The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Things that make you :)

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

On my trip to the Harz we had a few rides next to the smokebox

post-6968-0-73694300-1538154307_thumb.jpg

Then we noticed what the driver had put on top of the pump linkage so he could see it going up and down easily . . .

post-6968-0-41783500-1538154414_thumb.jpg

It's a Harz Witch rubber duck ;)

• Like 5

48 years ago I joined British Leyland from Ford and made my introductory tour of the various car plants.  I was allowed to wander through the Jaguar engine plant to see the XJ6 engines being made.  I was amazed to see that one group of machines had a series of notices on them all in German.  Curious, I asked the operative why this was so.  His reply astonished me even more.  They're in German because these machine tools have been here since before WW1 when this was Daimler's factory. . . .

Further on I noticed a cigarette carton impaled on the spindle of a vertical drill.  Curious once again I asked what it was for.  That's so I can see if it's still going round while I'm some distance away I was told.  Ah the days of premium products made on ancient equipment by skilled craftsmen.

Strangely, I never had any desire to have a Jag as a company car.

Stan

• Like 1