The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Things that make you :)

Andy Y

Rabbit's fine as long as you have other foods with it, veggies mainly. According to QI, nothing but rabbit leaves you dead of mineral and vitamin leaching :O

Now, that is news, Ian.

In the inter and post-war1940's, my Mum filled me up with Rabbit pie and Buckshot. (I can't remember any veg, other than Carrots."They helps you see in the dark", she used to say)

Apart from being advised / warned to pick out and avoid swallowing the pellets, I reckon I've survived pretty well  since those 'Dark days' (Free school milk and school dinners came into play at a later date) 

Edited by Ceptic

• RMweb Premium

Now, that is news, Ian.

In the inter and post-war1940's, my Mum filled me up with Rabbit pie and Buckshot. (I can't remember any veg, other than Carrots."They helps you see in the dark", she used to say)

Apart from being advised / warned to pick out and avoid swallowing the pellets, I reckon I've survived pretty well  since those 'Dark days' (Free school milk and school dinners came into play at a later date) 

Stephen Fry did have a bit of a time getting the point across in that particular QI episode that it had to be only rabbit, and nothing else at all. Any other food of any kind in addition to rabbit reduces the problem. IIRC it was found out when gold miners in the US West in the 19th Century thought they were eating enough with just the rabbit but started to die off due to the vits and mins being used up from their bodies to process the rabbit.

Edited by Ian J.
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Now, that is news, Ian.

My great uncle “Ab” used to supply our family with “locally sourced rabbit” when he was caretaker of Dinting Railway Centre - around the early eighties. It was (almost) our only source of meat because of the efforts of the politicians at the time...

Anyway, I never did see any Rabbits around Dinting!

So I used to take “rabbit butties” to collage, in the early eighties, where at lunch I would regularly spit out the lead onto the table to the inevitable questions of “what are those”..........

My great uncle “Ab” was a fireman at Newton Heath and once he got a “Form 1”, for depositing the guard on the Platform at Stalybidge, when he set off with a local to Manchester Victoria.

The signalman at Ashton stopped the train until the guard could catch up.

The guard later said that he had set off “violently” and that is why he ended up on the platform and thus delaying the train. My great uncle just cited the regulation where the guard must always secure the guards doors (to prevent them swinging closed due too accelertion) before the train is allowed to set off.

Case dismissed.

He's still going my great uncle “Ab”.

Kev.

• Like 3

..anyway a "Lightning", (to me), is an RAF English Electric interceptor / fighter that - whilst not actually faster than lightning - was certainly faster than thunder!

Kev.

(possibly even faster than that mouse I tried to catch once!)

.......and was certainly capable of making its own "thunder" , and breaking windows with Sonic booms. Standing it on its "backside" and heading for Dark Blue Sky, was a product of thrust to weight ratio, and an astonishing rate of climb resulted. Due to the engine positioning it was also capable of an incredible "skid turn" circle radius as well

• Like 5

Just when I thought I hadn't heard of Monty Python in a while I spotted this....................though how one differentiates between Garlic Spam and 'Stinky French Garlic Spam' I don't know.................and before anyone says sniff it, I'd rather not!

post-312-0-49807300-1465914354_thumb.jpg

Edited by Adams442T
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

http://m.theargus.co.uk/news/14555246.Prime_Minster_caught_up_in_Southern_Railway_cancellations/?ref=fbshr

Made me smile

Just when I thought I hadn't heard of Monty Python in a while I spotted this....................though how one differentiates between Garlic Spam and 'Stinky French Garlic Spam' I don't know.................and before anyone says sniff it, I'd rather not!

attachicon.gifspam spam .jpg

Reminds me of 2 many Spams of this forum

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

It's been an ambition to either travel on or model the iconic named expresses. This week I was pleased to tick another off the list - The Pines Express. I think it may not be a 100% faithful to the original...

post-22698-0-26335800-1466190327_thumb.jpeg

I wonder if someone in their marketing department is a rail fan...

• Like 2