The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Things that make you :)

Andy Y

My wife: (ex schoolteacher) “ tell me, what is the best bit you like about school?”

5 year old granddaughter: “when the teacher says you can go and play”

Nothing's changed in decades, then.

The bit I liked best about primary school was when the teacher told me I could stay inside reading my way through the complete set of "Just William" books lined up along the shelf along the back of the room.

I like to think that while the rest of the the lads were out flicking cigarette cards or playing "paper, stone" etc, Richmal Crompton's contribution to English Literature was giving me the edge when it came to the eleven plus.

Edit: punctuation (dock a mark)! 

Edited by bluebottle
  • Like 3

The homages to Bowie and Adams were really nice. As well as a the words DON'T PANIC it carried a copy of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, a towel and a copy of Asimov's Foundation series on optical disc. The original manufacturing plate has been replaced by one saying "Made on Earth by humans".

According to a clip from the Elon Musk post-launch presser (about 7:00 minutes in here) there is also a miniature (Hot Wheels) Tesla roadster with a miniature Starman somewhere in the car as well.

I think it might be ahead of the gauges.

post-1819-0-43007600-1518071535.jpg

I mean it's kind of silly and fun but I think that silly and fun things are important, and normally for a new rocket, you know, they launch like a block of concrete or something like that - I mean that's so boring.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 2

It sounds like the Eagles but I don't know the track . . 

The radio, and television, series of Hitch-hikers Guide to The Galaxy also used an Eagles track

Having read the books, listened to the radio series, and watched the TV series, I think the Tesla copying a sun-surfer  pure class.

John

Edited by Two_sugars
  • Like 2

It sounds like the Eagles but I don't know the track . . 

The radio, and television, series of Hitch-hikers Guide to The Galaxy also used an Eagles track

Having read the books, listened to the radio series, and watched the TV series, I think the Tesla copying a sun-surfer  pure class.

John

"Journey of the Sorcerer", from the album "One of these Nights"

Jim

• RMweb Premium

"Journey of the Sorcerer", from the album "One of these Nights"

Jim

But only by the Eagles on the original radio series, the rest are re-recordings

Keith

Edited by melmerby

As a matter of interest, does anyone know what, and by whom, the music track is - backing the tesla video - I rather like it

"Takin' a Ride (Heavy Metal)" by Don Felder, lead guitarist from The Eagles. It was written for the 1981 animated film Heavy Metal.

This is the opening sequence of the film.

Takin' a Ride was used in another sequence, but in parodies it's often pared with a convertible in space. (If you're a fan of South Park you might know that episode.)

Cheers

David

Edited by DavidB-AU

I suspect that's a very contrived "quote". It is pretty easy to find a stupid coffee table and is famously the focus of relationship strife in "When Harry Met Sally" even to the extent of the adjective "stupid".

"This stupid wagon wheel, Roy Rogers, garage sale, coffee table."

Edited by Ozexpatriate

Now if I was planning a career as a naked musician I don’t think I’d have chosen the piano accordion, I give you Quim...

post-6861-0-17472700-1518283677_thumb.jpeg

And heaven knows where his parents got the name Quim from, well, actually, I might have an idea.