The human side of the railway...

That track plan is a lot simpler than I remember it was.

I lived in Haywards Heath from 1966-74 and they were always that way round - I thought that as the Down Loop/Relief* platform (1) was nearest the main station building that all stations were numbered that way...

At that time, only platform 1 and the down loop/relief line was reversible (albeit not fully signalled), but only for access to the Horsted Keynes branch at Copyhold Junction. We only rarely saw anything head up to the branch and they appeared to be signalled off the ground lights and a railway official with a green flag.

*As it was referred to by various platform staff at the time - some said loop, some relief....

Edited by talisman56

• RMweb Gold

And if anyone can explain why Haywards Heath has its platform numbers the wrong way around (1 and 2 are the Down Brighton bound, 3 and 4 are the Up London bound all be it all four are reversible - with caveats) then I would dearly like to hear it!!

Ditto Purley, ISTR.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest eddie reffin

A fine looking bunch of trainee drivers. Course 23. We are all currently doing our hours with our DI's. Hopefully pass out in Nov/Dec this year

post-3930-0-66453800-1399765494_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

An enthusiastic passenger enjoying the sound of 31423 leaving Reading on the 1334 to Manchester sometime in the early '90s. Actually, this gentleman was BR staff and was perhaps one of the more eccentric people I worked with during my spell on the railway. 

post-17370-0-63819400-1399904672_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Not quite sure if this "human" but at work is the latest "must have" for NetworkRail depots......

post-6748-0-19162800-1402086104_thumb.jpg

They have been trying to persuade us to reverse park in bays for the last year (left hand notice) but now it seems they're trying to make it compulsory as the lifesize cutout says.

• RMweb Gold

Not quite sure if this "human" but at work is the latest "must have" for NetworkRail depots......

attachicon.gifgateman002.jpg

They have been trying to persuade us to reverse park in bays for the last year (left hand notice) but now it seems they're trying to make it compulsory as the lifesize cutout says.

It is the safest way to park a car, so why not?

• RMweb Gold

attachicon.gifgateman002.jpg

Interesting to note the example in the right background Probably the bloke who had the notices put up ...  :jester: 

An enthusiastic passenger enjoying the sound of 31423 leaving Reading on the 1334 to Manchester sometime in the early '90s. Actually, this gentleman was BR staff and was perhaps one of the more eccentric people I worked with during my spell on the railway. 

Has it got to Manchester yet?

• RMweb Gold

Interesting to note the example in the right background Probably the bloke who had the notices put up ...  :jester: 

My guess is that the location in the background isn't a Network Rail location.

• RMweb Gold

Depends on whether you want to get to the contents of the boot or not...

No, it's the safest way to park. It might not be the most convenient, but it is the safest.