The human side of the railway...

• 2 weeks later...

General activity following derailment of 'The Andover Fist' railtour just prior to crossing Canute Road and entering Southampton Eastern Docks, yesterday 5 November 2016. I believe that the loco remained on the track however the leading bogie of the genny car and the first axle off on coach A derailed.

The train was split and all but the derailed vehicles returned to Eastleigh wher the tour was caped.

A busy day for all involved....!

post-3043-0-36416600-1478423451_thumb.jpg

post-3043-0-78215700-1478423459_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Could get interesting as the loco appears to be on the rails but the first 2 coaches are off?

Following noted on WNXX Interatcive Forum:

".....it certainly appears that 'condition of track' is the main focus:

Following yesterday’s derailment I would like firstly to offer apologies to you our customer. The derailment of a passenger-carrying train is an extremely serious matter and we are fortunate that no injuries were sustained.

The accident occurred on Network Rail infrastructure on a line that connects Southampton Eastern Dock to the rest of the National Network. As well as being a strategic freight link, it also gives access to the QE2 Cruise Terminal and although boat trains have not run in recent months (for purely commercial reasons which could change at any time) it is reasonable to conclude that the line ought be maintained to full passenger standards. In this respect it is not a ‘freight only’ line.

The Rail Accident Investigation Branch (RAIB) was informed straight away and from that moment the whole site was placed under their control. Nothing could be moved. During the lengthy time that the investigation proceeded, information as to the outcome was very sparse, as indeed might be expected.

When clearance was given for the unaffected vehicles to be moved, the RAIB continued its investigation into the condition of the track. The two derailed vehicles were re-railed and left the site late last night.

When the outcome of the RAIB investigation is complete we would expect the findings to be published on their website. Investigations often take a long time to complete.

This is the first of a number of bulletins which will be emailed to booked customers.

There will be conference call between ourselves and the operators at around mid-day today (Sunday). Bulletin No 2 will hopefully be today (Sunday) but it will be no later than tomorrow (Monday).

We are grateful to our friends at South West Trains for agreeing to convey our passengers back to Woking and Waterloo, and to the several supportive emails received from customers yesterday and today.

Once again, apologies for the disappointment yesterday. We have no more information just yet but we will be in touch again soon.

John Farrow

Hertfordshire Railtours"

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Trainspotting banned at Tamworth.

http://www.warwickshirerailways.com/lms/lnwr_tam3643.htm

Most headed for the field just along the line. 

I preferred Rugby, although I got thrown off there once. Most times a friendly crew would let us in the Relief Cabin for a brew and a warm. A lookout with binoculars was posted to get the numbers of trains on the GC bridge. In good weather we used to go where the PSB was built, but if BTP moved us on we went into the field between the main and Peterborough lines next to the GC.

Edited by TheSignalEngineer
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

There seems to be a lot of derailments recently on bits of NR metals around boundaries, this one, one at Fletton and the NVR, and one last year at the Mid Norfolk. Not looking good is it?

Andy G

• RMweb Premium

Anyway, getting back to staff, here are some photos taken from the box on Sunday 30th October, while the overhead contractors were putting on their Unimog and other 'thing':

post-8375-0-26467900-1478623017.jpg

post-8375-0-99937800-1478623036.jpg

post-8375-0-21331000-1478623088.jpg

post-8375-0-55186100-1478623105.jpg

post-8375-0-53250400-1478623126.jpg

Andy G

post-8375-0-09582700-1478623056.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Anyway, getting back to staff, here are some photos taken from the box on Sunday 30th October, while the overhead contractors were putting on their Unimog and other 'thing':

Andy G

Anyone able to clarify what the 'Thing' is?

Edited by phil-b259

• RMweb Premium

Anyone able to clarify what the 'Thing' is?

I checked the OTP sight and there was a pic of the same or an identical piece of machinery marked 'Hydrex' but that turned out to be a plant hire company. There was no other information on the OTP site but the pics were clearer and its looks as if its an access platform.

• RMweb Premium

It is some sort of access tower, but I found it interesting in that the caterpillar tracks remained across the 4 foot while in rail mode, not inline with them. Noisy thing too.

Andy G

• RMweb Gold

I was thinking of adding some orange army pix but seeing those just above, I thought I would dredge some more out of Dad's albums.

I believe that the penultimate shot is of Cunard White Star 

post-14351-0-33604800-1478647340_thumb.jpg

post-14351-0-41110300-1478647341_thumb.jpg

post-14351-0-91678900-1478647342_thumb.jpg

post-14351-0-05304400-1478710574_thumb.jpg

post-14351-0-52747800-1478647345_thumb.jpg

post-14351-0-55235900-1478647346_thumb.jpg

post-14351-0-82531700-1478647347_thumb.jpg

It has been drawn to my attention that I initially uploaded the NBR & CR photo with the wrong caption. I had had the error of my ways pointed out, previously, in my ipernity photo-sharing album.  Walter Simms identified the location as Arbroath and pointed out that the CR loco was a 0-4-4T from Forfar shed. From Dad's loco spotting logs, I have now tracked down the date as 25.8.1952. 67498 was on the 12.44pm down and 56230 appears to have been shunting.

I should have deleted the image with the wrong caption from my files, shouldn't I?

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Nice selection there Phil... the going away shot of the Bullied Pacific being tended by its crew never gets old, I could look at that all day.

There seem to be a lot of bods there - three on the tender, one in the cab and one on the platform! 

Edited by phil_sutters

There seem to be a lot of bods there - three on the tender, one in the cab and one on the platform! 

Crew change I should think, with the two firemen drawing coal forward and the drivers stood on the platform/next to the water filler.

The fourth photograph looks like Arbroath to me, with the CR tank being of the 439 variety rather than an 0-6-0T.

• RMweb Gold

Crew change I should think, with the two firemen drawing coal forward and the drivers stood on the platform/next to the water filler.

The fourth photograph looks like Arbroath to me, with the CR tank being of the 439 variety rather than an 0-6-0T.

Thanks BA! Please see the notes at the bottom of the original post, from which you will see I have been here before!

• RMweb Gold

A couple of postmen - reminder of the days when most long distance mail went by train

post-14351-0-23713400-1479076726_thumb.jpg

The second shot only has a little human content, but I am curious about what they are doing. They don't look like day-to-day passengers. It's as if there is a stop on some sort of special trip, but the train itself is very ordinary. Am I reading too much into this?

post-14351-0-53408500-1479077217_thumb.jpg

I think that the location is recognizable with those distinctive chimneys - but I can't place it.

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium

A couple of postmen - reminder of the days when most long distance mail went by train

attachicon.gifBR 2-10-0 92022 Matlock 1965 or 66.jpg

The second shot only has a little human content, but I am curious about what they are doing. They don't look like day-to-day passengers. It's as if there is a stop on some sort of special trip, but the train itself is very ordinary. Am I reading too much into this?

attachicon.gifGWR Collet 0-6-0 3203 location & date unknown 4net.jpg

I think that the location is recognizable with those distinctive chimneys - but I can't place it.

The second pic I would suggest that the train has broken down and the passengers detrained. Obviously not any sort of special going by the filthy state of the engine which is why I sumise it has broken down.

The second pic I would suggest that the train has broken down and the passengers detrained. Obviously not any sort of special going by the filthy state of the engine which is why I sumise it has broken down.

Something weird is going on in that second photo as I'm sure I can see someone on top of what looks like the fourth coach?

Paul J.

• RMweb Gold

Something weird is going on in that second photo as I'm sure I can see someone on top of what looks like the fourth coach?

Paul J.

In those days some stock still had the toilet tanks filled through the roof. I remember some ex-GWR stations with filling hoses on the platform canopies and hearing staff walking alomg the top of the train.