farish decoders in Dapol loco's

hst125

Has anyone tried to put a farish decoder in a Dapol loco. In partuclar , have they taken off the blue insulation to get it to fit like a £30 gaugemaster chip would. If you have you could save money as the farish chip is around the £14 mark. Has anyone done this, as i have a good few Dapol loco's to chip and want to do it as cheaply as possible.

Please advise

Paul ratcliffe

Hi Paul,

Space when it comes to decoders is a prime thought process of mine, and you have come to an admirable solution.

However due to certain problems reported in forums such as this with certain manufacturers decoders, Dapol dont recommend certain decoders due to these reported problems, and testing has born some of these out.

We do recommend decoders within the pages of our catalogue, and i think the general rule of thumb is 'you get what you pay for' and this is indeed true with decoders in general.

Cheers

Dave

• RMweb Premium

IF it fits then the Bachmann decoder will work in Dapol models.

However, it's not as good at the Digitrax DZ125IN (which is the identical the Gaugemaster 6 pin decoder?) which isn't much more expensive. The Bachmann one also doesn't work on DC unlike most others.

That said, it would be good if the Bachmann decoder fitted. It is my decoder of choice for DMU trailer cars (or DVT) where all you want to do is control the lighting - there's no point spending the extra £s as there's no benefit from it if all you're doing is turning lights on or off. Dapol Dave, please think again! (or find us a low cost function only 6 pin decoder for all the dummy DMUs you like selling us! :derisive: ) ).

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

Archived