The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Things that make you :)

Andy Y

Ahead of you there young Porcy my good man, I saved the Dulux '1972 Porsche Targa Lime Green' for the kitchen...

Crikey. Me owld mum had that very same wallpaper in the downstairs water closet. Thank you for reminding my eyeballs of the assault they were subjected to almost fifty years ago.

There is no doubt you are a gentleman of great discernment. Somehow, it looks like you've found my grannies broom & it looks like stuffed courgettes for dinner.

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 2

I spent 25 years looking forward to my life being like this, and every day since 1999 I have been disappointed.

attachicon.gifIMG_0186.JPG.

From the look of that photograph I'd say they were right with the prediction that any future advances in medical science would not sort out Martin Landau's piles.

I much preferred the chosen clothing of S.H.A.D.O.W. operatives. (Not for me to wear, you understand.)

post-508-0-71651600-1491941352.jpg

P

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 4

I saved the Dulux '1972 Porsche Targa Lime Green' for the kitchen...

The 1970s.

Hessian wall weave, conversation pits, appliances in avocado, mustard, burnt orange and sienna, macrame, textured wallpaper in contrasting repeating patterns.

My family had an avocado coloured telephone and my dad painted the kitchen cabinets in an apple green Sir Nigel would approve of.  It did brighten up the place a bit.

It is interesting to me that some of the (so called) hottest furniture styles right now (tables and chairs with angled legs and flat forms, influenced by a Scandinavian design ethos and labelled "mid-century modern") would fit right into my parents house in the 1960s.  

It makes me wonder if the stylings of the decade that taste forgot will see a resurgence in the 2020s. 

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Once I've got a two pairs of football socks, a set of coupling rods, an expansion link and me big end stuffed down there I'll look more like Buster Gonad than the suave 'man of action', Peter Wyngarde. On the positive side there's very likely a dusty bottle of Tabac in the back of the bathroom cabinet somewhere.

But will you be aiming to be arrested in a public toilet in Gloucester or are you stopping any attempt at re-creation short of that?   :jester:  :jester:  :jester:

(For those too young to recall or know of the incident Peter Wyngarde was arrested and convicted for committing ann act of Gross Indecency in a public toilet in Gloucester in 1975 - I've always wondered why Gloucester??)

It makes me wonder if the stylings of the decade that taste forgot will see a resurgence in the 2020s. 

Let's hope not!  :smile_mini2:  My ankles will be far to weak by then. Anybody that wore platform shoes back in the day will understand my thinking.

Edited by Porcy Mane

• RMweb Gold

But will you be aiming to be arrested in a public toilet in Gloucester or are you stopping any attempt at re-creation short of that?   :jester:  :jester:  :jester:

(For those too young to recall or know of the incident Peter Wyngarde was arrested and convicted for committing ann act of Gross Indecency in a public toilet in Gloucester in 1975 - I've always wondered why Gloucester??)

Something had to happen once in Gloucester, so presumably dear old Peter gave the town it's moment of glory.

Mike.

Whatever Peter’s orientation he’s a nice guy! I knew him well in the late seventies early eighties. A good (but not great) pistol shot, IIRC he was invited down to a certain establishment in Hereford a few times with my “club” . The only man I’ve known with a deeper voice than mine.

If you walked into a Pub with Peter he was an instant chick magnet - which as he was not really interested was great for any other man with him....

Best, Pete.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Something had to happen once in Gloucester, so presumably dear old Peter gave the town it's moment of glory.

Mike.

Unfortunately, Fred West made it inglorious.

Cheers,

Mick

In Pre M4 days Gloucester left a big impression on this pre school kid.

Nowt to do with F West or Mr Wyngarde. On the many journeys from Durham to Cornwall or vice versa we would divert to visit family friends in Tuffley. Where we turned off the A38 there was a small industrial tank on a plinth next to a roundabout that I always looked out for and one Easter whilst been driven down one street there was a bl**dy great aircraft firmly embedded in the roof of the last house. 

Yep Gloucester certainly left an impression on me.

P

• RMweb Gold

My one and only experience of Gloucester, driving, not just passing through on the train, was one sunday evening in the early 70's, doing Horton Road on the way back from South Wales. We arrived too late and the pavements had been rolled up and taken in and the traffic lights switched off to make sure the locals went home. I've never driven through such a dead hole, almost post apocalyptic. Even Norwich had a cafe open on sunday evening!

Mike.

...one Easter whilst been driven down one street there was a bl**dy great aircraft firmly embedded in the roof of the last house.

That would have been this, then? I'd have been impressed by that.

More impressed than I imagine the homeowner was, anyway.

Edited by jwealleans
  • Like 1

...(For those too young to recall or know of the incident Peter Wyngarde was arrested and convicted for committing an act of Gross Indecency in a public toilet in Gloucester in 1975 - I've always wondered why Gloucester??)

Yes, Tewkesbury would have had more class....

We arrived too late and the pavements had been rolled up and taken in and the traffic lights switched off to make sure the locals went home. 

They must have heard you were coming. Bet they were hiding behind the curtains and once they were sure you were on your way  :yahoo: "PARTY".

• RMweb Gold

Yes, Tewkesbury would have had more class....

We were returning to the Midlands in the late 1950s to live after a few years in Somerset. Even after all these years when the silencer dropped off the car (Ford Anglia) I remember Dad saying "of all the places for something to happen it had to be Cheltenham". I didn't like to ask why.

Whatever Peter’s orientation he’s a nice guy! I knew him well in the late seventies early eighties. A good (but not great) pistol shot, IIRC he was invited down to a certain establishment in Hereford a few times with my “club” . The only man I’ve known with a deeper voice than mine.

If you walked into a Pub with Peter he was an instant chick magnet - which as he was not really interested was great for any other man with him....

Best, Pete.

Amongst various other bits of fluff in the 'Jason King' dvd box set is an interview from 1973 between Peter and Russell Harty, he comes across as very witty, erudite and very charismatic, bless him.

Amongst various other bits of fluff in the 'Jason King' dvd box set is an interview from 1973 between Peter and Russell Harty, he comes across as very witty, erudite and very charismatic, bless him.

A bit of Googling suggests that he perpetuated (or at least turned a blind eye to) many myths about his life and, so private was he, that nobody really knows where he lives now, if indeed he's still alive. I came across a mention that he had lived - or still did live - in "West London", which could include Ealing, but I haven't seen any elderly men around here who look as though they once looked like he did.

• Like 1

he comes across as very witty, erudite and very charismatic

but did he have a fibre glass bath?

post-508-0-75106400-1492080593.jpg

...and no doubt Arthur will be making use of one of these these weekend.

post-508-0-12544800-1492081015.jpg

Nice pie.

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 2