Mainline 43xx

Hi all. Yes, I know it's probably a waste of time, but I am trying to resurrect a Mainline class 43 chassis. It has all the usual problems, i.e. the "bang" as it runs, so the gear/sleeve arrangement has died. It also has a set of traction tyres that could be used as sieves! Right: Here is the daft question for the day. Does anyone know of a source of Mainline spares for one of these? I have a Bachmann 43xx chassis spare, but I don't know if that will drop in under the body, and I like to use the original wherever I can save it.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer.

The last remnants of Mainline are with Replica, so that's one place to look for what spares are available. http://www.replicarailways.co.uk/ Put a request in 'wanted' here too, you never know what might turn up.

The Bachmann chassis will fit, as it was developed for the body tooling from Mainline. Sometimes there are minor fitting changes, don't know the specifics of this model.

The problem with the spares, even if they are available, is that

they are going to be old stock.

This means the plastic bits [gear wheels, axle tubes, etc.] could

be just as bad as the ones you have, as the plastic degrades over

time, not just with use or contact with lubricants.

I would recommend that you go with the Bachmann chassis, or

retire it to the display cabinet and buy a new one.

Also you have the choice of a replacement chassis from Comet,

etc.

Good luck, Jeff

Though I have never tried it with rtr, the large prairie is technically a mogul with a bunker/side tanks and rear pony. I have used an etched 61XX prairie chassis under a Mainline mogul body with no issues. Swindon standardisation comes in very handy. If you are feeling really adventurous, some mogul frames were used in the construction of Granges and Manors (though cylinders will need moving)

It may be worth seeing if the Airfix/Hornby Prairie chassis can be cut down to fit the Mainline mogul body. Just a thought.

Mike Wiltshire

Though I have never tried it with rtr, the large prairie is technically a mogul with a bunker/side tanks and rear pony. I have used an etched 61XX prairie chassis under a Mainline mogul body with no issues. Swindon standardisation comes in very handy. If you are feeling really adventurous, some mogul frames were used in the construction of Granges and Manors (though cylinders will need moving)

It may be worth seeing if the Airfix/Hornby Prairie chassis can be cut down to fit the Mainline mogul body...

It works in the other direction with Doncaster products; those who don't want to wait for Bachmann to replace the split chassis on the V1/V3 can use the chassis from the K3. Standardisation was everywhere on the railways. This 'substitute parts from another model' approach seems strangely out of fashion now. Regular requests for the Stanier Mogul, when all the principal parts are available from RTR models; and just need to be assembled other than how they emerged from the factory...

• RMweb Gold

It may be worth seeing if the Airfix/Hornby Prairie chassis can be cut down to fit the Mainline mogul body. Just a thought.

Mike Wiltshire

Which preserved railway was it that actually converted a large prairie into a unique mogul? Could be a nice modelling project.

Hi All,

At Didcot, we will have a Modified Hall chassis running under a County body and Hall chassis (new cylinders and wheels) running under a Saint. Ok - its in 12" to 1' scale but it is even done on the real thing! There is also a Hall body (well, boiler) for use on a scratch built Grange chassis at the Llangollen...

Isn't the Baby Deltic recreation running on Class 20 bogies with a Class 37 chassis too?

I also have a OO Gauge Manor with a Grange chassis a fairly easy conversion and a massive improvement in running and detail. I bought the Grange as a whole and took the much finer body detail off the Grange and added it to the Manor. I also gained a spare Collett 4,000 gallon tender out of it too...

All the best,

Castle

Archived