The Captain's Travels

Captain Kernow

• RMweb Gold

I would say...the good Capt'n has been to Moorswater... :O

Yes, someone knows the district very well, I'd say!

I did indeed make a work-related visit to the Liskeard area a few days ago - here are some images:

Moorswater:

post-57-0-33889300-1346924453.jpg

post-57-0-41067100-1346924462.jpg

post-57-0-57615200-1346924478.jpg

post-57-0-86943500-1346924484.jpg

post-57-0-68373900-1346924491.jpg

Coombe:

post-57-0-55429400-1346924616.jpg

post-57-0-74235600-1346924602.jpg

Liskeard Yard GF (where the connecting line from the main line joins the branch):

post-57-0-63014600-1346924512.jpg

Liskeard Yard:

post-57-0-94755700-1346924558.jpg

An Up train:

post-57-0-92263000-1346924579.jpg

• RMweb Gold

In the first two photos, there are marks in the concrete that look like someone/something has dragged a derailed wagon back on to the line nearer the trees.

Nick

Yes, that was noted during the visit, but it happened quite some time ago!

• RMweb Gold

In the first two photos, there are marks in the concrete that look like someone/something has dragged a derailed wagon back on to the line nearer the trees.

Nick

There's a picture in (I think) one of John Vaughan's books of a CDA being manhandled back onto the rails somewhere in the vicinity - I wonder if that was the event in question? I'll have a flick through later & see if it matches...

Great pics CK as usual :)

That furry little critter making his away across the four foot... could it be a distant cousin of the beast of Bodmin, or the lesser spotted parsnip thief of old Liskeard town...?

Anyway I'm glad you posted those as they've reminded me to set a date for a day out snapping all and sundry in good old Kernow, been meaning to sort it for weeks now!

• RMweb Gold

There's a picture in (I think) one of John Vaughan's books of a CDA being manhandled back onto the rails somewhere in the vicinity...

In JV's Illustrated history of West Country china clay trains - a picture of a CDA being re-railed by manual exertion of about 13 people! Dating from October 1991, it says half-a-dozen wagons were involved; however, the pictured wagon is on sleepered track, towards the level crossing at the entrance to the site, not the end near the buffers where the "grooves" seem to be - so that's not the incident that caused them!

• RMweb Gold

Interesting, thanks for looking that up, Rich. I'm thinking that it must nonetheless have been a CDA or two that came off there, as the cement wagons don't quite go up that far these days. They are run round on the NR loop outside of the cement terminal and propelled in for unloading, and the chap showing us around pointed out exactly the location that they go as far as, which is just outside the covered area.

• RMweb Gold

Interesting, thanks for looking that up, Rich. I'm thinking that it must nonetheless have been a CDA or two that came off there, as the cement wagons don't quite go up that far these days. They are run round on the NR loop outside of the cement terminal and propelled in for unloading, and the chap showing us around pointed out exactly the location that they go as far as, which is just outside the covered area.

Strange that the covered area isn't used - I guess there's not much room alongside the wagons at track level inside the shed. There seems to be very little in the way of apparatus for unloading. Is the tank on the right of the 5th picture with the hose leading out something to do with the cement operation?

I've just noticed that in the telephoto photo looking towards Moorswater, from Coombe, I seem to have captured a small, furry thing scurrying across the track!

That just a lizard from further down the line in winter uniform, please don't let the D I T D lads know or they will try to incorporate it in a pie!

Great pics CK as usual :)

That furry little critter making his away across the four foot... could it be a distant cousin of the beast of Bodmin, or the lesser spotted parsnip thief of old Liskeard town...?

Anyway I'm glad you posted those as they've reminded me to set a date for a day out snapping all and sundry in good old Kernow, been meaning to sort it for weeks now!

In Essex that's a lion :)

• RMweb Gold

Strange that the covered area isn't used - I guess there's not much room alongside the wagons at track level inside the shed. There seems to be very little in the way of apparatus for unloading. Is the tank on the right of the 5th picture with the hose leading out something to do with the cement operation?

Apologies, Rich, I didn't explain that very well - they do use the covered area, but don't propel the cement wagons beyond the top end of the covered area - hope that makes a bit more sense!

Mickey - I haven't seen any Cargowaggons in the consist for some time, unfortunately...

• RMweb Gold

Mickey - I haven't seen any Cargowaggons in the consist for some time, unfortunately...

I seem to remember that the Cargowaggons stopped being used around the time Freightliner took over the traffic from EWS - whether that was a direct result, or coincidence, I don't know...

I seem to remember that the Cargowaggons stopped being used around the time Freightliner took over the traffic from EWS - whether that was a direct result, or coincidence, I don't know...

Hi

I work for a Builders Merchant & we used to buy our cement from Lafarge (Blue Circle)

Whilst offloading I asked the driver if the bagged cement still came down by rail.

He said that railborne deliveries of bagged product had stopped when the supply had switched from Hope to Westbury due to there being no suitable loading facility at Westbury.....I think it was to do with forklift access to the rail wagons.....He did say but I've forgotten....All the bagged product was trunked down overnight for local onward delivery from Liskeard...

I can only assume that since the demise of Westbury the bags are still trunked down from Hope ???? for onward delivery rather than going back to rail haulage as before.

We haven't bought Blue Circle cement for over 4 years now so I've no means of asking

Cheers Bill

I can only assume that since the demise of Westbury the bags are still trunked down from Hope ???? for onward delivery rather than going back to rail haulage as before.

I did hear that the bagged cement switched to road haulage from South Wales.

• 2 months later...

Archived