The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Things that make you :)

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Ramblin Rich said:

It might be funny if it weren't so appalling that there can be people in a modern society that believe this. There's so many easy ways to show to yourself that earth is a sphere; as a child I remember being impressed that we could not see a ship out to sea when at sea level, but just climbing a cliff allowed us to see further around the curve. That doesn't work on a flat surface! I honestly despair of such willful distortion of very simple factual evidence which leads to all sorts of idiotic conspiracy theories. I heard this kind of twaddle from someone who worked in a medical scientific field and just couldn't figure how they could pass a degree level physics test but still think the moon is either only 30 miles up and/or a projection. Completely illogical.

Sorry, Rant over.

What amused me about some of what was on display as they were using computing tools to "prove" their ideas.

One such was where they had a diagram created in Autocad (they specifically state it was 2016 version!) which proved their theories and the other was some calculations "proven" by an Excel spreadsheet.

I was always taught with computer programs that it was SISO - sh*t in = sh*t out!

It's a bit like me saying I am a Master Carpenter because I have a hammer! (sorry - ommer)

I wanted to get closer to the display to get a better set of photos of the rubbish but when I approached I got accosted by one of their conspiracy merchants trying to reel me in.

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4

36 minutes ago, Ian J. said:

I would put it down to wilful blindness. They have evidence in front of them for what something is, but just choose to live in their own distorted reality because the facts don't suit their beliefs (a bit like some well known leaders in the world today).

Brexit and HS2 fall into the above!

• Agree 3

17 hours ago, melmerby said:

What amused me about some ... using computing tools to "prove" their ideas.

... One such was where they had a diagram created in Autocad (they specifically state it was 2016 version!)

I have to admit Autocad always bothered me about not conceding the curvature of the Earth in 3D (particularly when checking inter-visibility over long distances)

Are you saying Autocad's  latest upgrades now compensate? 

dh (in pedant mode)

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, runs as required said:

I have to admit Autocad always bothered me about not conceding the curvature of the Earth in 3D (particularly when checking inter-visibility over long distances)

dh (in pedant mode)

No idea.

My Missus was used to it when she worked in a drawing office (20 years ago!) but I'm not au fait with it at all.

2 hours ago, runs as required said:

dh (in pedant mode)

I don't think anything could compensate for their stupidity!

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, newbryford said:

There are members of the Flat Earth Society all around the globe.............

No, they have been sent to the four corners of the earth and have gone to the ends of the earth.

Ergo, the earth is flat.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
On 13/09/2019 at 07:59, melmerby said:

What amused me about some of what was on display as they were using computing tools to "prove" their ideas.

One such was where they had a diagram created in Autocad (they specifically state it was 2016 version!) which proved their theories and the other was some calculations "proven" by an Excel spreadsheet.

I was always taught with computer programs that it was SISO - sh*t in = sh*t out!

It's a bit like me saying I am a Master Carpenter because I have a hammer! (sorry - ommer)

I wanted to get closer to the display to get a better set of photos of the rubbish but when I approached I got accosted by one of their conspiracy merchants trying to reel me in.

I always wonder if these people REALLY believe that the Earth is flat, or they are just pushing memberships in a society for commission?

The world (all around it!) is full of shysters selling stuff of no or marginal benefit, why is this one any different?

• Agree 4

On 12/09/2019 at 22:23, Ian J. said:

I would put it down to wilful blindness. They have evidence in front of them for what something is, but just choose to live in their own distorted reality because the facts don't suit their beliefs (a bit like some well known leaders in the world today).

I work with a rampant tinfoil hat wearer, has things on his screens the he believes stops the authorities from telepathically convincing him how to vote/what to buy/what to eat etc etc etc.  He believes there are 9 levels, each containing a city, below Prestwick Airport, populated by different species of aliens, purely because the US military us the airport as a refueling point.  Some of the other things he comes out with are just priceless.  He got a good verbal pasting this week when he stated with the 9/11 conspiracies.

We reckon he'll end up in the jail at some point, he can get very threatening when anyone disagree's with his crazy talk.  Oh and he is a flat-earther.

An absolute roaster of a fellow, and the worrying thing is he has kids

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, melmerby said:

But that's not lager.

It's Bud, which has it's own description which owes nothing to brewing.........:D

Anheuser Busch Inbev.  An alcoholic beverages conglomerate bet on world domination. Worth reading  Miracle Brew or Three Sheets to the Wind by Pete Brown for a view on their business practises.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

Anheuser Busch Inbev.  An alcoholic beverages conglomerate bet on world domination. Worth reading  Miracle Brew or Three Sheets to the Wind by Pete Brown for a view on their business practises.

It's amazing/shameful how it's come from being a respected regional brewer in Leuven making decent pop, to a world dominant company with a host of factory made clone "beverages" which I personally wouldn't touch with a bargepole.

Edited by melmerby
  • Agree 2