Great West Road - transfers & I’m not talking football!

southern42

• RMweb Premium

Just been interrupted by a NEWS FLASH.

Ray's rigged up a WiFi camera on the layout in the spare room that he's watching on his iPad and controlling trains from his iPhone using WiThrottle down here in the sitting room.  Whatever next? :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive:

• RMweb Premium

Another stable mate for Bittern. 

I like this for all that detail around the diesel fuelling point.

The brickwork is also on the floor inside the shed.

You can just see the the water tower and gasometer in the distance (right).

photo.JPG

The video shows the Duke running along our North Wales Coast so you can understand my interest.  :sungum:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XE7cgsq9sIk

The photo and video above are on the Duke's website

http://71000dukeofgloucester.blogspot.co.uk/2012/07/steam-at-southall-duke-and-bittern.html

I see there are some Hornby models of the Duke around but have they produced the support coach?

Here endeth lunch time.

Polly

Edit: it all appeared twice!

Edited by southern42

• RMweb Gold

Another stable mate for Bittern. 

I like this for all that detail around the diesel fuelling point.

The brickwork is also on the floor inside the shed.

You can just see the the water tower and gasometer in the distance (right).

photo.JPG

The video shows the Duke running along our North Wales Coast so you can understand my interest.  :sungum:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XE7cgsq9sIk

The photo and video above are on the Duke's website

http://71000dukeofgloucester.blogspot.co.uk/2012/07/steam-at-southall-duke-and-bittern.html

I see there are some Hornby models of the Duke around but have they produced the support coach?

Here endeth lunch time.

Polly

Edit: it all appeared twice!

Is it me or should it really be leaking steam like that?  No, not out of the chimney, around the front wheels after the cocks have been closed.

I think there is a conversion to make a support coach in the same article about updating Britannia.  Have you seen that one or got it, if not let me know.

• RMweb Premium

Is it me or should it really be leaking steam like that?  No, not out of the chimney, around the front wheels after the cocks have been closed.

I think there is a conversion to make a support coach in the same article about updating Britannia.  Have you seen that one or got it, if not let me know.

I can't say I recollect seeing that sort of steam at that sort of speed.

The locos have been at the platform ready to move out. 

But I'm no expert on these matters.

Yes, I have the article. Some handy info in it.  There's also a useful Mk2 support coach web page: http://www.71000trust.com/update010410.html.

Not sure yet whether to add the Duke to the wishlist as it seems to have been around Southall in 2012 rather than 2011.  Decisions.

Polly

Hi Polly,

As you intend to show GWR then I most definitely would go for engines like the Duke. It is fairly unusual to see a preservation era main line loco shed so the ability to show people what might be their favourite main line loco on shed will be a bonus and a real crowd pleaser too I would think!

As long as there might be a couple of spots for a certain blue King and then a Mk 1 Castle in the future maybe?!

All the best,

Castle

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Polly,

As you intend to show GWR then I most definitely would go for engines like the Duke. It is fairly unusual to see a preservation era main line loco shed so the ability to show people what might be their favourite main line loco on shed will be a bonus and a real crowd pleaser too I would think!

As long as there might be a couple of spots for a certain blue King and then a Mk 1 Castle in the future maybe?!

All the best,

Castle

Santa's elves notified!

Edit - elves duly placed it on order.

Edited by southern42
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Weathered cement wagon for my branch line is getting it's first outing at the Prestatyn Charity Model Railway Exhibition 7 December 2013 10:30 to 16:30  (Today) though playing a static role in the goods bay while we concentrate on passenger and quayside trains. 

Knowing me, I shall probably be working out ideas for operating GWRd as the day goes on and the choreography takes shape.

Polly

• RMweb Premium

Great day at Prestatyn.  Six locos, three passenger trains and one goods (china clay)  kept us...er...hum...mostly Ray busy all day. Lots of shunting and runarounds with a pull-push shuttle service to keep things moving.

Although there were far more trains running on the layout than on a summer Saturday down in Cornwall, the sequence was slow enough to give an air of a rural branch line where even half a second seemed a long time to wait for the next train which arrived and departed at a brake neck speed of SLOW much like Great West Road will need to be.  The kick back quay with passing loop provided variety of movement and interest which I hope to incorporate into GWRd's yard.

Anyway, here is GWRd's Presflo cement wagon in the goods bay.

post-14049-0-40902500-1386453242.jpg

And here with the rest of the goods train. Next time out we'll get this operational as well as finish the goods shed..

post-14049-0-08651000-1386453260.jpg

A good learning day.

Polly

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I spotted Stationmaster's thread on the View New Content's page, today.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/66922-the-stationmaster-says-goodbye-to-steam-at-henley-on-thames/

What is of immediate interest is the carriage shunting and the locos heading home in twos - I knew they used to team up but didn't have any specific examples.

One thing the Brentford branch lacked, way before Nationalisation, were passenger trains but I was intending to remedy that on GWRd by incorporating something from other local branch lines - like the railcars.

The movement of locos at Henley-on-Thames is just the sort of thing I hoped I might discover somewhere ...and here it is...under my nose, all the time.

Brilliant stuff Mike.

See, you never know what might be useful to someone else.

Polly

Edited by southern42

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

It's about time I did an update.

I posted this pic page #15 [#356] showing these shunter's trucks on display at Barrow Hill Live but I've just noticed some nice looking LMS brake vans behind them. Also on page 118, Britain's Model Trains 2014 (Model Rail pub.)

post-14049-0-97364300-1387557956.jpg

I was given a donor for No. 9642 (32-207 Class 8750 No. 9761) for my birthday so now waiting for the brakes vans to materialise.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/blue-diesels/7690481364/in/photostream/

Photo when I get some lighting rigged up or the sun shines HO HO HO.  It didn't take too kindly to flash.

Polly

Ho Pol :no:

Shunters trucks look good but so do the Hornby ones, I have seen the Hornby ones in the local model shop and they as good as anything, I cant see why Bachmann has duplicated them.

I will need would like about 3 Ex LMS Brakes, I already have an old Hornby one but its rubbish so that may become BURNT OUT when the new Bachhy ones arrive.

All the best for Crimbo and don't give your Reindeer to much Wine. :nono: :nono:

Please pass on my best to Peter and Wendy if you do get over that way.

Andy :sungum:

Edited by Andrew P

• RMweb Premium

Ho Ho Andy,

We normally put a couple of mince pies out for Santa but I guess he must be on a diet cos he keeps leaving them behind. No wine - can't have him under the influence when in charge of a vehicle.  The Reindeer get carrots.  We're not sure if they'll be coming this year - the kids are doing they're own thing with son inviting us over for Christmas dinner - hmm, that'll be interesting.  :scratchhead:

I've got the depot shunter's truck - Hornby - and a Bachy one on order.

Best wishes for Christmas

Polly

• RMweb Premium

The Bachmann brake van is a Midland one, as per usual for them the same as a kit that Parkside already do. Depending on how late in BR Steam you are modelling sort of dictates how many you should think about having really, as not very many survived into the mid Sixties and even then, some (if not most) were used by the Engineering departments. The Hornby one is a much more common type that lasted quite a while after 1968, with BR continuing to build them after nationalisation. It is very basic and has horrible wheels but can be tarted up to look ok without too much effort; Romford wheels (or similar), cut off the moulded handrails and replace with wire ones, hack off the moulded on brake shoes and replace with ones from an old Parkside kit, etc. and you have a useful LMS brake van that whilst still not wonderful, does bear some resemblance to the real thing. Oh, and they can be picked up for a song too.

Once I am moved into the new place, I will pop up a photo of mine. There is one on Jeff's KL thread from when I visited, behind his 9F

• RMweb Premium

Thanks, Jason, though, since I can't tell an LMS brake from a BR one - yet, anyway - can you point out what the ones on the link below are - March 1963?  Presumably, BR built.  Were they common on Western Region lines or had they come in from elsewhere, bearing in mind this was a 'driver's special'?

http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/b/brentford_dock/index7.shtml

And this is the B E S T news: Nos. 93 and 92 destined for the Brentford branch line (?) HO HO HO :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

Bags first in line for tickets - please queue up behind me.

http://www.didcotrailwaycentre.org.uk/news/latest.html

Polly

Edited by southern42

• RMweb Premium

Hi Polly

It's like riding on an old LT London bus :D hope it doesn't get over loaded as the incline by the AEC works is quiet steep I could see it slipping saying that Castle will be on my case giving me ear ache :jester: , a new 28xx I bought a few weeks ago now has it's brass number plates 2858 lived at 81c regular every other day.

The plates for my Star came at the same time 4048 Princess Victoria (my daughters name) this is becoming costly sod the expence I say!!!.

When are we going to see something of your layout or are you like me strapped for time? BTW your hubby's one is looking rather nice.

Merry Xmas. :bye:

93 and 92 are a bit posh compared with those old London buses, methinks.  :yes:

I guess they used to provide a bus like service on the Brentford line in the good old days - way before I woz 'ere  :laugh:  - so I hope it'll be a case of "no sweat" for 93 and 92 in 2014, if it all goes ahead.

A couple of collages from last April at Llangollen - the scenery's a lot better, too.

post-14049-0-96668200-1387661286.jpg

post-14049-0-11972200-1387661307.jpg

Hoping the steam railmotor makes it down to 81C - and someone brings out the RTR version so I can run it on GWRd.

Ah...GWRd...because the main focus will now be on 1961/2011, I'm thinking of doing the BR shed but, as at Didcot, I would like to keep the coal ramp.  So I'm still playing around with different ideas.  I'll have to get back onto AnyRail again after Christmas.

So a Merry Christmas from us.

:drinks:

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Polly

nice picture of the steam rail motor... last time I was in it my mate Dave was attacking the driving ends with an axe as not everyone was convinced it was an ex steam railmotor... a couple of lusty blows et voila....cab windows!!

If you can't get an ex LM brake van let me know I may just know where there are a couple....

Barry

PS have a great Christmas and I suppose i will have to finish my Presflos!!

• RMweb Premium

Nice pictures Polly. I have one in Chocolate and Cream but its 0 gauge so not suitable for a visit to GWRd.

Merry Christmas

Don

Sounds like an Alice in Wonderland job. Drink me on the water tank.  :jester:  That might do the trick.  :nono:

post-14049-0-90446800-1387670741.jpg

Have a good Christmas, Don.

Polly

Hi Ray & Polly,

The Brentford Branch thing is really exciting isn't it? Let's hope it all comes together...

I hope that you both have a great Christmas and I hope we can meet up again in the new year!

All the best,

Castle