The human side of the railway...

13 hours ago, SED Freightman said:

The sign at the entrance to Platform 8 indicates they are en route to Oostende, but I cannot make out the boat train departure time.

Looking in the summer 1962 timetable, there were boat trains connecting with the ferry from Dover Marine to Oostende leaving Victoria at 8am, 10am, 2.30pm (certain dates), 3pm and 11pm. Assuming the photo was taken on a weekday, the hour on the departure board time appears to be a single figure, therefore I would guess the queue is for the 3pm departure which connected with the 5pm sailing from Dover Marine, arriving Oostende 8.20pm (local time) and with a connection to Brussels arriving at 10.04pm (local time).  Cost of a return ticket valid for 2 months London to Brussels  was £7.15.0 or £10.12.0 first class !

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

High voltage cable laying 1952 style - adjacent the Norwood - East Croydon lines - the 33kv 3-core oil-filled cable (whitewashed) is being installed between Selhurst Substation (the square brick building in the background) and Croydon Grid.

Think the loco is a "Q", C2X 

Classic example of the "hats hierarchy" - interesting to see the amount of former battledresses & demob overcoats present - there is even a "Tankie" leather jerkin in there somewhere.

doc24394120240713020022_001.jpg

Edited by Southernman46
  • Like 18

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Southernman46 said:

Think the loco is a "Q",

It looks like a C2X.

The ex-army leather jerkins were widely used in WW2 apart from tank crews, mainly by men who had to work (rather than fight) in poor weather.  Sold off post-war in large quantities; my grandad had one for gardening' which I later acquired and wore for outside work.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

On 12/07/2024 at 01:09, Rugd1022 said:

Kings X, a certain Mr.Gresley blags a cab ride...

A4LNERSNG.jpg.586b9d0668822059677efd5a8ea55d7d.jpg

Hello All, I hope he is carrying an appropriate Footplate Pass ! Tumut.

• Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
23 hours ago, petethemole said:

It looks like a C2X.

The ex-army leather jerkins were widely used in WW2 apart from tank crews, mainly by men who had to work (rather than fight) in poor weather.  Sold off post-war in large quantities; my grandad had one for gardening' which I later acquired and wore for outside work.

Definitely a C2X - smokebox door, dome, ejector pipe, injector feed pipe, and smokebox saddle, are immediate giveaways

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 11/07/2024 at 16:09, Rugd1022 said:

Kings X, a certain Mr.Gresley blags a cab ride...

A4LNERSNG.jpg.586b9d0668822059677efd5a8ea55d7d.jpg

Bit a composite from the Titfield Thunderbolt and the Dambusters but why do I imagine a conversation that went like something like this:

SNG: Excuse me my dear fellow could I possibly have my seat?

Driver: Your seat? What makes you think it’s your seat? 
SNG: Well the fact that I designed the locomotive might help? Hmm? 😀

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

In theory, the driver was responsible and had overall charge of his engine and could refuse footplate access to anyone. Whether he would wish to exert that right in these circumstances is debatable.

• Like 2
  • Agree 5

12 hours ago, LMS2968 said:

In theory, the driver was responsible and had overall charge of his engine and could refuse footplate access to anyone. Whether he would wish to exert that right in these circumstances is debatable.

As a young (age 21) newly qualified driver on the Middleton Railway I was the rostered driver for the visit of HMRI (Major Peter Olver) and HSE (Alan Cooksey). I had expected to be swapped out, but management, bless them, determined that if they thought I was good enough to drive, I was good enough to drive for anyone. The day went well, but I did get a slight admonishment from the good Major for not checking his credentials, with the added comment that if I didn't want him on the footplate he had no right to be there.

David

• Like 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, david.hill64 said:

As a young (age 21) newly qualified driver on the Middleton Railway I was the rostered driver for the visit of HMRI (Major Peter Olver) and HSE (Alan Cooksey). I had expected to be swapped out, but management, bless them, determined that if they thought I was good enough to drive, I was good enough to drive for anyone. The day went well, but I did get a slight admonishment from the good Major for not checking his credentials, with the added comment that if I didn't want him on the footplate he had no right to be there.

David

I had dealings with both Peter and Alan during the course of my career. Both true gentlemen - but not to be trifled with.

• Like 4
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

I once did a tour of level crossings on the Medway Valley line - with Major Kit Holden as a passenger in my MG Metro. He was a model front-seat passenger, offering observations at junctions, just as Deb and I always did for each other, and when I remarked upon this he said it was standard practice in the army. Easy company all round, offering observations on what might be acceptable at each location, and what might not. 

• Like 7
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

I had dealings with both Peter and Alan during the course of my career. Both true gentlemen - but not to be trifled with.

When we built the new station and installed the signalling on the demo line at Tyseley the chap who had been managing various parts of the work suggested to me that' maybe we should leave something for him to find?'.  I replied that even with everything constructed to the agreed drawings and an operating method statement that had both been approved by an HMRI Peter would still find something without us creating anything whatsoever.

And indeed he did as he recommended that we make a minor locking alteration (fortunately electrical so actually a control table alteration) to the locking out procedure for the lever frame.  So as it was 'recommended' I subsequently had to explain to our engineering managing chap that what meant was that it was mandatory .  So we did it and I duly confirmed in writing to the good Major.

Coincidentally a good friend,  a former BRB Signalling Officer, had a 'phone chat with me yesterday as he occasionally does and Alan Cooksey's name came up in the conversation.  He sees Alan every now and then and has been told by Alan that the Newbury model railway exhibition is definitely 'on' for later this year - Alan is apparently a member of the local model railway club.  On one occasion when I had to speak to him regarding freight trains over the Central wales Line - for which we had to obtain HMRI approval he gave the usual confirmation that we could go ahead but then added that ''if you're going to make a regular habit of it you'll have to aplly for a variation to the Order."

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

The two guards converse over something, as former DR 64415 awaits the road at Eerbeek, Veluwsche Steam Railway, the Netherlands. 

64415_Eerbeek_26052024

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

Mail pick up, Leighton Buzzard, sometime around 1960.

LB_mail_pickup_05

I'm pretty sure this is Leighton Buzzard*, on the DF next to Wing Road overbridge. I don't know what the occasion was, possibly the last pickup?

*Though called Leighton Buzzard, the station is in fact in Linslade,  as is the photo. In fact no part of the WCML has ever been in Leighton Buzzard, the "border" between the two being the River Ouzel.

Edited by rodent279
  • Like 16

Now there sits a happy man ..................................... 

Leicester Midland 1984 - presumably known to some on here.

PICT0183.JPG

Edited by Southernman46
  • Like 17

12 hours ago, Southernman46 said:

Now there sits a happy man ..................................... 

Leicester Midland 1984 - presumably known to some on here.

PICT0183.JPG

Probably a St.Pancras, Leicester, Toton or Tinsley man.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Rugd1022 said:

Probably a St.Pancras, Leicester, Toton or Tinsley man.

That looks like him again behind the Peak going through Taunton in the following picture 😆

• Funny 4

And people wonder why coaches now have windows that don't open central locking etc, etc. if I saw a prat like that in steam days I'd have given him a quick blast with the pep pipe, just damping the coal down sir.  😎

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1