The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Things that make you :)

Andy Y

Yesterday, in a well know large chainstore hoping to be successful, rather than chasing across the city for my purchase of the following item this is what happened -

Me... "Excuse me, do you sell Daylight Bulbs please ?"

Assistant......"We won't be stocking them until March or April in our Gardening Section sir"

Me.... "No, not for the garden its for my study"

Assistant.... "I'm not certain if they'll come already potted"

Me....."Sorry maybe I didn't explain myself correctly, its to fit in my angle poise lamp"

Assistant.... "Oh! No we don't sell them but we do sell lamps " she said pointing across to the shelf "Ooops, we don't have any of those left either sorry sir !"

I give up !

And YES this really happened !

• Like 1

Yesterday, in a well know large chainstore hoping to be successful, rather than chasing across the city for my purchase of the following item this is what happened -

Me... "Excuse me, do you sell Daylight Bulbs please ?"

Assistant......"We won't be stocking them until March or April in our Gardening Section sir"

Me.... "No, not for the garden its for my study"

Assistant.... "I'm not certain if they'll come already potted"

Me....."Sorry maybe I didn't explain myself correctly, its to fit in my angle poise lamp"

Assistant.... "Oh! No we don't sell them but we do sell lamps " she said pointing across to the shelf "Ooops, we don't have any of those left either sorry sir !"

I give up !

And YES this really happened !

When I was an Engineer Cadet I asked the electrician on my first ship for a bulb and was told lamps go in lights, bulbs go in gardens. Edited by JeremyC
  • Like 2

Saw this earlier on FB. Apologies if it has been posted before.

A woman in a hot air balloon realized she was lost. She reduced altitude and spotted a man below. She descended a bit more and shouted: "'Excuse me, can you help me? I promised a friend I would meet him an hour ago but I don't know where I am". The man below replied "You're in a hot air balloon hovering approximately 30 feet above the ground. You're between 40 and 41 degrees north latitude and between 59 and 60 degrees west longitude".

"You must be a technician." said the balloonist. "I am" replied the man "how did you know?" "Well," answered the balloonist, "everything you have told me is probably technically correct, but I've no idea what to make of your information and the fact is, I'm still lost. Frankly, you've not been much help at all. If anything, you've delayed my trip with your talk."

The man below responded, "You must be in management". "I am" replied the balloonist, "but how did you know?" "Well," said the man "you don't know where you are or where you're going. You have risen to where you are, due to a large quantity of hot air. You made a promise, which you've no idea how to keep, and you expect people beneath you to solve your problems. The fact is you are in exactly the same position you were in before we met, but now, somehow, it's my f****** fault!

Edited by lightengine
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Hope it doesn't backfire.

i know what you mean, i did think 'jesus' when i got home yesterday, my wife says since she wrote it shes had loads of dog walkers stopping to tell her its not them!

we know whos doing the fag ends, a young girl sneaks out of her grandparents house for a crafty smoke in the evenings away from them and sits on our wall out of view of their house, not had a chance to speak to her yet and i dont want to drop her in it with her guardians

• Like 1

i know what you mean, i did think 'jesus' when i got home yesterday, my wife says since she wrote it shes had loads of dog walkers stopping to tell her its not them!

we know whos doing the fag ends, a young girl sneaks out of her grandparents house for a crafty smoke in the evenings away from them and sits on our wall out of view of their house, not had a chance to speak to her yet and i dont want to drop her in it with her guardians

In this street, nobody seems to have a dog and dog walkers generally don't come down to the dead-end. Hence no dog logs.

However, to compensate, I do have a few Eastern European neighbours who are very fond of cannabis, and some weekends around here in summer are a bit like walking round certain parts of Amsterdam. Likewise some of their compatriots who are refurbishing a couple of the houses here seem partial to the weed as well..... Doesn't seem to affect the local Orthodox religious community, but then again maybe they don't know what the smell is.

Edited by Horsetan
  • Like 2

However, to compensate, I do have a few Eastern European neighbours who are very fond of cannabis, and some weekends around here in summer are a bit like walking round certain parts of Amsterdam.

Well, at least they don't smell like horse. ;)

Factoring in the contact high should we disregard any posts made late on Sunday then?

• RMweb Premium

Doesn't the same thing apply on the railways?

Yes indeed it does. I have spent years trying to get that across to my colleagues, to which they reply a lamp is the thing you put a light bulb into !

• Like 1

Yes indeed it does. I have spent years trying to get that across to my colleagues, to which they reply a lamp is the thing you put a light bulb into !

Or paraffin if it is an older tail lamp. Unless you call them something different if it is not electric?