The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Things that make you :)

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium

I'm not a database geek, but I know enough about them to get it! Did Companies House really allow that name to be registered?

There are fairly strict rules about what you can call a limited company.

Perhaps not strict enough...

• RMweb Gold

That is a great idea, you have to watch through to the end.  

https://www.facebook.com/positiveenergyplus/videos/1338115582879921/

Terry.

A ship we sailed on a few years ago in the Caribean had a woman on board who'd been on for 18 cruises (7/9/10 day), Much as it's a nice holiday it would have driven me mad for that length of time.

A ship we sailed on a few years ago in the Caribean had a woman on board who'd been on for 18 cruises (7/9/10 day), Much as it's a nice holiday it would have driven me mad for that length of time.

Liverpool to Douglas and back was more than enough for me. Despite being a fan of CS Forester's "Hornblower" novels, a life on the ocean waves does not appeal.

Some people like being regularly on cruises - it's a home from home for them if they can afford it. Everything is laid on, the weather's usually alright, and they don't need to worry about a thing.

Cunard's floating block of flats to Norway was alright for the novelty of it all - and the 24-hour buffet/restaurant was frighteningly on-the-ball at 3am - but there's only so many circuits of the deck you can do before it starts to look the same.

• RMweb Gold

Some people like being regularly on cruises - it's a home from home for them if they can afford it. Everything is laid on, the weather's usually alright, and they don't need to worry about a thing.

Cunard's floating block of flats to Norway was alright for the novelty of it all - and the 24-hour buffet/restaurant was frighteningly on-the-ball at 3am - but there's only so many circuits of the deck you can do before it starts to look the same.

All depends on what you like really.  I'd hate being on one of these huge 'cruise' ships - just like being in a block of flats.  

But we have a week at sea every year - same ship, usually the same cabin, but every voyage has been different from the previous one and the principal onboard 'entertainment' is jigsaw puzzles.  Officially only English and Welsh coasts plus the Channel Islands (where we haven't been, yet) but we have been to Ireland and Scotland.  You don't know where you will board until a couple of weeks before you join the ship and you don't know where you will actually disembark until a day or two beforehand - oh and you have a very limited chance of getting ashore during your week onboard.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

I have a week on board, the same week every year, on one of these.

post-15969-0-26818300-1483961421_thumb.jpg

though I sleep on one of these,

post-15969-0-71902300-1483961530.jpg,

and my entertainment every night is in here,

post-15969-0-80961800-1483961697_thumb.jpg

and thats about as crowded as I want, and as adveturous as I want.

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium

All depends on what you like really.  I'd hate being on one of these huge 'cruise' ships - just like being in a block of flats.  

But we have a week at sea every year - same ship, usually the same cabin, but every voyage has been different from the previous one and the principal onboard 'entertainment' is jigsaw puzzles.  Officially only English and Welsh coasts plus the Channel Islands (where we haven't been, yet) but we have been to Ireland and Scotland.  You don't know where you will board until a couple of weeks before you join the ship and you don't know where you will actually disembark until a day or two beforehand - oh and you have a very limited chance of getting ashore during your week onboard.

As cruising for people who don't do cruises, I can highly recommend the Hurtigruten route round the coast of Norway.

The largest of the ships only takes 500 cruise passengers, and they are all working ships carrying passengers, cars and freight from point to point. They are almost constantly on the move, through breathtaking scenery. They make several stops a day where you can get off and have a walk around while they load and unload - tours are done by a coach picking you up at one stop, taking you somewhere interesting, and then meeting up with the ship further down the coast (apart from one which is a transfer to a small boat while under way).

Excellent food too.

The only problems are too little daylight (in winter) and too much (in summer; at some point you have to sleep and miss something), the possibility of less than perfect weather, and the price!

My wife and I have just spent Christmas on the Hurtigruten trip from Bergen to the top of Norway and back. It was excellent and all that Coryton states.  The highlights (literally) were the Northern Lights on Christmas night and the husky sleigh ride on Christmas Eve.

Highly recommended!

Stan

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

My wife and I have just spent Christmas on the Hurtigruten trip from Bergen to the top of Norway and back. It was excellent and all that Coryton states.  The highlights (literally) were the Northern Lights on Christmas night and the husky sleigh ride on Christmas Eve.

Highly recommended!

Stan

and how much was a pint? :onthequiet:

and how much was a pint? :onthequiet:

Ah yes - my most abstemious Christmas since I was about 13!  I did have one pint (£7.90) and my wife a glass of white wine (£9.50).  We also bought a couple of bottles of wine to go with dinner but I won't terrify you with the prices.  It wasn't that we couldn't afford the booze it was just common sense to go without at the prices charged.

I've made good progress with redressing the deficit since we returned . . .

Stan

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Buying alcohol on a Hurtigruten ship is a bit like what was once said about buying a Rolls Royce - if you have to ask you can't afford it.  I didn't even bother to ask (and I din't bother to buy any either)!

You could always try a cruise on this. About 220 passengers and drinks at sensible prices. Most enjoyable.

post-1191-0-94698900-1483988094_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

You could always try a cruise on this. About 220 passengers and drinks at sensible prices. Most enjoyable.

attachicon.gifIMG_9132.JPG

Very nice but a bit big for my tastes - I regard 100 passengers as a crowd onboard ship  (the one we have our trip on has a maximum passenger capacity of 12 people, and the drinks are either free - at dinner - or reasonably priced;  but it is not cheap to be there in the first place).

post-6859-0-14833800-1484044885_thumb.jpg

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 9