The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Things that make you :)

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, TheQ said:

if at first  you you never succeed....... you are a politician..

Corrected for myself

• Like 1
  • Funny 5

Guest CLARENCE
5 hours ago, luckymucklebackit said:

If at first you don't succeed, cheat!

This became one of my class's favourite sayings of mine when I was a teacher!

• RMweb Premium

It's the silly season again.

The flat earth people were in Brum today (must be preaching to a gullible crowd:jester:)

One of the arguments was that satellites cannot be orbiting earth as the melting point of the metal is less than the temperature up there!nutters.jpg.ac3603880226234333a9075bd426a75a.jpg

• Like 1
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Premium

From Northern Rail’s website today.

19:18 Leeds to Lancaster due 21:14

Last updated 19:45:52 12/09/2019

19:18 Leeds to Lancaster due 21:14 is being delayed at Shipley by 14 minutes, will be further delayed at Skipton and is expected to be 17 minutes late.
This is due to waiting for a part of the train to be attached.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, melmerby said:

It's the silly season again.

The flat earth people were in Brum today (must be preaching to a gullible crowd:jester:)

One of the arguments was that satellites cannot be orbiting earth as the melting point of the metal is less than the temperature up there!

It might be funny if it weren't so appalling that there can be people in a modern society that believe this. There's so many easy ways to show to yourself that earth is a sphere; as a child I remember being impressed that we could not see a ship out to sea when at sea level, but just climbing a cliff allowed us to see further around the curve. That doesn't work on a flat surface! I honestly despair of such willful distortion of very simple factual evidence which leads to all sorts of idiotic conspiracy theories. I heard this kind of twaddle from someone who worked in a medical scientific field and just couldn't figure how they could pass a degree level physics test but still think the moon is either only 30 miles up and/or a projection. Completely illogical.

Sorry, Rant over.

Edited by Ramblin Rich
apologies for ranting!
  • Like 2
  • Agree 14
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
39 minutes ago, Ramblin Rich said:

It might be funny if it weren't so appalling that there can be people in a modern society that believe this. There's so many easy ways to show to yourself that earth is a sphere; as a child I remember being impressed that we could not see a ship out to sea when at sea level, but just climbing a cliff allowed us to see further around the curve. That doesn't work on a flat surface! I honestly despair of such willful distortion of very simple factual evidence which leads to all sorts of idiotic conspiracy theories. I heard this kind of twaddle from someone who worked in a medical scientific field and just couldn't figure how they could pass a degree level physics test but still think the moon is either only 30 miles up and/or a projection. Completely illogical.

Sorry, Rant over.

I would put it down to wilful blindness. They have evidence in front of them for what something is, but just choose to live in their own distorted reality because the facts don't suit their beliefs (a bit like some well known leaders in the world today).

• Agree 5