Lulworth Castle, 1930's to 2000's

PaulRhB

• RMweb Gold

I am enjoying the novelty of actually having a layout set up at home to play with for the first time in years. I've built bits but not had one that could stay up for weeks at a time for over 15 years.

Now the ambition had been reigned in to realistic sized layouts that don't require a large shed to set up I might actually get on and do the fine detailing ;)

. . . when I can resist the urge to run something ;)

66022 brings in the fuel tanks for the MOD while 048 waits to depart with the trip working to Creech and Norden.

post-6968-0-77066700-1432135194.jpg

• Like 9

I picked up a nice Q1 today, I don't know where hat will fit into my plans yet but you gave me ideas yesterday.

I also like the 66's especially with Sound, now there's a plan, ahhaha :nono:  :nono: :nono:  :nono:  

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I picked up a nice Q1 today, I don't know where hat will fit into my plans yet but you gave me ideas yesterday.

I also like the 66's especially with Sound, now there's a plan, ahhaha :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono:

The Q1 is a bit erratic in dcc which seems to be the tender connection so I'm going to hard wire it.

The only problem with sound 66's is you want all of them to be sound ;)

I've got another 66, two units, two 37's and a Mpv to chip . . . to start with ;)

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

A de-railed MPV would look good on the military branch!

I've modelled it but that's in the hall out of sight . . . . ;)

The MPV has been found and I'm trying to decide if I fit it with sound too.

I think the 159 and the 37 next so hopefully someone might be selling at least 37 chips at DEMU :)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I definitely prefer this era Paul, I need some of those modified vans too!   Its looking good.

Pretty simple remove the chassis first, I cut up a spare white van to do the two plain transits.

For the Crew cab I just cut out the door by cutting up the front and rear edges then snapping it off along the top edge as the moulded top is a natural weak point. Only the front cut needs to be neat as the rear one is hidden by the door and you can neaten up the top with a few strokes of a file.

Here's the original hacks

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=25806

Edited by PaulRhB

As in the Southern 0-6-0?

The Q1 is a bit erratic in dcc which seems to be the tender connection so I'm going to hard wire it.

The only problem with sound 66's is you want all of them to be sound ;)

I've got another 66, two units, two 37's and a Mpv to chip . . . to start with ;)

Yes the Ugly Duckling, and the drawbar can be troublesome so may need to hard wire mine as well later.

Sound is a pain, you do one 37 and then you NEED to do the rest, same with the 47's 56's 20's I could go, but you get the picture, ahhah

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Well two out of my four Highland 37's are done but I don't want to keep swapping bodyshells to the two EWS ones as weathering won't match and it inevitably wears the paint ;)

I have enough stock to do three eras and two alternate locations but only two of the five will go full dcc and sound. With switches added in the Fy I can run it as dc too with one loco in steam on scene.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Looks at home there Paul, i'm sure I read somewhere that FGW were announcing a summer timetable to Lulworth, is this not just a gauging trip?

Who knows lots of proposals for new routes as the franchises come up for renewal ;)

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

FGW running a special to Lulworth using a pacer overhauled at Eastleigh ;)

post-6968-0-31428100-1441625477.jpg

The clay train arrives from Tyneham Pit on the MOD line closest to the camera and waits in the loop as the Pacer departs.

post-6968-0-59081300-1441625597.jpg

As the loop is too short the clay train has to push out to the advance starter and drop back into the platform to run round, then runs round.

post-6968-0-44488000-1441625663.jpg

post-6968-0-36262200-1441625677.jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

A 37 arrives with a single wagon for the MOD that missed being attached to the clay train on the inbound journey due to the Enterprise train delayed at Eastleigh.

post-6968-0-51250400-1441625781.jpg

Once the clay has gone the MOD can run round in the loop as the loco has to lead up to the camp. Tyneham pit is close enough to propel the clay train in.

post-6968-0-52496400-1441625966.jpg

37 heads off to the camp with the RMP's car heading for the target range.

post-6968-0-23683600-1441626001.jpg

post-6968-0-24424000-1441626014.jpg

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 11

• RMweb Gold

The eagle eyed may have noticed the Signalbox lost its name board after the last show. This was supposed to trigger me into getting on with it. Well five months later I did!

I drilled holes and inserted two 3mm magnets, cut up and flattened a Pepsi can, (they are steel and take four months to flatten ;) ), and stuck the name board to it. This is the BR version and a simple black on white one will follow later for the modern image version. The spare board simply sticks to the back of the magnets inside.

post-6968-0-26548500-1441641222.jpg

post-6968-0-01787500-1441641234.jpg

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

And the modern name board option. I thought about doing the station nameboard too but decided to follow the Lymington example and have a heritage sign. Also note the lattice post signal by Borg rail has been planted and will be hopefully operating soon!

post-6968-0-03314100-1441710166.jpg

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 7