The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Things that make you :)

Andy Y

Alf Garnett never really went away, did he? He still lives within every single one of us.

TBH that is more Benny Hill than Alf Garnet.  I watched that Channel 4 program "It was alright in the 1970s" and it was interesting to watch the reaction of young people to comedy that oldies like me considered inoffensive back then, anyone or anything was a target and very few complained.

Jim

• RMweb Premium

TBH that is more Benny Hill than Alf Garnet.  I watched that Channel 4 program "It was alright in the 1970s" and it was interesting to watch the reaction of young people to comedy that oldies like me considered inoffensive back then, anyone or anything was a target and very few complained.

Jim

Sadly many didn't get the joke with Alf Garnet, as the series was putting the idea of racism to ridicule. As a pre-war east end Jewish boy Warren Mitchell (MISELL) knew all about that.

• RMweb Gold

Jim

I watch quite a lot of older BBC comedy shows on Channel 19 and it is amazing what language is used in some of them.  Doesn't worry me in the least but some lines in 'Porridge' would probably lead to prosecution if they were broadcast in a contemporary comedy.

I'm not at all sure if we might have gone too far down the PC road?

(BTW I have a cousin twice removed who is Chinese and have worked with a number of Chinese people in both the UK and overseas and their sense of humour has at times been interesting to say the least although I reckon Aussie Chinese are probably more Aussie than their ethnicity suggests).

Acrobat to clown;

-'How Long is a Chinese'-

Clown:

-'How do I know?! There's long Chinese, there's short Chinese, how do I know how long is a Chinese?!'-

Acrobat:

-'No, you're not listening! I said How Long is a Chinese, as is his brother So Long!'-

:rofl:

:punish:

:jester:

(with apols to any offended Asian members :sorry: )

Actually that joke doesn't work. So Long is not How Long's brother. In Chinese the Surname comes first. :scratchhead:

Brian

• RMweb Premium

Taking the mickey out of another person's pronunciation is as common within societies as between them. We take the p*ss out of Scouser, Scottish, East London, Manchester, Geordie, West Country, Esturary, Posh, etc., regularly here, and I'm sure the same is done to equivalent groups in other countries by the people in those countries.

The real problem is when taking the p*ss becomes deliberately demeaning and is used to exclude those people from society.

Remember: comedy almost always takes the p*ss out of someone to get its laugh.

I'm not at all sure if we might have gone too far down the PC road?

(BTW I have a cousin twice removed who is Chinese....

That seems like a failure in the immigration system, if someone is removed, able to get back in, and has to be removed again :jester:.

• Like 2

Taking the mickey out of another person's pronunciation is as common within societies as between them. We take the p*ss out of Scouser, Scottish, East London, Manchester, Geordie, West Country, Esturary, Posh, etc., regularly here, and I'm sure the same is done to equivalent groups in other countries by the people in those countries.

The real problem is when taking the p*ss becomes deliberately demeaning and is used to exclude those people from society.

I grew up with the impression that all the p*ss taking of people who were different, whether it was nationality, colour, culture or language, was just harmless and friendly banter. I don't think there was any intention to cause offence or harm. Maybe that was a wrong impression, but it certainly wasn't intended to cause harm.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

One of my former work mates, a Pakistani guy from small Heath in Birmingham helped me out one day while I was selling a car on eBay, I had an Asian buyer turn up then play dumb pretending he didn't understand me and tried to make out he would only pay such and such amount for the car, after a few minutes I gave amjad a ring and asked if he could help me out, put the phone on speaker, they had a conversation in Urdu and all of a sudden the guy could understand me perfectly

Next day in work I saw amjad and thanked him for his help

"yeah no problem jim, glad I could help , tell you one thing though Don't trust those Bradford 's"

"Well I'm glad you said that and not me" was my reply

(Filter has taken out a demeaning word for a Pakistani person)

Edited by big jim

Yes and don't 'we' know it :onthequiet:

Load of saddo trainspotters on here according to many so called comedians and a good part of the national media as well :triniti:

PS, It doesn't bother me in the slightest who wants to watch 22 ####### (insert your own derogatory term) kicking a bag of wind about :jester:

PPS, Please take this with pinch of salt, don't want to spoil the thread

Having left my native Liverpool to go and live darnsarf many years ago, I married and raised my family in the home counties.  On a visit to my sister, who remained oopnorth, her son asked her, "Why do Uncle Stanley's children talk with a funny voice?"  The reply was, "Well, Michael, Uncle Stanley's children come from down south so they have what you call a cockney accent.  You come from Liverpool, you don't have an accent."

Stan

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Acrobat to clown;

-'How Long is a Chinese'-

Clown:

-'How do I know?! There's long Chinese, there's short Chinese, how do I know how long is a Chinese?!'-

Acrobat:

-'No, you're not listening! I said How Long is a Chinese, as is his brother So Long!'-

:rofl:

:punish:

:jester:

(with apols to any offended Asian members :sorry: )

Not forgetting the famous Abbott and Costello sketch which still stands the test of time (takes about 1m 30s to properly start in this version)

• Like 2

Comedy = tragedy + timing

I grew up with the impression that all the p*ss taking of people who were different, whether it was nationality, colour, culture or language, was just harmless and friendly banter. I don't think there was any intention to cause offence or harm. Maybe that was a wrong impression, but it certainly wasn't intended to cause harm.

This is a great comment. My thoughts on the matter have changed over the years. A little gentle natured ribbing between friends (in a situation where no harm is clearly meant) is fine though personally I am deeply ashamed of the deeply off-colour jokes that as a teen-aged schoolboy my mates and I would pass around the school. They were way off piste. 

Arguably the saving grace is that the subjects of these "jokes" were not around to hear them.  These days I'm more inclined to think of it in terms of the zen proverb: "If the subject of derision isn't around to hear it, is it still offensive?" And I have to conclude that ridiculing any minority affects how I think about them.

One of the things that has changed in our lifetimes is that in the contemporary world communications are instant and global and anything communicated electronically will impact those derided - hence twitter rage.

I grew up with the English slang words for every conceivable minority including all the European ones like references to amphibians for the French, cabbage for the Germans and less complimentary terms for the Italians and the Spanish. Given a millennium or so of armed conflict amongst the nation states in Europe the existence of these terms wasn't surprising but reinforcing 'in-group' versus 'out-group' thinking with such language divides people - and can do so with disastrous consequences.

Not forgetting the famous Abbott and Costello sketch which still stands the test of time

The beauty of "who's on first" is that it is strictly word play and is not about pejoratives for minorities.

• Like 1

Ebbsfleet = A*se-end of nowhere, with no thing there, but a station going spare.

Ebbsfleet = some grotty hole in Kent  :jester:

Grotty hole in the sense of "back end of Northfleet that used to be a chalk quarry, but we don't want to call it Northfleet because that's got a bit of a reputation, so we'll make up a new name for it".

On the plus side, it's a lot less crowded and manic than St Pancras for catching the Eurostar, and it's easy to get to (or quickly away from!) by car or train.

It could be worse at least ebbsfleet is close to civilisation. Come up to Barrow where you have to go through Nowhere city turn west and keep going for 35 miles.

It could be worse at least ebbsfleet is close to civilisation. Come up to Barrow where you have to go through Nowhere city turn west and keep going for 35 miles.

• Like 1