The Dartliner

Guest 34008Padstow

Guest 34008Padstow

I found a rather intresting video of a DMU railtour to the DVR. Once again some superb shots. I was never aware that a DMU traversed the line as theres no mention in the books i have. Hope its of use or intrest

Even more memories from what passed for my youth!

That is indeed Barry Cogar and the gent with him is the fabled P W inspector Ashley Burgess in memory of whom the ex Exeter gas works Peckett was renamed. The driver on 1420 is Brian Cox who unfortunately passed away recently.

I am not sure if this is the same D M U excursion as the one in this anecdote but you will notice that behind the remains of the other platform there are several trees, these are all that remained of a cider apple orchard and had gone "feral" after years of neglect. The crew of the excursion stayed with their train whilst the steam hauled jolly took place and discovered that the trees were in full fruit so harvested a considerable quantity to take home. They also sampled several of the windfalls during the collection process unaware that such fruits can cause an effect known to seasoned scrumpy drinkers as "the scours".

Aparrantently the time keeping of the return train was somewhat affected by several natural needs stops for the driver and second man.

Archived