The human side of the railway...

• RMweb Premium

A few from the Gloucestershire Warwickshire railway yesterday...

Before a trip in the brake van of the freight train from Toddington to Cheltenham, the coal is damped down

attachicon.gifP1040228.JPG

The photographers are photographed (I guess I will be spoiling a few pictures :) )

attachicon.gifP1040235.JPG

Inside Greet tunnel (not showing any humans, but they were there!)

attachicon.gifP1040238.JPG

Is it on or off, better check (on subsequent journeys, this signal had been attended to and was properly showing on or off)

attachicon.gifP1040239.JPG

Waiting at Gotherington

attachicon.gifP1040242.JPG

Cheltenham waits at Winchcombe, to go to its namesake

attachicon.gifP1040265.JPG

Disposing of 2807 at the end of the day

attachicon.gifP1040272.JPG

Superb photos.... until you spoilt them with that interloper waiting for the signal. :yes:

Edited by brushman47544

Not a photo, but a human side of the railway nonetheless; a certificate presented to my maternal Grandfather on his retirement from BR in 1974 after almost a half century as a railwayman, from Guard to Inspector. Interestingly he was offered promotion to a higher grade in the late 50s which came with a 'tied' (larger) house which he refused, as he felt it was above his station in life - much to my Grandmother's annoyance!

He started out with the newly formed LNER in Kirkcaldy, but was very much brought up in the NBR tradition (Father was a Driver with the NB) and saw the general strike, a world war and the formation of BR, with whom he was also based in Thornton and then Oakley, then as traffic further receeded the 60s he transferred to Grangemouth to see out his final 8 years before retirement.

He also received a present which I think was a watch, but I've no idea where that's got to - do modern day staff receive such things after their half century?

He very much relaxed and enjoyed his retirement, and this fly Fifer passed away in 2007, aged 98.

post-9382-0-77424500-1369743224_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bon Accord
  • Like 16

• RMweb Gold

He also received a present which I think was a watch, but I've no idea where that's got to - do modern day staff receive such things after their half century?

In latter BR days 25 years was seen as a watershed deserving a present, for which there was a list, with a similar arrangement for retirement. One of the most common choices for retirement presents was a Teasmade - something you might have felt of more use at the start of the career rather than the end!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

The qualifying period for Long Service Awards (for male staff) was agreed at 40 years w.e.f 01 January 1957 and amended in December 1969 to include a gift with the option of either 'a suitably inscribed watch or clock', or a pair of binoculars, or a canteen of cutlery, or a stainless steel teaset, or a Teasmade.  the qualifying period was subsequently reduced in stages to 25 years (which is when I got my binoculars - anyone know where I can get them repaired) but I can't recall getting a certificate although Mrs Stationmaster and I were taken to lunch in a rather nice Italian restaurant in Swindon.

I don't think there has been any sort of national scheme for presentation of anything on retirement other than a certificate for many years.  When I was at a loco depot in the 1980s we used to have a little presentation ceremony followed by a tea for retiring staff and their wives.  While when i was in South Wales back in the '70s one place where I worked ran a fund to save for an annual presentation to retirees accompanied by an evening in Cardiff Queen St BRSA club.

My farewell treat from my operating company was a canal boat trip and a pub lunch while another company with which I worked closely at that time took me out to lunch, in Lille.

• Like 4

A few from the Gloucestershire Warwickshire railway yesterday...

Is it on or off, better check (on subsequent journeys, this signal had been attended to and was properly showing on or off)

Seeing this photo reminded me of the time I was working at Hoylake signal box.

The down home 1 signal was about 200 yards before the home 2 signal which protected the level crossing there.

To clear the home 1 signal required the gates to be opened and this was done when the down train appeared in view; this meant that usually the train was at a stand before it could be cleared.

One warm day I'd cleared the down signals for the train which then left the station for West Kirby and then stopped across the level crossing with the Driver's cab door opposite the box.

The door opened and the Driver (who could be awkward, when he wanted to) called over that "the down Home 1 signal was showing more red than green"

I replied "why are you standing here then?"   (he should have contacted me from the signal for clarification)

"Good point" he replied, closed the door and moved off.

• Like 3

Ian/Mike,

Many thanks for the above. Now that it's been mentioned, I distinctly recall both my Grandfathers having Teasmade's in their respective bedrooms (paternal Grandfather also became a Guard after he packed in going to sea). Showing my age perhaps, but way back when I always thought those Teasmade efforts to be quite innovative things, after all, freshly made tea next to your bed when you wake!

Then again, I'm not of the ipad generation - simple things and all that!

Edited by Bon Accord
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

do modern day staff receive such things after their half century?

I don't know about retirement but NR still do 10 year and 25 year long service awards. Before anyone gets excied they are only a certificate and an allocation of 'points' to allow you to chose something from the 'cooperate rewards catalogue', but in this day and age it's a nice touch.

• RMweb Gold

Severn Valley Railway buffet-trolley crew, resting between trips.

post-4295-0-49692800-1369909259_thumb.jpg

While at the Bluebell, these chaps seem to help visitors across the track at the Lewes end of Sheffield Park.

post-4295-0-70189900-1369909340_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

I don't know about retirement but NR still do 10 year and 25 year long service awards. Before anyone gets excied they are only a certificate and an allocation of 'points' to allow you to chose something from the 'cooperate rewards catalogue', but in this day and age it's a nice touch.

Going back a goodly few years there was a C&W Examiner at Reading who reputedly had received two Long Service Awards.  He had definitely started on the SE&CR and was already over age when the Westen took over the remnants of the Southern at Reading with the Western blokes being rather windy when it came to working near conductor rails - so he was kept on to check the stabled emus on a regular night turn.  I know that he was in his 70s but I'm not quite sure how far into them.

I also came across a chap on the West Highland Extension in 1969 who had started as a Cleaner at Mallaig around 1912/13, when he retired as a Driver he was given a chance to come back part time(ish) at Morar so by then he had done nearly 60 years service in total.

• Like 2

Rail News regularly has items on retirements, especially those where people have got 50 in, or have several generations still working on the Railway.  

I saw similar chaps helping people with wheelchairs and push chairs across the barrow crossing at the Alton end of Alresford station a couple of weeks ago.

Some accurate positioning needed from the signalman waiting to collect the Token from the second man on 50027:

post-14641-0-53768800-1369923582_thumb.jpg

Edited by talisman56
  • Like 8

There used to be a part-timer at Ashtead who done morning platform duties. He said he used to be a driver at Stewarts Lane in the steam days.

He'd always meet and greet the drivers of Up trains and offer them half a Fishermans Friend! He must have been in his late 70's or early 80's, and that was back in the 1980's! I never did get to know his name. A nice old boy though.

• Like 1

Conversation Piece

Traincrew changeover is taking place at Edinburgh Waverley on Fielding & Watts railtour 'The Skirl O' The Pipes'

post-7081-0-01666200-1370175987_thumb.jpg

Haymarkets 47269 is doing the honours, 9/5/82

cheers

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

The crossing keeper at Minety crossing, between Swindon and Kemble, talking with my colleague. This crossing will be automated when the line is re-doubled next Easter.

post-57-0-25016900-1370789620.jpg

Surveyors from the Network Rail Property department mapping out the new fence line between the Up Waterloo line (between Blackboy Tunnel and Exmouth Jct) and the former coal yard, which is now heavily overgrown and soon to be sold off for redevelopment (hasn't been used by rail for over 20 years).

post-57-0-58040300-1370789689.jpg

Network Rail PW renewals chaps surveying the on-going work at Taunton Old Loco, to install three new sidings and re-align the High Output shunting spur from Fairwater Yard, to allow a relief road to be build on the alignment of the old shunting spur (former Goods Lines) in due course.

post-57-0-80765700-1370789797.jpg

• Like 12

Further to Post #803 about the chap at Ashtead Station, I too cannot remember his name.

Also, more recently, about a year ago we had a meeting of Ashtead Residents Association at which some senior bods from Southern came to talk about the plans for the new station building. Having waffled on for a bit, they asked for views. Somebody then got up and pointed out that Colin, out ticket Office man, was in the audience and perhaps he would like to say something. At that point everyone spontaneously broke into applause for him as he is well known to all the commuters. The look on the faces of the Southern managers was priceless as they suddenly seemed to lose all their self importance. I got the impression later that Colin had come to the meeting as being the only way of finding out what was really happening to his station!

Edwin C

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

49 years ago yesterday.

Health and Safety issues ?

http://www.flickr.com/search/?w=55350440@N06&q=44759

Only in today's cotton-wool environment. The ability of an informed member of staff to judge whether it was safe to cross the line was a given at thousands of stations up and down the country. They did it many times every day for more than a century, so that is an awful lot of safe crossings. It helps that these days there are no station staff to speak of, and they have remarkably few reasons to cross the line, there being no parcels business, no mails and no newspaper traffic. And many of those same very lowly platform staff were also expected to wind and clip points and flag signals as part of their job-spec. I wonder how many delay minutes would be saved today if that knowledge - and those staff - had been retained?

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Only in today's cotton-wool environment. The ability of an informed member of staff to judge whether it was safe to cross the line was a given at thousands of stations up and down the country. They did it many times every day for more than a century, so that is an awful lot of safe crossings. It helps that these days there are no station staff to speak of, and they have remarkably few reasons to cross the line, there being no parcels business, no mails and no newspaper traffic. And many of those same very lowly platform staff were also expected to wind and clip points and flag signals as part of their job-spec. I wonder how many delay minutes would be saved today if that knowledge - and those staff - had been retained?

Wasn't it in the Rule Book somewhere that staff had an obligation to help where possible in the event of problems with the service?

I fixed a few signalling failures when a passenger, especially when it was my going home train that was being held up.

Around 1990 it was even possible to get a 'Customer Service Award' in some areas for doing something outside your normal job to keep trains running.

• Like 2