• RMweb Gold

Whilst on a photographic expedition to the South coast with an old work colleague (ca 1986) we visited Chichester.

post-6662-0-29201200-1342780594.jpg

post-6662-0-67572100-1342780598.jpg

He was explaining what the shunt signal was used for - a bang road move to Fishbourne Crossing and then down to ? Lavant ? - when, unbelievably it cleared !

post-6662-0-13729800-1342780603.jpg

because this was approaching

post-6662-0-07205500-1342780608.jpg

• RMweb Gold

What's that behind the 73?

Looks like the Drayton to Lavant aggregate working which was a booked duty for 73s.

The following link provides more information and a few videos of the working and route.

http://thebrightonmotivepowerdepots.yolasite.com/sussex-yards-and-sidings.php

• RMweb Premium

The secondary school I went to was right beside the junction at Fishbourne, and for my first couple of years a regular procession of these heavy freights passed by up the branch.

There were at least three of these workings per day, along with the freights along the main line; oil to Portfield, the Ardingly aggregates - that had a crew change at Chichester for a while with the class 56 booked to haul it occasionally failing at this point, clogging up three level crossings with its 36 hoppers - and the daily Three Bridges to Eastleigh engineers service, which normally provided a pair of 73s.

The Lavant hoppers were exceptionally heavy wagons, and were restricted to this route for day-to-day operations. When the service finished they loitered around at Drayton for a couple of years before being broken up.

Regular class 73s on the Lavant route when I was there were; 73004, 73101 (pre-pullman), 73110, 73111, 73117, 73134, 73140 and 73141 (although most of the class cropped up from time to time). 73140 was the most regular, especially in the last few months. I never saw a 33 on the service, although there a pictures of occasional incursions.

• RMweb Premium

The shunt signal (or APL if you prefer :mail: ) is still there. It controls access over that crossover and into the yard from where you can either go into the electrified siding (the former third road that ran paralell to the main running line and onto the Lavant branch, now truncated by the Chichester to Havant A27 bypass) which is used for reversing Chichester teminators, both scheduled and unscheduled. Off that road is a spur into a single siding now used for occasional aggregates use which sees Class 66's and the occasional 59 turn up now and then with tatty boxes full of old ballast and other minerals in tow.

Archived