The human side of the railway...

Probably languishing in lofts, or landfill... I can remember watching a couple of young lads doing a rubbing of 47 081's plate at Reading one Sunday morning in the '70s, the Driver was keen on getting away right time and the two lads were making a hash if it, I always wondered what happened to it.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

I never really saw the point of it because as you say above it was often done in a rush so wouldn't be good ,then once its at home what do you do with it, hardly the best thing for a bedroom wall and if it was a Deltic one it could be huge

I wonder what happened to all those nameplate rubbings,considering how many times you used to see it taking place I've never seen one for sale

Probably languishing in lofts, or landfill... I can remember watching a couple of young lads doing a rubbing of 47 081's plate at Reading one Sunday morning in the '70s, the Driver was keen on getting away right time and the two lads were making a hash if it, I always wondered what happened to it.

In an effort to find out I have just started a new thread 'Souvenirs from the good old days' which might bring forth some gems from the past.

Cheers

Trevor

• Like 3

Here's another one at York. Anyone recognise himself?

attachicon.gif(1776c) 55021 York station 05-08-80 (T Ermel) .jpg

Spotters indulge in a bit of nameplate-rubbing, with 55021 the target on 5th August 1980. Good job they seem to be using wallpaper - Argyll & Sutherland Highlander is one of the longer ones. 

Trevor

Well. the only time I tried that must have been in 1981, on a school railway club outing to York.  Came specially armed with a roll of wall paper and wax crayon/

The only Deltic which stopped on our platform had already lost its nameplate!

So I got a rubbing of its number.  Wonder what happened to it?

• RMweb Premium

Nothing better than a Magnum photograph and no better photographer than David Hurn.

http://www.beatlesarchive.net/the-beatles-by-david-hurn.html

...but that ain't non of the Acton stations. He should have remembered being here.

attachicon.gifHarooowld2.jpg

P

The 1930s Gatwick Airport station - now flattened and the site of Tinsley Green crossovers.

Not to be confused with the current Gatwick Airport station - opened as Gatwick Racecourse by the LSBCR

The 1930s Gatwick Airport station - now flattened and the site of Tinsley Green crossovers.

Not to be confused with the current Gatwick Airport station - opened as Gatwick Racecourse by the LSBCR

I'd believe this location, seeing as the train on the far right is formed of 4Cor stock...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

That's Lawrence Hill all right, with the train on the up main; the down main is nearest the camera and the relief roads serve the platforms.  The viewpoint is looking southwestwards from the eastern side of the station.  

• RMweb Gold

That's Lawrence Hill all right, with the train on the up main; the down main is nearest the camera and the relief roads serve the platforms.  The viewpoint is looking southwestwards from the eastern side of the station.  

Thanks for confirming that. Although it was one of Dad's spotting haunts, when we lived in Somerset, I don't think he took other photos from precisely this vantage point. I wonder what was happening to bring out the other spotters.

• RMweb Gold

The answer might be in the photograph; if this is late in the day for WR steam a Castle hauled express is a rarity.  I can't identify the loco, which is not clean but not in bad nick, feathering at the safety valves ready for the climb to Filton.  The headcode denotes a North to West line train, or possibly one from the Gloucester direction as the train is not on the relief road as one might expect for a working heading for the Severn Tunnel, but anyway a working heading for the LMR.  A chalked headcode has not been cleaned from the smokebox door and suggests the outward working; perhaps someone with Working Time Tables for the period ('63/4?) can identify it.  

Perhaps a Pontypool Road or Gloucester loco, or from even further afeild.  And I'll hazard a guess that it's weekend or evening shot, or those spotters ought to be in school!

• Like 1

0311178568web.jpg

On the Friday evening (3 Nov 2017) a nocturnal scene from Totnes Riverside with 8568 awaiting departure for Buckfastleigh during the superb South Devon deisel gala. The staff look on whilst the enthusiast is engrossed in his moves. Could pass for Hawick in the early 60's perhaps?

NR

Edited by Southof1E top tmd
  • Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Chalk Farm Depot, photo by Lyn Wratten...

post-7638-0-00838900-1511005716.jpg

New Cross Gate 1969, photo by Paul Colins...

post-7638-0-72392700-1511005791_thumb.jpg

Bolton, late '60s, photo by Philip Stainer...

post-7638-0-44831900-1511005842_thumb.jpg

Radstock 1970, left to right ; Stanley Tout, Driver Frank Kemp and Shunter Jock Wilson, photo by Stanley Tout...

post-7638-0-59378500-1511005902_thumb.jpg

• Like 13