The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Things that make you :)

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium

Mushrooms covered in melatonin are thriving on the high radioactivity around Chernobyl - "... the melanin-containing breeds absorb the high levels of energy in ionizing radiation and somehow turn it into a biologically useful (and benign) form, akin to a dark and dangerous version of photosynthesis."

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/radiation-helps-fungi-grow/

Makes me smile because life on Earth cannot be so easily wiped out!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I signed up and sat through for one of the HMRC webinars earlier this week, the subject was "Employers - what's new for 2018".

At the end, our host wished everyone, "good luck".

- Richard.

Ah, yes, Walmart, so pictured,  filled with weirdos,....and they sell guns too ?...to these sort of weirdos ?.

My kind of store ?...  I think not.

A reminder to UK shoppers that Asda are part of the Walmart chain and these folks may be, soon, appearing in the aisles of your local branch.

Be warned, and, be prepared.

Mushrooms covered in melatonin are thriving on the high radioactivity around Chernobyl - "... the melanin-containing breeds absorb the high levels of energy in ionizing radiation and somehow turn it into a biologically useful (and benign) form, akin to a dark and dangerous version of photosynthesis."

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/radiation-helps-fungi-grow/

Makes me smile because life on Earth cannot be so easily wiped out!

Most plant life are incredibly good at absorbing and trapping ionizing radioactive material (Chernobyl's "Red Forest" pines and tobacco plants are notable examples) but this is the first I've heard of one converting it into a benign form! The Red Forest has round-the-clock fire wardens because any conflagration would release trapped radioactive material back into the atmosphere and it would be like a second meltdown!