Β 

Are there any remaining surface freight lines on Manhattan?

So I finally got around to see Dark Knight Rises this weekend.

Β 

No spoilers - I promise.

Β 

The movie was almost entirely set in Gotham City aka New York City. There was one scene of a construction site. In the background of the scene a train passes. I wasn't paying close enough attention to see the locomotive / livery but the train was comprised of dingy covered autoracks.

Β 

Of course the movie is set in Gotham City so its not necessary that it is faithfully New York, but it seemed odd to see a surface freight, particularly an autorack and particularly since most of the movie was focused on the lower, uptown/downtown half of Manhattan. Yes, I know, it's just a movie.

Β 

It made me wonder, are there surface freight lines in Manhattan? There used to be lots of them.

Β 

There is a surface line along the Hudson (that goes under the George Washington Bridge and eventually goes underground at about 123rd St.)

Well, the Bronx, Brooklyn and Staten Island are all boroughs of Gotham City all have plenty of freight lines (SI the least).

Thanks Pete - I'd have to see the movie again to determine if the purported location was not on Manhattan for that scene. They do show a map at one point.

Β 

I expected places like Brooklyn and Queens to still have lots of rail freight.

There was one scene of a construction site. In the background of the scene a train passes. I wasn't paying close enough attention to see the locomotive / livery but the train was comprised of dingy covered autoracks.

Definitely not the real NY City then, because in real life autoracks do not enter New York City nor Long Island due to clearance issues (autoracks are Plate K clearence, about the same height as Double Stacks - 6.15m, 20ft2in). Autoracks in the Tri-State area stay west of the Hudson River on the Jersey Side or pass way north of NY on their way to New England destinations. I guess auto-racks and double stacks could be brought in by PA carfloat to Bay Ridge Brooklyn, but not sure how far they'd get up the Bay Ridge branch before they ran into clearance issues.

Β 

Of course the movie is set in Gotham City so its not necessary that it is faithfully New York, but it seemed odd to see a surface freight, particularly an autorack and particularly since most of the movie was focused on the lower, uptown/downtown half of Manhattan.

Heck, Spiderman 2 was specifically set in New York City, and we don't have any Downtown (Financial District)

. (nor did we ever have els that just terminated about 7 stories above the street, nowhere near a terminal station)

Β 

I expected places like Brooklyn and Queens to still have lots of rail freight.

Well...they certainly have more revenue rail freight moves than Manhattan currently does (which is 0, and has been 0 since about 1980)

Archived