The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Things that make you :)

Andy Y

I said to my mate, "I can remember the first time I visited Liverpool, I found it so very hard to leave."
He said, "Did you fall in love with the birth place of "The Beatles", the people and it's music, the culture, the beauty of the waterfront..?"

I said, "No, I had my bloody car stolen."

• Like 3
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Tangoman69 said:

I said to my mate, "I can remember the first time I visited Liverpool, I found it so very hard to leave."
He said, "Did you fall in love with the birth place of "The Beatles", the people and it's music, the culture, the beauty of the waterfront..?"

I said, "No, I had my bloody car stolen."

The only time I had to stay in Liverpool I had my car broken into (a Ford)

The guy who managed the hotel said the problem with leaving a Ford anywhere in Liverpool is that everyone has a full set of Ford keys!*

Nor a very good indictment of the place and yes he was a Scouser!

* This was when Halewood made lots of Fords

Edited by melmerby
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Back in the mid to late 90s My stepdad parked at the liver building during the day in his Ford Fiesta van only to come back 30 mins later and find it stolen.

he got it back sans alloy wheels (chrome RS2000 alloys) and alpine stereo but worst of all he had hidden the weeks takings from my mums shoe shop/market stalls under the seat as he was worried about walking round with about £3k cash on him before he had a chance to visit the bank 

i bet the thief couldnt believe his luck when he looked under the seat and found the money bag! 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, melmerby said:

The only time I had to stay in Liverpool I had my car broken into (a Ford)

The guy who managed the hotel said the problem with leaving a Ford anywhere in Liverpool is that everyone has a full set of Ford keys!*

Nor a very good indictment of the place and yes he was a Scouser!

* This was when Halewood made lots of Fords

And probably when car locking systems weren't very sophisticated.

I once visited a Main Dealer in Liverpool in my role with the car manufacturer I worked for. I had arranged to meet the General Manager but when I arrived was greeted by the Regional Manager for the Dealership group. He told me that they had relocated the General Manager elsewhere because they needed a Liverpudlian wise to the local population to be able to deal with them without being "ripped off".

That was at least twenty years ago and I expect things are a bit different know.

7 minutes ago, big jim said:

seems wrong to put this in the things that make you smile thread but the latest Odin the cat update is devastating 

he went out this morning and was happily playing in the garden coming and going for food, this afternoon i was a bit concerned i couldn't see him so we looked round the back garden and shouted him, looking down the drive my wife spotted him under a pallet we had something delivered on a while back however when i lifted it up he had been crushed under it, i think it must have fell as he tried to climb it and its fallen on him and crushed him, unfortunately there was nothing we could do as he was dead, he wasnt cold so hadnt been there long but it was pretty obvious he was gone, my wife got him and took him to the vet who have kept hold of the body for a couple of days until we decide what to do with him

the hardest part was breaking the news to the kids who like the rest of us are absolutely devastated, im typing this with panda eyes and tears streaming down my face, we have only had him 3 months and nursed him from the brink of death the first night we got him where my wife had to keep him warm and feed him hourly after being found abandoned in a factory to being a beautiful healthy tom cat who quite simply was one of the family and felt like he had always been here despite only being with us a short time, we feeel so gutted to have lost him through a tragic accident in such a short time

BF775C6C-D91A-4586-9F45-FCF1C05D1DCA.jpg

77D4263A-9C2E-4BA8-B3E2-32797E00C356.jpg

If 'CLARENCE' doesn't mind, perhaps post in his "Goodbye little friend" thread Jim?

It'd be nice I think to have a virtual remembrance garden for our much missed animal companions.

Further, my condolences Jim, his rescue story pleased me greatly. Not much solace, but he passed away a loved moggy, which is a damn sight more than the a**hole that abandoned him offered.

C6T. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 9
  • Thanks 1

Guest CLARENCE

So sad, so sad to hear this; we lost our own cat only a couple of days ago, as some of you know. I think that a virtual "remembrance" thread would be nice. If anyone wants to add their own photos and memories of past pets to my "Goodbye little friend" thread, you'd be very welcome.

David

Be strong Jim, you've invested a lot of love in that little mog. I and I'm sure many others wholly appreciate that.

He left this world with the benefit of your family's love and care within him and your family should be grateful for the joy he reciprocally gave. Additionally to the interested on RMWeb.

C6T. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

Jim, very sorry to read about Odin, he was almost like the Rmweb cat. 

But rest in the knowledge you all gave him the love he'd not had for the first part of his short life.

You know what they say about cats not having owners, well Lola could well turn out having you as servants.

If she decides she'll most likely adopt you, nevermind being fostered:-)

• Like 4
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Well the foster cat has arrived and already put smiles back in our faces, keep thinking Odin is going to walk through the door any minute though

I don’t know what it is about our house and cats but the foster cat came in and within minutes of her being let out if the carrier was sat in the conservatory like she owned the place, found a comfy cushion and claimed it as her own!

she must feel so at ease and happy having a fuss off all of us after being unloved and neglected for the latest part of her life (apparently she is 8 years old and the current owner had got bored of her and decided not to feed her any more!)  as I say how long we will have her I don’t know, could be days, weeks or years! 

• Like 18
  • Round of applause 1

Guest CLARENCE
14 hours ago, big jim said:

Right, back to things that will make you smile

nothing will ever replace Odin but we were sat round last night and we agreed that we should get a cat as soon as we feel up to it as the house feels so empty already without him here running round like a loon 

anyway my wife had been in conversation with a friend via text message who works in a home for cats that need ‘fostering’ while they wait for a new owner, the place is having to turn cats away due to having no space and by some quirk of fate this afternoon we are getting our first “foster cat” an adult female called Lola who had been abandoned in a skip by her previous owner 

how long we will have her I don’t know !

Good on yer! She'll probably adopt you, just like Odin.

Edited by CLARENCE
Spelling!