Price fixing?

Having a 'want' for Seuthe smokers I checked out Conrad UK some months back. They were a good price starting at around £13.99. which appeared cheaper than most other suppliers. On checking a couple of days back their prices now seem in step with others. Is this resale price maintenance in action ?, Pity Seuthe have the almost monopoly for these , which for what they consist of is very overpriced. And with the fall of the Euro against the Pound ,should this NOT make Eurozone imports cheaper ?. Holidays certainly are or is this another rip off.,!. Beeman.

Having a 'want' for Seuthe smokers I checked out Conrad UK some months back. They were a good price starting at around £13.99. which appeared cheaper than most other suppliers. On checking a couple of days back their prices now seem in step with others. Is this resale price maintenance in action ?, Pity Seuthe have the almost monopoly for these , which for what they consist of is very overpriced. And with the fall of the Euro against the Pound ,should this NOT make Eurozone imports cheaper ?. Holidays certainly are or is this another rip off.,!. Beeman.

You're jumping to a lot of assumptions and making accusations there. Please don't do that.

Their price increase may have lagged behind others and currency exchange is not necessarily the only factor in price changes.

In reply to Andy Y, I was asking questions not making accusations, or is that something we are not supposed to do these days, and to 'hear' any similar comments by others. There appears a price jump of some 50% against their previous price, which is very high, and taking into account the drop in currency exchange against the EURO. that should be to the UK advantage. One has to shop around to get the 'best price' one can whatever one is desirous of buying. and can usually be very advantagious. Beeman.

I am wondering what list I perused the other day and then compared to other suppliers. On checking Conrads site a few minutes ago it appears the prices are STILL the same as I first commented on, and as stated very competitive.. Dunno what went wrong but apologies for my possible error. Beeman.

In reply to Andy Y, I was asking questions not making accusations, or is that something we are not supposed to do these days,

It does seem to be a habit of yours - http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/54042-big-brother/page__fromsearch__1 - shooting first before thinking.

You've asked questions in a way that clearly illustrates your viewpoint. There's little difference whether it has a ? or . at the end.

Guest 40-something

Maybe its the cost of raw materials thats caused the increase. Its probable that they are made in batches and sold at a price that reflects the material costs at the time, and when a new batch is made, the raw materials may have significantly increased in price?

Not an expert on this but in the field I work in (energy), there can be eye watering price changes within days (hours in some parts)

EDITED to make up for my dyslexic keyboard

Is this resale price maintenance in action ?, Pity Seuthe have the almost monopoly for these , which for what they consist of is very overpriced.

As retail price maintenance is illegal, Andy Y is quite correct to step in as you have (inadvertantly or otherwise) implied a criminal act!

Life is not about finding the lowest price possible as you will often find quality far outweighs the lowest price. That can be quality of service, customer return procedure, delivery or a dozen other factors that contribute towards the purchasing decision.

A little understanding of how an international business operates would help you considerably before making accusations of illegal business practices.

FWIW I think having resale price maintenance/fixed pricing would benefit us because there would be no advantage in going to the box shifters for the big ticket items and we would still have a good model shop in most towns where we can get the litttle bits and bobs.

Ed

• RMweb Premium

As retail price maintenance is illegal, Andy Y is quite correct to step in as you have (inadvertantly or otherwise) implied a criminal act!

RPM may be illegal but it doesn't stop manufacturers/importers of certain products exerting control over retailers to control pricing and levels of discounts. It is usually done by threatening to with hold supply if the retailer doesn't comply.

I don't know of any examples in our hobby (but I don't follow the RTR market where it is most likely to be effective) but have experienced it with electical kitchen products, for example.

This is what Beeman posted on another forum

I posted this a few minutes back on RMWeb only to have my hand smacked as making 'assumptions and accusations.' valid questions?,or are we not allowed to ask/comment when price changes come into effect. Mushrooms come into mind, and perhaps those getting away from the 'you vill do as I say' doctrinaire.Beeman.

So when Andy tries to be reasonable, despite the provocative initial posting he still gets insults on other places - perhaps those who do this sort of thing should move permanently to those forums where they are obviously happier

Just by way of a follow up to this the OP made the same statement on another site and then came back to say he'd confused the pricing and the retailer who was alleged to have increased prices seemingly hadn't done so. When I corrected another member (previously banned from RMweb) on that site who questioned whether I'd slapped beeman's wrists because I was taking some back-hander or other vested interest (I've never dealt with or communicated with any party concerned) my statement was removed and I was told by the site owner not to take 'our' arguments over there. Funny; it looked like the OP had taken the baggage over there to me, all I was doing was addressing to correct the libellous statement. It was only when I reported (via their system) the post formally requesting a take-down on the basis of the libellous statement that action was taken some 24+ hours later.

Funnily enough the OP (who apologised on MRF but not here) deems RMweb to be worthy of asking questions for his benefit whilst criticising the way it's run.

Some people.

Archived