The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Things that make you :)

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium

Out of the mouths of etc..... Martyn had headlice in his early years at primary school, as do many kids. Mrs mole had trouble combing them out and on one occasion resorted to inappropriate language. Later he was heard to announce proudly that he had b***ers in his hair!

Pete

• RMweb Premium

Photo of the Rocket

If you study this photo carefully, you MAY be able to spot evidence of the Rocket.

That's if you don't go blind!

post-8022-0-03959600-1435330210.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Streetlights in our  neighbourhood have been replaced recently. I guess the local conservation group has intervened in this street to have "heritage" lanterns  installed. No doubt they think they have maintained the look if the area, but I think they look ridiculous. I can't say whether the lanterns are new or refurbished, but they do look good, just a shame about the height.

18567016753_cbfe20bf6a_h.jpgHilly

Fields by David Harvey, on Flickr

Thanks

Dave

• RMweb Premium

Streetlights in our  neighbourhood have been replaced recently. I guess the local conservation group has intervened in this street to have "heritage" lanterns  installed. No doubt they think they have maintained the look if the area, but I think they look ridiculous. I can't say whether the lanterns are new or refurbished, but they do look good, just a shame about the height.

18567016753_cbfe20bf6a_h.jpgHilly

Fields by David Harvey, on Flickr

Thanks

Dave

Maybe they are tall to reduce vandalism? Takes a good eye & many goes to put a rock through them.

• RMweb Gold

I was half listening to a discusssion about street lighting recently, where it was stated that the latest generation of LED lighting heads have to be at a greater height to maintain proper overlap. One of the features of LED lighting is that it is more directional than other forms so perhaps it was harder to get a wide beam spread for a short lamp post.  Apparently lamp posts just a couple of years old have been replaced with ones a little taller when the new heads were fitted.

Dave

• RMweb Gold

Just had a phone call from a recruitment company. After I hung up, I decided to email them : 

Dear Sirs,

I have just had the misfortune to receive a phone call from one of your staff.

His first question - was it convenient to talk ? was answered "No''. However, he ploughed on, regardless.

His next question - was I looking for an opportunity ? Again, my answer was 'No', but that didn't dissuade him.

"I'll just send you two job specs..." At which point I repeated I was not interested and hung up.

As I am not looking to change my current position, please remove me from your database.

As I'm certainly not interested in a company who's staff refuse to listen to what a potential client is saying, please remove me from your database.

And in case you've not understood any of that, please remove me from your database.

Regards

Stu Hilton

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

For those of you following this saga….

I’ve just had an email back from the recruitment company :

It starts :

Dear Stu

First all I am very sorry that you have had a bad experience in your dealings with itecopeople.

As the Managing Director of the company it is vital to me that everybody has a positive experience when dealing with us and I do apologise that on this occasion you have not had that.

I can see from the system the member of staff who contacted you and I will sit down with him and go through this with him and ensure it is not repeated with any other customer.

It is very rare for a customer to have a bad experience when dealing with us and while this has been a negative experience for you, that you have taken the time to email me and alert me is worthwhile because I can rectify the situation using your feedback.

He goes on, and this is perhaps not the best suggestion, seeing as how I don’t want to be contacted by the company…

I am very happy to call and apologise in person if you would like.

However…

In the meantime I will remove your details from the system and do wish you all the best for the future.

Excellent result. Just what I wanted.  So all that’s left is to end politely

All the best.

XXX XXXXXX.

And then, and then, he shoots himself in the foot with a 12-bore by leaving the standard signature on the email…

Take a look at our current vacancies or our Featured Opportunity

Why not upload/update your details on our website ?

Really ???

(links removed)

• RMweb Premium

Just had a phone call from a recruitment company. After I hung up, I decided to email them : 

Dear Sirs,

I have just had the misfortune to receive a phone call from one of your staff.

His first question - was it convenient to talk ? was answered "No''. However, he ploughed on, regardless.

His next question - was I looking for an opportunity ? Again, my answer was 'No', but that didn't dissuade him.

"I'll just send you two job specs..." At which point I repeated I was not interested and hung up.

As I am not looking to change my current position, please remove me from your database.

As I'm certainly not interested in a company who's staff refuse to listen to what a potential client is saying, please remove me from your database.

And in case you've not understood any of that, please remove me from your database.

Regards

Stu Hilton

Agree totally, its the talking over you that is the worst thing possible. Yet some of these mobs have the hide for the SAME PERSON to keep ringing you, AFTER you've told them that you'll never deal with that company. Like its going to do anything, but make you more determined to NOT deal with them.

For those of you following this saga…

And then, and then, he shoots himself in the foot with a 12-bore by leaving the standard signature on the email…

Really ???

At least the signature is harmless. While the original call was annoying, you have the satisfaction of a polite apology.

The experience is not nearly as annoying as repeated calls from a debt collection agency who are sure that somehow you must be or know the person they are looking for - because you live where they lived years ago or now have their old phone number.