25 minutes ago, Downendian said:

Hmm I’ve converted it to mp4 so should work? I can see it on my iPad ok. 
2nd version uploaded 
Neil

Works on my Firefox now as well.

Great video, many thanks!

John.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The anhydrous ammonia rake is still being worked on, the tanks taking a lot of work with 5-6 coats of white going on each. Filler and adhesive blemishes the main cause of this slow progress, but it’s getting there. The tanks will then be gloss varnished then decals, then I can put together the complete wagons.

in the meantime between paint drying sessions,  put together two diag 1/583 Mackerel ballast wagons obtained from scale model innovations (on eBay) as a 3D print. It will add a bit of variety to my catfish/dogfish/trout rakes. The 3D print is not the golden bullet it may first seem, a lot of time was spent removing the feeds from the model, and despite great care still managed to dislodge a footstep and two handrail supports on the end platforms. The brake shoes disintegrated on removing from the feed sprue, so I used some Parkside spares I had. The hopper and brake handwheels will probably be replaced with 51L (where’s my dishing jig got to!) brass equivalents (as on the catfish fleet), but overall a lovely little model of a prototype not ever likely to be seen RTR or kit form. They also produce Gannets and Herrings (the BR design not ex-GWR), so maybe these will be added at some point to my fleet. The Mackerel are not currently listed on eBay, but I guess direct contact with Scale Model Innovations via their Facebook page is the way to go. The .stl file is however freely downloadable if you have the luxury of your own 3D printer. I feel myself being drawn towards this area of modelling in the future.

transfers applied one side this morning as were instanters , although still to add overhead wire flashes, 17.5T markings and data panel, then to weather and add ballast load to give more weight. The model is not as free running as I’d like, despite taking great care fitting waisted bearings- the width between the axle boxes could be 0.5mm larger may help. Only running will tell if this needs more attention. Photo shows the two Mackerel in question plus one of my Cambrian catfish for comparison.

IMG_2439.jpeg.31a008f92d8ea902660df542eb074496.jpeg

Neil

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

Got to be worth getting a printer, are these printed from the Iron Mink designs?

I printed 34 of his mineral wagons for about £18 of resin.

• RMweb Gold

Indeed Martin, Iron Mink on Thingiverse - amazing designs. I wouldn’t know where to start buying a 3D printer, for a start my laptop is past its sell by date and that will need replacing first!

Neil 

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Downendian said:

Indeed Martin, Iron Mink on Thingiverse - amazing designs. I wouldn’t know where to start buying a 3D printer, for a start my laptop is past its sell by date and that will need replacing first!

Neil 

chitubox on its own take up around 3GB and slows a PC right down.

I have a Elegoo Mars 2 Pro, any of the similar range new ones should be fine.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Downendian said:

The anhydrous ammonia rake is still being worked on, the tanks taking a lot of work with 5-6 coats of white going on each. Filler and adhesive blemishes the main cause of this slow progress, but it’s getting there. The tanks will then be gloss varnished then decals, then I can put together the complete wagons.

in the meantime between paint drying sessions,  put together two diag 1/583 Mackerel ballast wagons obtained from scale model innovations (on eBay) as a 3D print. It will add a bit of variety to my catfish/dogfish/trout rakes. The 3D print is not the golden bullet it may first seem, a lot of time was spent removing the feeds from the model, and despite great care still managed to dislodge a footstep and two handrail supports on the end platforms. The brake shoes disintegrated on removing from the feed sprue, so I used some Parkside spares I had. The hopper and brake handwheels will probably be replaced with 51L (where’s my dishing jig got to!) brass equivalents (as on the catfish fleet), but overall a lovely little model of a prototype not ever likely to be seen RTR or kit form. They also produce Gannets and Herrings (the BR design not ex-GWR), so maybe these will be added at some point to my fleet. The Mackerel are not currently listed on eBay, but I guess direct contact with Scale Model Innovations via their Facebook page is the way to go. The .stl file is however freely downloadable if you have the luxury of your own 3D printer. I feel myself being drawn towards this area of modelling in the future.

transfers applied one side this morning as were instanters , although still to add overhead wire flashes, 17.5T markings and data panel, then to weather and add ballast load to give more weight. The model is not as free running as I’d like, despite taking great care fitting waisted bearings- the width between the axle boxes could be 0.5mm larger may help. Only running will tell if this needs more attention. Photo shows the two Mackerel in question plus one of my Cambrian catfish for comparison.

IMG_2439.jpeg.31a008f92d8ea902660df542eb074496.jpeg

Neil

More cracking wagons Neil! Can’t wait to see a completed ammonia tank too..

Too many snags to fix here following Winchcombe but can start on them now family are back in Estonia and this weeks fishing is done… 😉

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Finishing touches on the pair of Mackerel ballast hoppers today. Final transfer application, weathering and ballast loads. Annoyingly one tiny 17T decal went adrift during the weathering, never to be seen again. I only had four on the transfer sheet so no spares grrr. Test running next phase, ballast still drying so a bit white in places. IMG_2456.jpeg.b60aaac71dd0f52db657a4f6aadf02b3.jpeg

Neil 

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

Progress report on the anhydrous ammonia tanks.

All have now been painted, ivory white tanks, gunship green chassis and black bogies. Five have now been assembled with five to go. Tanks are attached to the chassis with super steel epoxy - brilliant stuff, my araldite days are over.

Next to the long process of applying transfers and the tank supports. The yellow wrap around band I’m sure will be fiddly so patience needed I’m sure. Fisons tanks had a yellow warning band, later when ICI branded this was orange.

IMG_2465.jpeg.3ee9876b50296f575c440390f8af3e70.jpeg

Neil 

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
56 minutes ago, Downendian said:

Progress report on the anhydrous ammonia tanks.

All have now been painted, ivory white tanks, gunship green chassis and black bogies. Five have now been assembled with five to go. Tanks are attached to the chassis with super steel epoxy - brilliant stuff, my araldite days are over.

Next to the long process of applying transfers and the tank supports. The yellow wrap around band I’m sure will be fiddly so patience needed I’m sure. Fisons tanks had a yellow warning band, later when ICI branded this was orange.

IMG_2465.jpeg.3ee9876b50296f575c440390f8af3e70.jpeg

Neil 

These are going to look jolly impressive Neil! Did you see the Facebook post I linked you to?

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Phil Bullock said:

These are going to look jolly impressive Neil! Did you see the Facebook post I linked you to?

Thanks Phil, no I didn’t see any Facebook tag 

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

More progress on the anhydrous ammonia rake.

All ten tanks have had their yellow warning stripes added - quite a fiddly job using fantasy workshop decals (golden yellow), cut carefully with a scalpel to 4mm strips. Still some tidying up to do on them, but fixed with decalfix overnight- they are very flimsy when first applied and handling often resulted in decal moving or sticking to hands. Orange strips were supplied with the kits - correct shade for later BR periods but these early Fisons Fertilizers branded tanks had yellow stripes. I think I’ve got the shade just about right. Unfortunately I committed the sin of not referring closely enough to prototype photos when positioning the yellow bands, 3 had to be redone. Only a few mm out, but when the Anhydrous Ammonia and Fisons Fertlizers decals are applied would stick out like a sore thumb.

I’ve still to finish the artwork for the required transfers-and my retirement has meant that my mastery of Microsoft word and PowerPoint has nose dived, a learning curve restablished. Still to apply the brake/discharge wheels, screw couplings to a few, paint the under frames and buffer beams black, a few tarpaulin ties (to be painted yellow) have become detached and need attention, but project getting there. Will definitely need carefully varnishing to protect the decals.

My sole SLW class 25/3 has just arrived, and I’m pondering a new identity. My ICRS shed 78 book has details of all 25s with snow plough brackets fitted, so 25 324 will inevitably change its identity- I don’t like to keep what everyone else has got but the snow ploughs look rather nice. Two Accurascale class 37s incoming too in the next week or so again will change their identities to carry TOPS numbers.

IMG_2509.jpeg.4761baa8453eaadbaec4664716279d74.jpeg

Neil

• Like 5
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Downendian said:

More progress on the anhydrous ammonia rake.

All ten tanks have had their yellow warning stripes added - quite a fiddly job using fantasy workshop decals (golden yellow), cut carefully with a scalpel to 4mm strips. Still some tidying up to do on them, but fixed with decalfix overnight- they are very flimsy when first applied and handling often resulted in decal moving or sticking to hands. Orange strips were supplied with the kits - correct shade for later BR periods but these early Fisons Fertilizers branded tanks had yellow stripes. I think I’ve got the shade just about right. Unfortunately I committed the sin of not referring closely enough to prototype photos when positioning the yellow bands, 3 had to be redone. Only a few mm out, but when the Anhydrous Ammonia and Fisons Fertlizers decals are applied would stick out like a sore thumb.

I’ve still to finish the artwork for the required transfers-and my retirement has meant that my mastery of Microsoft word and PowerPoint has nose dived, a learning curve restablished. Still to apply the brake/discharge wheels, screw couplings to a few, paint the under frames and buffer beams black, a few tarpaulin ties (to be painted yellow) have become detached and need attention, but project getting there. Will definitely need carefully varnishing to protect the decals.

My sole SLW class 25/3 has just arrived, and I’m pondering a new identity. My ICRS shed 78 book has details of all 25s with snow plough brackets fitted, so 25 324 will inevitably change its identity- I don’t like to keep what everyone else has got but the snow ploughs look rather nice. Two Accurascale class 37s incoming too in the next week or so again will change their identities to carry TOPS numbers.

IMG_2509.jpeg.4761baa8453eaadbaec4664716279d74.jpeg

Neil

Hmmm, interestingly a member of the Accurascale staff has liked this, get your poker cards out!!

Mike.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Lightning can’t strike twice Mike surely! I guess it’s because I mentioned their 37s which have just now been dispatched. Not that I wouldn’t like to see Accurascale do some chemical tankers - they are few and far between both RTR and kit form, Avonmouth received a lot of this traffic.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
40 minutes ago, young37215 said:

I am interested in the signalmans platform to the bottom left of the picture, can you please advise who makes this? 

It’s a scale model scenery item

https://www.scalemodelscenery.co.uk/lx148-oo-relay-boxtrackside-platforms-mixed-pack-oo4mm176-1579-p.asp

Neil

• Thanks 1