The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Things that make you :)

Andy Y

This just makes me smile and heave a little sigh at how simple and carefree life once seemed... it must have been great being an adult in the '70s (it was pretty ok being a kid then too)...

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=youtube+martini+advert+1970s&&view=detail&mid=D2B7D8F960DE5712305ED2B7D8F960DE5712305E&rvsmid=6C05F330FACB73B14CCA6C05F330FACB73B14CCA&fsscr=-1320&FORM=VDFSRV

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Tyres filled with rammed earth is the new hippy eco building technique.......is that in Notting Hill ?

Not Notting Hill, the tyres would need to be from a Range Rover or a Porsche.

This just makes me smile and heave a little sigh at how simple and carefree life once seemed... it must have been great being an adult in the '70s 

Things are just way too complicated  (for my head) now.

post-508-0-24562000-1491821051.jpg

it must have been great being an adult in the '70s

Not to sure about the cravat wearing though. (Edit: Just remembered that lots of things [not just clothes] were coloured tangerine & brown. How did they get away with it?)

post-508-0-65904900-1491821049.jpg

(it was pretty ok being a kid then too)...

Not if you had a Raleigh RSW forced upon you when all you dreamt about was a Chopper. (I was that child.)

P

Edited by Porcy Mane

and cars that rust as soon as you look at them!

I once read an academic study that firmly put the blame on British cars rusting quicker in the 1970's being the result of using inferior imported steel. The reason so much imported steel was used was due to the many strikes in the British steel industry at the time.

Ah yes. There's another up side to the 1970's. The Industrial disputes. All the afternoons off school due to the fuel rationing and power cut rotas.

P

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I once read an academic study that firmly put the blame on British cars rusting quicker in the 1970's being the result of using inferior imported steel. The reason so much imported steel was used was due to the many strikes in the British steel industry at the time.

Ah yes. There's another up side to the 1970's. The Industrial disputes. All the afternoons off school due to the fuel rationing and power cut rotas.

P

In British Leylands case it was also due to their paint system which required an electric voltage to attract the paint to the metal, unfortunately on one of their main production lines (I can't remember which one it may have been the Allegro) the connections were reversed, so paint was being repelled from the surface. hence it didn't stick too well.

IIRC it was to do with a trade deal with the Soviet Union around 1977. They sent over a load of steel in exchange for, well dunno, Levi Jeans and Doobie Brothers albums and sent in return steel with way too many impurities from poor manufacturing. So not just BL had the problem of 1:1 scale Mazak rot but also the Italians and the French. That's why so many Alfa Suds disappeared too.