The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Things that make you :)

Andy Y

On 17/07/2019 at 23:26, Ian J. said:

Romans 13:1: "Let every person be in subjection to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God and those which exist are established by God."

Former Attorney General Jeff Sessions rolled out Romans 13 to defend US federal administration policy last year.

It was not received well. There was a significant discussion of it (and it's historical political precedent from ~150 years ago) in the press at the time.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

A careful choice of biblical passage can support just about anything.

An equally careful choice can condem the same thing.

Edited by ian
  • Agree 6

I'm afraid some of us don't share your view of the Bible being a 'work of fiction '. I suggest you might not feel sufficiently easy at describing the Quran or other religious texts as such - so it would be kinder not to say this about the Bible.

Edited by Giles
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, Giles said:

I'm afraid some of us don't share your view of the Bible being a 'work of fiction '. I suggest you might not feel sufficiently easy at describing the Quran or other religious texts as such - so it would be kinder not to say this about the Bible.

Having "done" religion, I have my views, you have yours, lets leave it at that.

Mike.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

The Hebrew teacher says to her class, "We have recently
been learning how powerful kings and queens were in
Bible times. But, there is a higher power. Can anybody
tell me what it is?"
"Aces," says Sarah.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, raymw said:

The Hebrew teacher says to her class, "We have recently
been learning how powerful kings and queens were in
Bible times. But, there is a higher power. Can anybody
tell me what it is?"
"Aces," says Sarah.

Left & right bowers?

On ‎17‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 23:11, kevinlms said:

Paying income tax, is NOT against 'God's Will'...

On ‎18‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 07:26, Ian J. said:

As usual their defence is contradictory. I did a quick Google search which brought up two references from their bible:

Matthew 22:21: Jesus said "Render to Caesar the things that are Caesar's; and to God the things that are God's."

Romans 13:1: "Let every person be in subjection to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God and those which exist are established by God."...

The key text from the tradition that underpins the Western world is 'You'll be sorry' delivered by Samuel circa 1000 BCE.

The people are living in a sort of loose theocratic republic, managed by a priestly system that taxes them very moderately. They ask Samuel for a KING, and he tells them the downside: set a human government over yourself and it will find all sorts of ways of inflicting extra taxes. And if you make this decision, then when you complain, God will not hear you, so don't bother complaining. 1 Samuel c 8. It's very funny. Strangely most practising christians haven't read it for comprehension...

On ‎19‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 14:24, eastglosmog said:

So would the bit from Romans be the reason James 1st and 6th and Charles 1st (and a few other rulers) claimed the divine right of kings?  Didn't go to well for Charles.

No. That was a theory advanced by sycophants of power crazy bleeders, or as they preferred to be called, 'doctors of the church' 'theologians' and so on...

I could drone on about the true anointing, but that's probably enough for now.

• Like 1

• Administrators
28 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Seems strange that only one post was deleted!

Mike.

It was automatically quarantined following a couple of reports whilst I was out snapping tiny trains.

• Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Ceptic said:

Whatever you do, don't put candles in the dishwasher. Sorry, no pictures.

I don't recommend sending them through the post when it's 40 degrees out either.  Took me a while to work out what had happened and what it was when I opened it. 

IMG_20190211_165142.jpg

• Funny 10

• RMweb Premium

Heard a guy on the radio tonight driving home.

He was at a meeting with his phone set to silent mode. Later on checking, there was a missed call from 'Dad'.

Problem was his father had died 6 months prior!

So he rang his mother to see if she'd rung him, she hadn't. So he asked if she still had Dad's phone. She said that while she still had the phone, the service had been cancelled, after his death.

So he rang 'Dad's' number, where it was answered by a lady in Townsville (he lives in Melbourne 2600 km away).

Turns out that she'd recently bought a new phone, with a new number, which was obviously recycled. She had accidentally dialled a wrong number and got the late ex-owners son!

Creepy or what!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
21 hours ago, roundhouse said:

If you modelled this tree, no one would believe it to be prototypical

EugeneTree2019_(1).jpg

I would, happens a lot in Australia, especially fire prone areas.

Sometimes split like the above, sometimes butchered on one side only.

Saw a line of trees one time on an excursion (line long since closed to passengers normally), where the trees had been 'modified' by a contractor, by the expedient of ripping the branches off one side - presumably with a chain & winch!

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, kevinlms said:

He was at a meeting with his phone set to silent mode. Later on checking, there was a missed call from 'Dad'.

So he rang his mother to see if she'd rung him, she hadn't. So he asked if she still had Dad's phone. She said that while she still had the phone, the service had been cancelled, after his death.

So he rang 'Dad's' number, where it was answered by a lady in Townsville (he lives in Melbourne 2600 km away).

Turns out that she'd recently bought a new phone, with a new number, which was obviously recycled. She had accidentally dialled a wrong number and got the late ex-owners son!

Creepy or what!

It happens more than you would think. I know someone who was refused a VISA to visit the USA because his phone number had previously been on a CIA watch list for suspected terrorism. The weird thing is that it was a company telephone, and we had a whole block of numbers surrounding his!

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold

We had to take our cat to the vet last week. While we were waiting, the previous customer emerged - a woman with a rabbit. What made us smile, however, was that the rabbit wasn't in a carrier like normal - it was on a lead!

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Nick C said:

We had to take our cat to the vet last week. While we were waiting, the previous customer emerged - a woman with a rabbit. What made us smile, however, was that the rabbit wasn't in a carrier like normal - it was on a lead!

Are you sure it wasn't a new fashionable type of dog?

• Funny 2

9 hours ago, kevinlms said:

Creepy or what!

It ties neatly into my theory that there are actually only about ~300 real people in Australia. It's the only way to explain the plethora of weird coincidences that seem to happen here. 

9 hours ago, kevinlms said:

I would, happens a lot in Australia, especially fire prone areas.

Sometimes split like the above, sometimes butchered on one side only.

Saw a line of trees one time on an excursion (line long since closed to passengers normally), where the trees had been 'modified' by a contractor, by the expedient of ripping the branches off one side - presumably with a chain & winch!

Yup. We've got a big Karri on our block which has branches on only one side due to the proximity of power lines on the other. It's bowing quite noticeably due to the uneven weight distribution. Out and about, there are many Oddly shaped trees for similar reasons. The one in the photo would be noteworthy but by no means unique. 

10 hours ago, kevinlms said:

Creepy or what!

Recycling phone numbers happens more often than the telcos like to admit. In a former job my boss got a new work mobile and insisted on a new number that hadn't been recycled. Telstra assured him it was a new number. About 2 days after he got the phone he got a heap of text messages wishing him a happy birthday.

Cheers

David

• Like 2