6th day of Christmas My true love gave to me, six Carlsberg specials
On the 7th day of Christmas My true love gave to me, seven rum & cokes
On the 8th day of Christmas My true love gave to me, eight nips of whisky
On the 9th day of Christmas My true love gave to me, nine vodka'n'limes
On the 10th day of Christmas My true love gave to me, ten creme de menthes
On the 11th day of Christmas My true love gave to me, eleven Blue Lagoons
On the 12th day of Christmas My true love gave to me, twelve Alka Selzers

As sung by Bill Barclay

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Kylestrome said:

Americans were always good at geography:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-50849559

"The department's online tariff tracker hosted a detailed list of goods the two nations apparently traded, including ducks, donkeys and dairy cows." :sarcastichand:

https://www.boredpanda.com/americans-place-european-countries-on-map/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=organic

Some of these responses are classic

Jim

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 2

5 hours ago, Kylestrome said:

1 hour ago, luckymucklebackit said:

I'm guessing they weren't given a list of countries and this question was completely tabula rasa, which makes it much more difficult. (We also don't know how much time was allotted.)

As someone whose last geography class was before the fall of the Soviet Union, it is challenging to even remember all of the names of the countries of the former USSR, particularly the fracturing of the former Yugoslavia in the wake of the Balkan conflict, without any reference. Then there's that whole Solvenia / Slovakia thing.

I wonder if given the same question how many Britons would correctly identify the Kaliningrad Oblast? And what exactly is Macedonia called this week? Oh yes, "North Macedonia".

Without being political, it would be interesting to see, a generation from now in a post-"B" word world, how a new generation of Britons would do.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Without being political, it would be interesting to see, a generation from now in a post-"B" word world, how a new generation of Britons would do.

There is a video clip doing the rounds showing people being asked to draw in the Anglo-Scottish border on an outline map of Great Britain.  Most drew a line between Glasgow and Edinburgh.

I am pleasantly surprised by how much of Europe was identified by Americans.

Best wishes

Eric  

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Kylestrome said:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-50849559

"The department's online tariff tracker hosted a detailed list of goods the two nations apparently traded, including ducks, donkeys and dairy cows." :sarcastichand:

Wakander eh?!

They're going on the "to do" list.....

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/history/9653497/British-have-invaded-nine-out-of-ten-countries-so-look-out-Luxembourg.html

Jason

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

On 18/12/2019 at 11:18, kevinlms said:

Still not required this time of year.

Sorry grumpy today, as its been 40 degrees C in Melbourne today and the last thing on my mind is a heated seat! One full of ice cubes might be a better idea.

CA13D0A8-BBE0-4AD1-88E5-527C1449057C.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 1

Charles Dickens’s final Christmas turkey lost by Great Western Railway

Rediscovered letter records that 30lb bird was dispatched by train but transferred to a replacement coach service that caught fire.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2019/dec/18/charles-dickenss-final-christmas-turkey-lost-by-great-western-railway

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, burgundy said:

There is a video clip doing the rounds showing people being asked to draw in the Anglo-Scottish border on an outline map of Great Britain.  Most drew a line between Glasgow and Edinburgh.

I am pleasantly surprised by how much of Europe was identified by Americans.

Best wishes

Eric  

And many in Scotland draw it along Hadrians wall,  solway firth to Newcastle ish.. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

23 hours ago, Sidecar Racer said:

pattern.jpg

This one reminds me of a radio discussion one morning about a ladies pair of leggings the waist band had written on it "I love animal".... ok this seems rather innocent until the length was just right for the cut points to product... "I love an" seam, "al" so there was a debate if these should be accepted as a return item to the clothing shop. If say it was an adult shop this would have been acceptable? 

• Funny 5

3 hours ago, eastwestdivide said:

I started making a calendar mimicking old railway posters using my photos, but in the end decided I didn't want to be snarky all 365 days of the year, so here's a couple of the attempts:

777019191_oldcarriageRyeHarbourposter.jpg.5d70d0e0c8f76b1f922f0316518e31b1.jpg

1822927791_Yorkshirefreshair.jpg.cca661cd1836b4866a386dd0733e5819.jpg

You might like this:

https://despair.com/collections/demotivators

I once sent my sister a calendar made up from these when she was working in the corporate headquarters of a large Canadian company. She put it up at her desk (she was retiring in the next couple of years, so didn't care too much) and was amazed at the number of people who quietly asked her where she'd got it.

Edited by pH
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1