The human side of the railway...

For some of that lot, I think the "foot" is the only thing that isn't "ex" the window

Some of them do look rather 'clear' compared to the coach they are supposed to be hanging out of, aint photoshop* good!

* other software is available.

• Like 1

Some of them do look rather 'clear' compared to the coach they are supposed to be hanging out of, aint photoshop* good!

* other software is available.

Straight from the scanned negative, no manipulation other than cropping and possibly colour adjustment.

• 2 weeks later...

I came across this photo whilst doing some J94 research, it certainly bought a smile to my face for the comic potential. Keithley and Worth Valley in the "don't mention BR days".

post-13564-0-49930000-1514901717.jpg

As Davef has just reminded me this is one from his fathers collection, apoloigies to him for not crediting it.

Edited by w124bob
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

I came across this photo whilst doing some J94 research, it certainly bought a smile to my face for the comic potential. Keithley and Worth Valley in the "don't mention BR days".

attachicon.gifpost-5613-0-31862900-1468156633_thumb.jpg

That's one of my (well actually dad's photos), I've always liked it for much the same reason.

It dates from September 1969

By the way the loco isn't an Austerity, it has a tank which does not fully cover the firebox and is an RSH design.

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 1

Cheers Gary.... I remember it left Euston mid to late afternoonish, a pal and I had just finished our shifts at Stonebridge Park and were on our way to Collectors Corner for one of our regular shufties, there was quite a crowd at the end of the platforms, with people moaning about each other getting in the way for photos.

• RMweb Gold

June 23rd 1994. 47843, working 1O90 the 1100 Glasgow to Brighton, caught fire whilst braking for the Reading stop. The fire service attended quickly as the train came to a stand next to the cattle pen sidings just west of Reading station and only about 200 yards from the Caversham Road fire station. There was a spare 47/8 at Reading and so once the fire was out, the Brighton driver (standing at the door of the rescue loco), who was booked to take the train forward, drove the spare loco onto the failed train. It was then dragged into the station where 47843 was detached and dumped in a siding. The train continued to Brighton about two hours late. This picture, which appeared in The Reading Chronicle, shows the firemen just preparing to leave whilst the railway staff discuss getting the train on the move again.

post-17370-0-41338800-1515576944_thumb.jpg

Edited by Western Aviator
  • Like 12

• 4 weeks later...

That may very well be true but it's not hard to envisage a situation where the B1 has failed on the mainline and has to be dragged at the end of an air-braked train with the crew not realising that it is unbraked. It could roll away dangerously if the coupling parted. Everybody has a moral duty - when not a legal one - to make these unsafe conditions known before there is an accident. Whilst such a scenario is unlikely, it is not impossible and would seriously damage the ability of operators of heritage vehicles to persuade the powers that be that they know what they are doing.

Does anyone have a contact details for the responsible person at the B1 Trust?

You could raise a "Close Call"

http://help.closecallsystem.co.uk/default.aspx

That may very well be true but it's not hard to envisage a situation where the B1 has failed on the mainline and has to be dragged at the end of an air-braked train with the crew not realising that it is unbraked. It could roll away dangerously if the coupling parted. Everybody has a moral duty - when not a legal one - to make these unsafe conditions known before there is an accident. Whilst such a scenario is unlikely, it is not impossible and would seriously damage the ability of operators of heritage vehicles to persuade the powers that be that they know what they are doing.

Does anyone have a contact details for the responsible person at the B1 Trust?

I would hope they would realise something was wrong when they are unable to carry out a brake continuity test because a certain pipe is 'missing' before commencing any movement!

Can you please explain how this scenario would play out, also how would they couple an air braked train to a vacuum braked loco without realising something was wrong?

If you have any prior knowledge of this scenario taking place then please post it, I would be very interested in hearing about it.

Edited by royaloak

• RMweb Premium

I would hope they would realise something was wrong when they are unable to carry out a brake continuity test because a certain pipe is 'missing' before commencing any movement!

Can you please explain how this scenario would play out, also how would they couple an air braked train to a vacuum braked loco without realising something was wrong?

If you have any prior knowledge of this scenario taking place then please post it, I would be very interested in hearing about it.

Can't find the post now but wasn't the issue incorrect colours on the pipes on the locomotive?

Though I can't imagine how an air pipe would connect to a vacuum pipe. Maybe it had a through pipe coloured as if the locomotive was air braked?

The loco appears to be fitted with an air system brake pipe as well as its vacuum pipe. The air brake pipe on the loco is coloured as though it is a normal brake pipe, but apparently is only a through pipe. You seem to have missed this important point.

The scenario is this: loco working a dual braked train (in vacuum brake mode) on main line fails on a gradient and has to be rescued at the other end by an air braked loco. Train crew couple rescue loco, attach air brake pipes throughout and conduct a brake test by opening the brake cock at the rear of the train (loco front end). Brake pipe pressure lost so brake test deemed satisfactory (nobody could tell if the blocks were hard up against the wheels of the steam engine - maybe the crew were disabled by a blow-back or similar). 

Rescue loco reverses train with a bit of a snatch that causes couplings and brake pipe to part between train and steam loco. Steam loco is now unbraked but the brakes cause the main train to stop. Meanwhile unbraked loco rolls back down gradient, passes a signal at danger and comes to rest across a junction where it is hit simultaneously by up and down 200km/h trains.

Unlikely yes - impossible? I'll leave you to explain why so.