Radiator Shelf?

• RMweb Gold

I am thinking of using a 4ft by 6 inches space this would be in 2mm or N, not too small for the scale but interested to see if others have made use of a radiator shelf type of situation? and what they came up with.

It compares roughly with 8x1 in 4mm scale I suppose but maybe a 6x1 OO would fit on a longer radiator?

- would there be enough heat from a radiator to cause problems with track/running etc. (though thinking of storing out of site when not in use so could just be brought out when the radiator is off?)

Thoughts welcome.

I once doodled some ideas for a layout on a mantle-piece (in 009), although I never built it. However I do have an 009 layout which is 2'6" by 6" plus a simple fiddle yard. As you say in N it should be suitable for a shunting layout or simple branch terminus. I would keep the layout simple though, as despite the small scale I think the lack of depth will be apparent if you try to squeeze too much accross it.

Is the shelf wooden or metal? A wooden one would insulate better. Assuming the baseboard has a little depth to it (as is usual) I think there would be sufficient insulation from the radiator below, and the shelf itself will direct the rising hot air away from the layout, so I don't suppose you would have any problems relating to heat.

I would certainly avoid keeping the layout on the radiator shelf whilst the rad is on...

Although the wood itself is an insultor,

I think the heat could end up warping the wood.....

In any case, it could be a costly mistake - so I wouldn't risk it....

Re depth - if you are making a removable shelf,

on top of the radiator shelf - you could always make it a tad deeper?

Perhaps an inch or so.....

Another suggestion is to incorporate different levels...

perhaps a lower foreground, and higher background...

Maybe even a slightly higher rear siding?

Sounds interesting anyway,

good luck with it, and keep us posted

Cheers

Marc

• RMweb Gold

Right well its not a specific 'bought' radiator shelf, its a 4x1 piece of ply which has been split into 2x 6inch wide pieces then braced together in to an L shape with 2x1 (pic later)

its not going to be a long term layout just a testpiece to get back into the N scale frame of mind, I hope to have something a bit bigger in the loft in due course.

My plans are for a SLT type of station with a seperate goods siding (possibly on a lower level)

-bit like http://unnycoombelala.blogspot.co.uk/p/llynfordd.html but with the freight side totally disconnected from the passenger line.

Is there space for a cassette/fiddle yard in addition?

possibly, but I'd rather keep it 'self contained' if I can.

Archived