Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Cuts and Shuts

Edge

I don't see how. A slug contains electric traction motors that are powered from the generator on the loco it's coupled to. The 08 and 09 are mechanical transmission locos, and do not have generators for traction motors.

I see what ya did there, I think an 08/9 would make a handy little slug personally.

BR just removed the cab from one 08 then coupeled it to another 08 & called them class 13

5551528560_e32df7ee5a_z.jpg

4mm BR Class 13 Shunter Converted from 2x Hornby class 08 Shunter by Mozzer models, on Flickr

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

I don't see how. A slug contains electric traction motors that are powered from the generator on the loco it's coupled to. The 08 and 09 are mechanical transmission locos, and do not have generators for traction motors.

The 350hp shunter is actually a diesel electric, so theoretically could be arranged as a mother + slug.  However, the transmission is already set up to absorb the full engine power at low road speed and produce high tractive effort, so there wouldn't be any advantage in doing so.  In the Class 13, of course, both units retained their engine and generator.

The Class 37 transmission absorbs full power at about 14mph; below that speed there's excess engine power that could be used by a slug.

The 08-09 family are 0-6-0DE locos.

Stewart

A grand conversion and weathering you`ve done there Mozzer

Seconded. 

To answer Budgies question, my enormous ignorance on the internal workings of most diesel locomotives. What I was aim at was some form of 'Box-Locomotive', unmaned of course, you take the 08/9 chassis, wack in an electric motor, AC-DC... I could go for some AC-DC right now, weight it properly, then stick a box body on, in fact while you're at it, glue a panto on top as well. Then put it in a closed circuit marshalling yard with controls in the central office.

Well this discussion has been fascinating but must dash, I do hope to maintain correspondence with your good selves, though I warn you the benefits of friendship with me are dubious at best.      

• RMweb Gold

The 08-09 family are 0-6-0DE locos.

To answer Budgie's question, my enormous ignorance on the internal workings of most diesel locomotives.

Yes, OK, I will own up to my ignorance of the internal workings of diesel locos.

What I was aiming at was some form of 'Box-Locomotive', unmanned of course; you take the 08/9 chassis, whack in an electric motor, AC-DC... I could go for some AC-DC right now, weight it properly, then stick a box body on, in fact while you're at it, glue a panto on top as well. Then put it in a closed circuit marshalling yard with controls in the central office.

Sounds like a good idea to me.

Edited by Budgie

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Wasn't there also a single-cab Co-Co with a deltic lump amidships... looking a lot like a stretched 20??

A book that has inspired these.

A pair of single engined Deltics.

attachicon.gif008.JPG

attachicon.gif009.JPG

A Baby Detic with a 18 cyilnder engine

attachicon.gif011.JPG

A Baby Detic with a V8 engine

attachicon.gif010.JPG

A EE Co-Co with twin 9 cylinder Deltic engines

attachicon.gif013.JPG

A V12 engined A1A-A1A, this is mentioned in Brian Webb's text.

attachicon.gif014.JPG

Had Newton-le Willows been allowed to make the D400s in their own house style

attachicon.gifD700.png

Last of all, in Brian Webb's book is a very ugly looking twin Deltic engineed diesel hydraulic loco. Even the Vulcan Foundry could not let shuch a hiddious looking machine go to the WR so they used their standard cab for it.

attachicon.gif016.JPG

I did have a play with some surplus Lima 20 shells a few years back... the double-cabbed version, a cabless booster and a stretched EE single-cabbed Type 4. Might still have those knocking around the junk box...

In 1925, the Southern Railway needed a new shunting locomotive for Ashford Locomotive Works. Two locomotives were trailed, an ex-LB&SCR A1X and an ex-SE&CR P. While neither proved up to the task, the A1X was seen to be the better design in terms of expansion. So, in 1926 a larger 0-8-0T version of the A1 was constructed, being given the classification A2 and was named 'Ashford Works' (the name was removed in 1951). This locomotive served the works from 1926 until closure in 1962. On closure, BR considered transferring the locomotive to another area, but as it was the only locomotive in it's class and steam was already nearing the end of it's life, the locomotive was cut up at Eastleigh in 1963.

post-14921-0-68180200-1392432872.png

• Like 5

In 1925, the Southern Railway needed a new shunting locomotive for Ashford Locomotive Works. Two locomotives were trailed, an ex-LB&SCR A1X and an ex-SE&CR P. While neither proved up to the task, the A1X was seen to be the better design in terms of expansion. So, in 1926 a larger 0-8-0T version of the A1 was constructed, being given the classification A2 and was named 'Ashford Works' (the name was removed in 1951). This locomotive served the works from 1926 until closure in 1962. On closure, BR considered transferring the locomotive to another area, but as it was the only locomotive in it's class and steam was already nearing the end of it's life, the locomotive was cut up at Eastleigh in 1963.

attachicon.gif'Ashford Works'.png

That's just legendary!

A couple of older ones from me that have appeared elsewhere on here before:

A Princess Royal with double chimney and smoke deflectors

post-14921-0-57591700-1392510061_thumb.png

Duchess of Hamilton and coach #5987. The coach is the item that has been cut and shut, and is correct to #5987 how she is now, including window positions, doors etc.

post-14921-0-14578300-1392510296_thumb.png

As the Peppercorn A1s were originally going to be streamlined, I put a picture of 60163 in streamlined form together. This is actually a major cut and shut, and not just an A4 body on a Peppercorn chassis

post-14921-0-02101000-1392510590_thumb.png

And how the Leader was originally meant to look. This one took a while, as it was like building the whole picture from scratch

post-14921-0-83499300-1392510864_thumb.png

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

If the 9F's were retained until the end of their working lives perhaps the following could have occurred. For such a small number of steam locomotives the retention and maintenance of water columns would be uneconomic so therefore to increase water capacity two bogie tenders would be provided based on the frames of the Diesel brake tenders but fitted with a water tank, the tenders would be one each fore and aft. The tenders would also have a driving cab at the outer ends to eliminate signal sighting problems. The locomotives themselves would be converted to oil burning, the fuel oil to be carried in a tank in the space between the frames and the boiler (belly tank?), to be enclosed in a casing similar to the spam cans. With the oil fuel the controls for which can be fitted on the footplate or in the cab or both with the possibility of one man operation.