The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Things that make you :)

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium

Today June 15th is the UK's national BEER day.

And by some strange coincidence......

On June 15th 1853, Johannes Brahms met Franz Liszt for the first time.

Don't over do it!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

they sell 4 with onions -227gm for £1.00. Still saying British beef, but what else?  so eight of them for same weight of whatever, but for two quid.

'British beef' of itself as a term can mean no more than that the meat was processed from a carcass (which could have been imported and might even be from an animal which we would not normally think of as providing beef) into various constituent parts and meat products.  If it is from a British raised animal it is likely to include much more information, and possibly a 'Tractor mark' to indicate the fact.  (Which is why don't buy such meats - we want to know a lot more about its origin than the term 'British beef' conveys.)

• Like 1

'British beef' of itself as a term can mean no more than that the meat was processed from a carcass (which could have been imported and might even be from an animal which we would not normally think of as providing beef) into various constituent parts and meat products.  If it is from a British raised animal it is likely to include much more information, and possibly a 'Tractor mark' to indicate the fact.  (Which is why don't buy such meats - we want to know a lot more about its origin than the term 'British beef' conveys.)

Straight from the horses mouth...

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Whilst I am in agreement with your post Mike, unfortunately the tractor mark was devalued shortly after its implementation when some Dutch farmers successfully applied to use it on their vegetables.  There is a disconnect (some might use the word 'dishonesty' in this context) between what the people think is meant by a label or marketing claim and the standards they think ought to be applied.  Take for example McDonald's advertising using the term '100% British and Irish beef'.  In addition to the point you make above they only need to source a tiny percentage of their meat from Britain for this to be an accurate statement and this could even be beef that has simply been moved across the border to Northern Ireland prior to slaughter.

I purchase meat from two local farms run by people I trust.  Thus, though still not 100% guaranteed, I feel that I know the origin of the meat, the welfare standards under which the animals have been raised, what they have been fed and what standards have been applied at slaughter plus I have the added bonus of supporting the local economy.  Such meat costs a little more (not the inflated supermarket organic premiums though) but this is easily balanced by eating less meat over all.

Edited by teaky
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Weeds are illegal? I'd better be prepared for a raid then. I've got several acres of them :O.

Wow! A garden that big! Best thing you can do is build a model railway in it.

Wow! A garden that big! Best thing you can do is build a model railway in it.

Can't afford it, or I'd have trains running everywhere :). Anyway, most of it is officially agricultural land, so the planners might take too much interest!

• RMweb Premium

Can't afford it, or I'd have trains running everywhere :). Anyway, most of it is officially agricultural land, so the planners might take too much interest!

An agricultural garden railway, then?

• Like 1