Airbrush advice..

Katier

Hi All,

I know this has been asked before, but links die, stock changes etc. so unfortunately one of those questions that needs asking from time to time.

I'm looking to buy an airbrush just for general model painting, nothing more than you'd do with spray cans. Obviously would like something that's likely to be reliable and last but fairly basic model would be fine.

Help please :)

Thanks

Kat

• RMweb Premium

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AIRBRUSH-DUAL-ACTION-KIT-PROFESSIONAL-TOOL-0-35mm-Uk-Stock-Absolute-Airbrush-NEW-/290752606023?pt=UK_Crafts_DrawingSupplies_EH&hash=item43b234af47

Nothing more than a satisfied customer. I bough a full kit of compressor and two airbrushes from them last year for less than £100.

Cheers,

Mick

Kat,

I would suggest the Neo for Iwata. Built for Iwata but a very fine airbrush, and it has Iwata's 5 year warranty.

At just under £50 at most stores its a bit of a steal!

http://www.antenocitisworkshop.com/wargaming-materials-tools/airbrushes/iwata-airbrushes/iwata-neo.html

http://www.armorama.co.uk/modules.php?op=modload&name=Reviews&file=index&req=showcontent&id=6779

Dave

I've yet to use either of my recent airbrush purchases, but I bought a trigger grip type from Airbrush World via Ebay and a Badger 200NH, again, no connection.

This site gave me some really useful info allowing me to decide which airbrush to buy & most importantly, why.

https://sites.google...nsairbrushtips/

It's quite a lot of reading, but written in an easygoing & down to earth style. Anyone who uses an airbrush will get something of value from it.

I've yet to use either of my recent airbrush purchases, but I bought a trigger grip type from Airbrush World via Ebay and a Badger 200NH, again, no connection.

This site gave me some really useful info allowing me to decide which airbrush to buy & most importantly, why.

https://sites.google...nsairbrushtips/

It's quite a lot of reading, but written in an easygoing & down to earth style. Anyone who uses an airbrush will get something of value from it.

Reading that the Neo seems to be a good airbrush but the review does imply not ideal for a noobie, thoughts?

Ian Rathbone raved about it in MRJ 213 (March 2012). I also believe that George dent wrote an article about it and used it at his airbrush courses for airbrush.com.

I knop that neither of those two are beginners, but I believe that this was designed for the beginner with the ability to spray better at lower air pressure. I need a new airbrush and when its time I will get this.

I think its another case of, buy the best you can to start with as the cheaper items (not that I consider those above a cheap option) may put you off if results are not good, believeing that you can't airbrush.

Hi Kat

I have a Badger Anthem 155. An excellent A B. You did mention about a budget above so this may be a little more than you wish to spend. If you search Ebay you will definitely find them for between £50 and £70 delivered.

Can I ask what sort of air supply you intend using. I need a new compressor and currently trying to decide whether I need the type with a cylinder or if the stand alone ones still give a smooth air supply. I have repeated the link that Ben added above so you know the ones I mean.

I'll definitely be getting a compressor as reading up on things it's the only practical option. Based on Blacque Jacque's link I won't bother getting one with a tank, save my money for the slightly more important bit.. the brush :)

For what I want to do, am I right in saying either feed type will do?

You've all 'chosen' internal mix brushes, any reason not to choose an external mix for what I want to do?

I'll definitely be getting a compressor as reading up on things it's the only practical option. Based on Blacque Jacque's link I won't bother getting one with a tank, save my money for the slightly more important bit.. the brush :)

You've all 'chosen' internal mix brushes, any reason not to choose an external mix for what I want to do?

Hi Katier, regarding the bit you have written about not getting one with a tank, have a rethink, having a compressor with a tank is far better than having one without, if you are spraying larger areas, the reservoir tank will help keeping up with the air demand you require, having a compressor without a tank a then spraying large areas can cause pulsing when you are spraying, and this will lead to you being frustrated with system you are using.

I too have bought items and a compressor from the link Mick "newbryford" has posted, and the lady who runs the company is excellent, contact her and give her a ring, She really knows what she is selling and will give you some great information.

Internal mix will invariably give better atomisation of the paint & finer control. External mix brushes tend to be coarser for both attributes.

Regarding the tank issue, whilst having a tank is the best option, having 2 regulators in line & stepping down the pressure in stages will achieve almost the same result, the regulators will buffer most of the pulsing.

Internal mix airbrushes mix the air and paint together, atomizing it, producing a much finer spray and better finish. It also allows greater control for the user in the effects which can be achieved. An external mix 'brush effectively "blows" paint onto a model, the result is a much thicker finish which will obscure detail and gives virtually no control to the user. External mix airbrushes would be better described as mini spray-guns really.

Carl

Hi Again

I have never used an external mix brush so I can't give you an opinion as to whether they are a good option.

All I know is when I first looked to buy an A B, I was advised to get the best I could afford. I have to say the brush I bought might be regarded by some as not suitable for someone new to this as It is a good quality double action brush. I personally think that in this instance the best place to start is with the best hardware you can get. As soon as you get the hang of a lower spec brush (which won't take long) and see what great results you can get you will probably start looking to upgrade to a better one anyway. I read up on this subject quite a lot before finally getting round to parting with my cash and the two main bits of advice that seem to be given were:- get plenty of practice on anything but your models and secondly the most important one, keep your airbrush clean, the second I follow religiously.

All the best and keep us up to date on what you choose to do and how you get on.

Martin

I use a neo for iwata and it is very good however for me the best bit is the ability to strip off the cups (cleaning is much easier) and change the size for each job. Prior to this I always used cheap far eastern import brushes off of ebay for about a tenner a piece. Not as refined in the bottom of the cup as the iwata neo but at a fifth the cost I found that it sprayed every bit as good once the needles were primed (having said that I had to prime the iwata needle too to get the best from it). It is important to get a good compressor with a header tank to stop pulsing though, once you have that I think for your needs something like a BD180 or such would do you just fine. Making sure the airbrush is well cleaned and your paint properly strained before use are just as important as the kit.

Cav

I strongly recommend the use of a spray booth if you will be using enamels and therefore solvent based thinners. The fumes you will encounter are not good for you! Unless you intend spraying outdoors of course..........

I usually use spray cans on my balcony :)

I don't have that book but do have Ian Rathbones.

I've taken everything you guys have said on board, also read the links provided and done a bit of thinking.. and decided ultimately if I get into it properly I'll probably ultimately invest in a very good one, but also going for a second hand brand-name is not a bad idea. While it MIGHT be damaged.. the likely damaged parts are easily replaceable ( basically the paint path ) and should still end up with a airbrush that is cheaper than new.

To that end I've won a Vega 600 ( which was advertised as 'excellent' which to me means it ought to work out of the box) which is obviously a good brand and I figured at least to get started a single action makes sense. I've also got my eye on a iwata so we'll see how that goes (it's currently sitting at a very cheap price).

A friend has told me they have a spare badger compressor so that side should eb covered :)

Thanks everyone, I'll let you know how I get on.

Hi Kat

Good luck and hopefully enjoyment with your future airbrushing projects. I look forward to seeing future posts and pics to keep us up to date.

All the best

Martin

P.S. Hopefully everyone has taken the hint not to bid on the currently listed iwata brush. :good:

• RMweb Gold

IF all you want is a spraycan substitute then you can't go wrong with these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AIR-BRUSH-AIRBRUSH-KIT-IDEAL-GREAT-FOR-AIRFIX-GAMES-WORKSHOP-WARHAMMER-MODELS-/120984509602?pt=UK_ToysGames_ModelKits_ModelKits_JN&hash=item1c2b3d1ca2

I have one and two double acting internal mix brushes - guess which one I only use? But then I have only used one for applying base colour and varnish etc.

When I start to weather etc I guess I'll have to get to grips with one of the others. The BIG advantage of the single acting type is it's dead easy to clean, only two parts - pop the O ring off the needle and drop the needle and nozzle in thinners, job done :)

Archived