The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Things that make you :)

Andy Y

Noticed on the shelves in Tesco today -

Looks like Tesco's marketing/advertising people are trying to create a storm in a cup-a-soup. Nowt like a bit of controversy to pick up sales.

post-508-0-57055600-1470658525.jpg

P

this appeared on my facebook feed and  looks rather good from the trailer then is saw the cast includes one Harry styles of one direction fame  i do hope my viewing will not be ruined by hoards of prepubescent females hooting and screeching evertime here appears 

this appeared on my facebook feed and  looks rather good from the trailer then is saw the cast includes one Harry styles of one direction fame  i do hope my viewing will not be ruined by hoards of prepubescent females hooting and screeching evertime here appears 

Spoiler alert, 338,226 men escaped, including 139,997 French, Polish, and Belgian troops, together with a small number of Dutch soldiers, aboard 861 vessels.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Spoiler alert, 338,226 men escaped, including 139,997 French, Polish, and Belgian troops, together with a small number of Dutch soldiers, aboard 861 vessels.

Don't tell me the plot! I haven't seen it yet! ;)

• RMweb Premium

And they had proper haircuts!

It seems film-makers (probably the money-sensitive producers) seem to be so risk averse that they can't get the combo right. As I understand it with the army at the time, if there was facility to shave there was likely facility to cut the head hair. Conversely, if there wasn't facility to shave then there probably wasn't facility to cut head hair. So it's either short hair / no beard, or long hair / bushy beard. But I'm not a historian so I could be wrong.

• RMweb Premium

Since my Grandfather came back from Dunkirk on MONAS ISLE IV on May 29th 1940, I have read up and looked at many pictures of the event.

Whilst applauding the making of the film, if they do it properly, (are the Americans going to win?) That lot of actors are too clean, too well equipped and not knackered enough. Even the tin hats aren't battered enough, those are smarter than the ones we were issued with for the 1977 firemans strike...

Send that lot of Actors on a 30 mile route march with full kit everyday for a week (no showers and limited food), before taking most of it off of them and covering them with mud /sand.

The men coming back had been through hell, retreating across europe under fire often walking the whole way. Then sitting on the beach at Dunkirk  ( or defending the perimiter) for days being bombed and shelled while waiting for boats.

post-15969-0-57467600-1470726322_thumb.jpg

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

That lot of actors are too clean, too well equipped and not knackered enough. Even the tin hats aren't battered enough, those are smarter than the ones we were issued with for the 1977 firemans strike...

Send that lot of Actors on a 30 mile route march with full kit everyday for a week (no showers and limited food), before taking most of it off of them and covering them with mud /sand.

The men coming back had been through hell, retreating across europe under fire often walking the whole way. Then sitting on the beach at Dunkirk  ( or defending the perimiter) for days being bombed and shelled while waiting for boats.

I certainly sympathize with your posting, and feel that films of such events should better represent them than the trailer seems to. However, these are actors, and I feel it might be worth mentioning the apocryphal story of Sir Larry Olivier when working with Dustin Hoffman, when he (Larry) is said to have said 'why don't you try acting, dear boy?' when referring to Hoffman's method technique.

It is up to film-makers to do their job properly, which includes doing research and taking that research into account when the various departments sort  out their sets, make-up, costumes, etc, etc. The actors are ultimately just hires, especially in crowd scenes, and have no control other than quitting when told to do something that they might not support personally. So, if anyone is to blame for clean shaven faces, shiny hats, etc, it's the producer(s), then the director(s), then the department heads. Actors should only get flak when they actually have some control, and that's really only the a-list cast members.

• RMweb Premium

The British Army was very hot on shaving. I read a lot of memoirs and campaign and unit histories when I was a military modeller and still do. Once the troops had reached Dunkirk and were waiting for boats or defending the perimeter the NCOs would have insisted on it. It was supposed to be good for morale. Even in the North African desert part of the water ration had to be used for shaving. Haircuts were severe anyway so going without for a week or two wouldn't be seen as a problem, but wouldn't exactly be "long". I don't like the helmets though; they're all the same colour, not matt, and most would have been a khaki/earth shade. Some would have been covered in khaki hessian (a few in the sequence are).

What many people don't realise is that during and after Operation Dynamo the Army was still shipping troops and tanks to France further south as the campaign was expected to continue.

"webers"?

Have we sent in a bunch of carburettors?

I don't think RMweb has reached the OED as yet but judging by the comments in the status updates there's a bit of twin choking and throttling going on.

P