Brewery diorama

Hello everyone,

I thought I'd show you the diorama I'm building for me to have a practice at scratch building and scenery things I haven't really done before.

P7190431.jpg

The building at the back will be a brewery and in the middle where the lorry is situated is a small yard. The canal boat is just a souvenir one from holiday and I took a hacksaw to the bottom of it to make it sit in the water. I'm just seeing how things fit on the board and just to get a general view of it. The ballast needs to be glued down which I think will be the next job. I'll have to think of a good name for it now.

Sam

Hi Sam,

Looks good. Building a small diorama is a good way of practicing and honing your modeling skills,

and I think you have enough going on in this scene to practice several techniques....

What will you use as a basis for the brewery building?

Will it be enrirely scratchbuilt, or kitbashed?

There are some great european industrial building kits,

made by the likes of kibri - which can be "anglicised"

Ballasting is always a chore, even in a small area - good luck with that ;)

Cheers

Marc

Guest Jim Read

Hello Sam,

You've made a good start, keep at it and keep taking pics and posting them here everytime you do something.

You may inspire someone else to do the same, seeing other peoples layouts did that for me.

Good luck - Jim

• 3 weeks later...

To reduce the amount of ballasting (agree - always a chore) and increase the number of different techniques you practice, why not make one of the sidings inlaid in cobbles or concrete?

Yes indeed,

Inlaid sidings seem to go hand-in-hand with breweries

And it's another nice technique to try out....

Don't forget to keep us posted with pics :)

Cheers

Arghh, not inlaid sidings.. I have happy(?) memories of hours spent scribing stone sets into plaster on a quite expansive area of New Haden Colliery.... and one of these days I might get round to finishing them! However there's plenty of options for buying pre etched card now so well worth trying.

Archived