Much Murkle - back on the road

nickwood

• RMweb Gold

Excellent article in BRM and Andy's photos are superb.My favourite shot is the pannier on a two coach train.What's the origin of these coaches please Nick ?

Edited by gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

Thanks to everyone for the likes and comments

Excellent article in BRM and Andy's photos are superb.My favourite shot is the pannier on a two coach train.What's the origin of these coaches please Nick ?

Rob, sorry I've been very busy since NewYear and I've nbeen a bit tardy looking in. Both coaches are Wheeltapper kits (formerly PC models) with printed sides. One is a toplight brake third and the other is a double ended slip. The ends and underframes are excellent and so long as you don't look too close at the sides they look ok. I can't help thinking that if they had been produced with decent plastic or brass sides they would have been still around. Having siad that the printing is pretty good and gives a much better finish than most folk would manage with paint.

Cheers

Nick -I have just got the Feb issue of BRM here in NZ and the layout article is superb. You can be well proud of the results shown in here and in the magazine. Great example of uncomplicated modelling that captures character really well There are so many ideas for modelling scenes on this layout which assist us mere mortals to try harder as we potter along.

Andy R

• 5 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Much Murkle has two outings coming up in quick succession.

Kenavon Railway Society in Reading on Saturday 21st Feb 10am - 5pm at The Warehouse, 1A Cumberland Road, Reading RG1 3LB. The show is in aid of the Cholsey and Wallingford Railway

Abrail, Abingdon MRC Exhibition on Saturday 28th Feb 10am - 5pm at the White Horse Leisure Centre, Abingdon, OX1 3PJ.

Hope to see some of you at one or other of these events.

According to Google maps the White Horse Leisure Centre is at

Audlett Drive
Abingdon, Oxfordshire OX14 3PJ
United Kingdom

The post code in the previous post would appear to put you in the centre of Oxford. Hope this correction is okay, would definitely like to see the layout if I can get there.

Hi Nick, smashing layout you've built yourself here - very much enjoyed seeing it in the magazine after following it on here for some time (I'm one of the silent watching types....).  On the subject of your backscenes, have you thought about using photographic ones?  I was dubious until a few weeks ago when I saw some in use at the club I've just joined and if they're blended in right they can really add depth to the scene.  Keeping the bubbles out is still a problem though!

On other topics, I really like your lighting rig & I'm considering 'borrowing' (OK stealing...) the design for my own mid-50s GWR BLT based in West Somerset.  I reckon that I just about get how it all fits together, but is there any chance of a bit more explanation on how it is assembled please?  I presume it's something like uprights>brackets>fronts>rear carriers>sides but I'm just not sure.  Some photos of the rear bearers unattached would be useful too; I know it's a pain to ask this but as I work weekends at the moment there's only a small chance I'll actually be able to come and see MM in the flesh.

Once again thanks for creating and showing off an inspirational piece of modelling!

Ben

Ben, Nick is a busy fellow and currently with business at the present time. So I don't think he will mind me mentioning that you are likely to find, I think, that earlier in his thread he gave some detail about his lighting rig, for he is very good about things like that.

So I'm pretty sure you will find the answers in his earlier posts.

I've been following this layout thread for some time and first of all must congratulate you on an excellent layout!

My main reason for posting today though, and I apologise if someone has already pointed this particular model out to you, is because I saw this http://www.burnhamanddmrc.org/100_2392.JPG and immediately thought of your layout!

Simple* change of an 'a' to a 'u'?

(*not for me I hasten to add!)

• RMweb Gold

According to Google maps the White Horse Leisure Centre is at

Audlett Drive
Abingdon, Oxfordshire OX14 3PJ
United Kingdom

The post code in the previous post would appear to put you in the centre of Oxford. Hope this correction is okay, would definitely like to see the layout if I can get there.

Thanks for correcting my typo. I hope you can make it and please make yourself known if you do.

Very happy to have seen this one today.. Managed a quick hello, while my daughter was looking at the cows and sheep. Lovely model ☺

Thanks and I remember the chat.

Hi Nick, smashing layout you've built yourself here - very much enjoyed seeing it in the magazine after following it on here for some time (I'm one of the silent watching types....).  On the subject of your backscenes, have you thought about using photographic ones?  I was dubious until a few weeks ago when I saw some in use at the club I've just joined and if they're blended in right they can really add depth to the scene.  Keeping the bubbles out is still a problem though!

On other topics, I really like your lighting rig & I'm considering 'borrowing' (OK stealing...) the design for my own mid-50s GWR BLT based in West Somerset.  I reckon that I just about get how it all fits together, but is there any chance of a bit more explanation on how it is assembled please?  I presume it's something like uprights>brackets>fronts>rear carriers>sides but I'm just not sure.  Some photos of the rear bearers unattached would be useful too; I know it's a pain to ask this but as I work weekends at the moment there's only a small chance I'll actually be able to come and see MM in the flesh.

Once again thanks for creating and showing off an inspirational piece of modelling!

Ben

Thanks Ben. If you go back to page 3 post 72 onwards you should find all the details you need. If you want anymore info then let me know and I'll see what I can do,

Ben, Nick is a busy fellow and currently with business at the present time. So I don't think he will mind me mentioning that you are likely to find, I think, that earlier in his thread he gave some detail about his lighting rig, for he is very good about things like that.

So I'm pretty sure you will find the answers in his earlier posts.

John, many thanks for stepping in, in my absense. I certainly don't mind you doing so and I think it is favour returned (not that I'm counting!)

I've been following this layout thread for some time and first of all must congratulate you on an excellent layout!

My main reason for posting today though, and I apologise if someone has already pointed this particular model out to you, is because I saw this http://www.burnhamanddmrc.org/100_2392.JPG and immediately thought of your layout!

Simple* change of an 'a' to a 'u'?

(*not for me I hasten to add!)

I have seen this wagon before and it is tempting. The main thing that has stopped me so far is that Much Murkle's cider company is called Rancoutt's not Weston's. For the same reason that I didn't want to use Much Marcle as the name of the layout I didn't want to use Weston's Cider either. Having said that a rake of these would look nice with the corrections to the decals.  The colour of the tanker is the same as that I chose for Rancoutt's so that works. The other problem is that there is no facility in the plant for loading tankers although that could probably easily be achieved with a bit of strategically placed pipework. Food for thought.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

All set up ready for the 'off' at Abrail in the morning. I have left MM with a problem on one of the points that I will need to explore in the morning. It isn't throwing properly for some reason, possibly a bit of dislodged ballast but I ran out of time to sort it tonight. Hopefully that's al it is or something else that is a simple fix otherwise the punters might find it entertaining watching me trying to do some upside down soldering !!

Edited by nickwood

Hi Nick,

The main thing I haven't got from your previous posts is how the wooden bars holding the strip lights at the back of the assembly go together; any quick snaps you can takw while sorting out your errant point will be much appreciated.  Hope you get that problemette sorted by the way, would be a shame to greet the punters with smoke and swearing!

Ben

Hi Nick

It was good to meet you today at the Abingdon show. It's the first time I've been to Abingdon and I was impressed with the quality of the show. Much Murkle looks even better in the flesh and you can be extremely proud of your first foray into exhibtion layouts. I hope you managed to solve the turnout problem after your emergency rubber band fix. Anyway here are some of the pictures I took this morning, hope you like them.

post-8259-0-77607600-1425164079_thumb.jpg

post-8259-0-26629700-1425164080_thumb.jpg

post-8259-0-94090700-1425164080_thumb.jpg

post-8259-0-67442200-1425164081_thumb.jpg

post-8259-0-33757700-1425164082_thumb.jpg

post-8259-0-87187400-1425164082_thumb.jpg

post-8259-0-63284000-1425164083_thumb.jpg

post-8259-0-37320500-1425164084_thumb.jpg

post-8259-0-05726500-1425164085_thumb.jpg

post-8259-0-29850200-1425164086_thumb.jpg

post-8259-0-50626500-1425164209_thumb.jpg

post-8259-0-16205600-1425164210_thumb.jpg

post-8259-0-73084700-1425164210_thumb.jpg

post-8259-0-23414300-1425164211_thumb.jpg

post-8259-0-75343000-1425164211_thumb.jpg

post-8259-0-19062400-1425164212_thumb.jpg

post-8259-0-46344300-1425165187_thumb.jpg

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

Andy

Thanks for making yourself known and it was good to have a chat. Also thanks for posting the pictures but I would just like to add, that is not my neck in the 6th one down !!!!

Regarding the problem with the point, after a lot of poking, prodding and cleaning we decided it had to be the point motor at fault. The problem was that it is in a very awkward location under the baseboard which would mean the baseboard would have to come out to get at it safely. As it is the central baseboard this would have meant effectively taking down half of the layout which we really didn't have time for. We decided to switch the point out so that we could use the running line but not the Cattle dock road. On testing this we found that for some reason the switch blade on the same point now wasn't making contact when the road was set down the main running line into the platform. We solved this by using a rubber band attached on the point motor so that it pulled the pin and hence the switch blade across tight. This bodge worked well all day thank goodness. Thankfully the rest of the layout ran well and no-one noticed that the wagons in the cattle dock didn't move all day.

Abingdon is a great one-day show that is very busy. I had a lot of interest from Exhibition Scouts and ran out of my flyers that I give out. 2016 & 2017 are already looking busy with invites but I don't have another show now until October. A nice long break to do some maintenance and a bit of a freshen up in places. I also have a couple of ideas to improve the presentation, but more of that some other time.

• RMweb Gold

A great layout that has come at the right time for me while I am looking for for a GWR branchlines. The weird thing is this thread has been around since 2012 and i only came across tonight.

Hi Coachman. Thank you and I'm very pleased to have you amongst the band of followers.

Hi Nick,

The main thing I haven't got from your previous posts is how the wooden bars holding the strip lights at the back of the assembly go together; any quick snaps you can takw while sorting out your errant point will be much appreciated.  Hope you get that problemette sorted by the way, would be a shame to greet the punters with smoke and swearing!

Ben

Hi Ben Sorry I didn't see your post until after the show and the layout was dismantled otherwise I would have taken some shots for you. I'm not sure when I will have the time to re-erect the layout so I will see what I can mock up to photograph and show you how the lighting strips are constructed.  Hopefully I'll find time to do it in the next day or so.

• RMweb Gold

I had a bit of spare time today so I decided to tackle the problem point. I removed both the motor and the over centre spring. When I examined them both they seemed to be ok but just to be on the safe side I changed them both. Everything is now back to normal so I'm not sure which was the problem but I now suspect it was a weak spring rather than the point motor. 

As the springs are fairly easy to change and all the points are getting on a bit I've asked Peco for enough replacements to change the lot.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Nick,

Ben

Hi Ben

If you look at post 82 on page 4 these are as good a shots as I think I could take to show how the lighting clips over the supports.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/58847-much-murkle/page-4

Each bar is made of a 2 strips of softwood 32 x 11 for the top and 65 x 18 for the back. The length of the top is such that it extends beyond the support it sits on and the back is cut to be slightly shorter than the distance between the two supports. There is no reason for these sizes of the softwood except they were wide/deep enough to protect the light fittings in transit and I just happened to have these sizes in stock at the time. You can see in one of the photos how a small block has been attached to sit in between the inner and outer faces of the support. You could make the top strip longer and fit the block so that it locates on the outside of the support. This particular bar was extended (very roughly) to mount a magnetic catch to hold the end fascia.

Hope this helps

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Nick, that's much clearer now; I hadn't realised that the softwood rested over the top of the brackets and kept looking for your more complicated solution!  Great piece of work, really nicely made and a great example of K.I.S.S. in action - with permission I'll probably be pinching the idea ;).  Looking at the videos from earlier the lighting seems to be doing its job pretty well.

Many thanks once again,

B

Nick -the videos of your great layout are just fantastic and I really enjoyed seeing them. It lead to another one video done by someone else on u tube which was also showing faultless running.

From what I see on the screen the automatic coupling/ decoupling works really well. Can you remind us what system you are using please Nick? (or it may be in earlier posts?). What type of magnets are used under the track, and were they inserted before or after track laying?

I would love to have my layout operations work like this does. It is a true reflection of your skill as a model craftsman.

thanks, Andy R

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Nick, that's much clearer now; I hadn't realised that the softwood rested over the top of the brackets and kept looking for your more complicated solution!  Great piece of work, really nicely made and a great example of K.I.S.S. in action - with permission I'll probably be pinching the idea ;).  Looking at the videos from earlier the lighting seems to be doing its job pretty well.

Many thanks once again,

B

Ben, feel free to pinch the idea. Pleased to be of help.

Nick -the videos of your great layout are just fantastic and I really enjoyed seeing them. It lead to another one video done by someone else on u tube which was also showing faultless running.

From what I see on the screen the automatic coupling/ decoupling works really well. Can you remind us what system you are using please Nick? (or it may be in earlier posts?). What type of magnets are used under the track, and were they inserted before or after track laying?

I would love to have my layout operations work like this does. It is a true reflection of your skill as a model craftsman.

thanks, Andy R

Hi Andy. The couplings are DG from Wizard Models using electromagnets also supplied by Wizard. The magnets were installed before ballasting the track but could with care be installed retrospectively. They just need a hole drilled from underneath. I can't remember the size but it is about the same diameter as the sleepers are apart on Peco track.

Thanks for the comments on the operations. There is nothing particularly special in my approach apart from all rolling stock has been rewheeled with Alan Gibson wheel sets and the track and wheels (particularly loco wheels) are kept very clean. All my locos have standard RTR mechanisms. I might also add that I use an old KPC handheld controller (sadly no longer available) that does perhaps give finer control and slightly slower running that the Gaugemaster W that I keep in reserve, but it is also very good.

• Like 3

Nick -thanks for the detailed reply which is much appreciated. I feel that the topic of getting good operation and particularly how consistent auto coupling is achieved on layouts is underdone in the model press. But, I have yet to search these forums on the topic so that may draw further info.

In the meantime I will enjoy learning from your layout- its a gem

Andy R

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I have to agree with Andy.. We here so often about the scenery, but nothing detailed about operation. It a missing part of the magazine articles. I personally love reading about people using cards, how they form their trains and of course couplings and their use.