Grantham - the Streamliner years

LNER4479

And now for something slightly different...

What you are about to see is the closest Grantham is ever going to get to 'modern image'. I can feel one or two eyes getting misted up already.

post-16151-0-42897000-1418425498_thumb.jpg

Take a piece of brass channel, cut a small length off the end and create a tab at the end.

post-16151-0-44471800-1418425514_thumb.jpg

Solder up into a box and prepare a length of brass rod

post-16151-0-26731900-1418425542_thumb.jpg

Attach and prepare a lozenge shape from a piece of scrap brass etch

post-16151-0-77749300-1418425557_thumb.jpg

Attach. Can you tell what it's going to be yet?

post-16151-0-71317100-1418425619_thumb.jpg

Cut two lengths of brass tube, slice a diagonal cut, shape and attach to head

post-16151-0-03384500-1418425655_thumb.jpg

I think this gives the game away. My impression of a four aspect 'searchlight' signal

post-16151-0-43668600-1418425690_thumb.jpg

Fit a shaped piece of 'next-size-up' tube plus washer to create the base.

post-16151-0-39798700-1418425753_thumb.jpg

Practically anything to hand will do to support the job for a solder joint - the 'D' plate gets attached (thanks to LNERGE for identifying this appendage)

post-16151-0-60461700-1418425784_thumb.jpg

The ladder completes the assembly.

As discussed some pages ago (page 54 to be exact!), this is the replacement colour light signal that was installed at the entrance to Peascliffe tunnel. It will be depicted as per the 1937 pic of the Coronation emerging from the tunnel, ie with both it and the somersault that it is about to replace in the scene. This means that the head will be covered over pending commissioning hence no need to worry about the actual colour light aspects or any further details. 

If I get my act together over the weekend, it might even be 'planted' for real on Monday evening.

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 13

Super job there. Here is a drawing for a four aspect saerchlight..

post-4034-0-17941600-1418464657_thumb.jpg

I provided one of this type for use as Loughborough Central's down main outer distant where it can be seen today.

I suspect the one you are modelling is a Metropolitan Vickers GRS style. Some good pictures here of the one i provided for Swithland Sidings up main distant...

http://forum.signalbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3540&start=30

Note it is on a concrete base and the style of the ladder top. I don't think i have ever seen one planted directly in the ground.

Edit to add..

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/35379-single-aspect-two-colour-light-signals/

Post 21

I have 'modelled' the base on the searchlights i've got. I'm sure the LNER drawing for the concrete base is on the forum somewhere but a quick search didn't find it. I can dig it out again if required.

Edit again...

The drawing for the base is on page 54. It covers MetVGRS/WB&SCo/SGE bases.

Edited by LNERGE
  • Like 1

Is that an MV-GRS base casting at Swithland - it doesn't look quite the same as the MV-GRS ones which were used on the Western.

The symbol can be seen on the door in the rear view. (He types confidently after rushing outside to check the ones i have in the back garden)

Respect.

I did have a slight niggle that not having it working was a bit lightweight - then it occurred to me.  If Barry wants to run diesels, it would have been commissioned by then - so get him to make it operative and he can just pop the bag off for the last hour on Sundays at shows.

Simples.

• Like 1

Respect.

I did have a slight niggle that not having it working was a bit lightweight - then it occurred to me.  If Barry wants to run diesels, it would have been commissioned by then - so get him to make it operative and he can just pop the bag off for the last hour on Sundays at shows.

Simples.

It is a lovely looking signal shame it's not going to work. <g>

• RMweb Premium

Respect.

Simples.

Well

that is a challenge but.... wait and see!!!

Baz

Note it is on a concrete base .... I don't think i have ever seen one planted directly in the ground.

You mean one of these?

post-16151-0-55913300-1418593034_thumb.jpg

No need to worry, it was already 'in hand', following your earlier helpful postings on page 54. This is a piece of 6mm MDF, cut 8mm square (slightly undersize but my cess is only the minimum 3foot wide!). I've soaked this item in dilute PVA in an attempt to stop it flaking apart.

post-16151-0-36836300-1418593074_thumb.jpg

Painted a very light grey and attached to the signal (also now painted).

post-16151-0-23186800-1418593090_thumb.jpg

This is therefore its official 'portrait'. You know what's coming next... :butcher:

post-16151-0-67474500-1418593107_thumb.jpg

See - I told you that's as far as we're getting to 'modern image'! The signal has been 'hooded' over (as per the prototype picture). This was achieved by soaking a piece of paper tissue in a cocktail of dilute PVA and black poster paint to create a miniature tarpaulin.

All being well, it should be planted by this time tomorrow night... and we can scurry back to more traditional technology :jester:

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Beautiful. The base should be tapered but who's going to notice? Only me perhaps? Don't let anyone tell there should be a fireman's call plunger nearby. All i'd expect to see is a telephone cupboard like the one on the right in this shot perhaps..

https://www.flickr.com/photos/12a_kingmoor_klickr/6073969661/in/faves-32297024@N08/

Maybe that hasn't been installed yet?

• RMweb Gold

See - I told you that's as far as we're getting to 'modern image'! The signal has been 'hooded' over (as per the prototype picture). This was achieved by soaking a piece of paper tissue in a cocktail of dilute PVA and black poster paint to create a miniature tarpaulin.

I do like the signal... a lot. But, that tarpaulin is a superb bit of modelling, together with the rope tied around it. Could you tell me what you used for the rope. And, when you say paper tissue, did you mean the sort that's used to wrap gifts, the sort for blowing your nose, or the sort for other activities? I'm going to have to steal the idea to put a tarpaulin over something, even though I don't have any signals to cover!

Kind regards, Neil

I love the signal, I love the tarpaulin, but I'm baffled (it's easily done!). If the original plan was to model the signal hooded, why go to all the length of making the head etc. when you're going to cover it over.

With all the work you've done to make the head, wouldn't it be better to leave it uncovered? OK, not as the prototype possibly, but punters at an exhibition who don't know what's under the tarpaulin will be missing out on a damn fine piece of modelling.

Phil

Many thanks guys.

Neil - the tarpaulin is made from a piece of nose-blowing tissue (man size, of course!) I was going to use toilet roll but it seemed too light n fluffy and would probably have just disintegrated when the water touched it. I then realised that the man tissue stuff was about the right consistency and thickness, although when I cut out the rectangle (40mm square) I discovered it was four-ply. So I just held the cut piece together with tweezers whilst I dunked it into the PVA mix. Once wet then it stayed together. In fact, I actually removed one of the ply sheets as it had crumpled up a bit too much. I 'blotted' the thing on a piece of kitchen roll first to get rid of the excess liquid. The 'rope' is no more that a piece of black cotton thread which I simply tied round the back with a double (reef) knot then snipped the ends off. As the photo is larger-than-life size then it looks bigger than it really is.

Phil - I felt I had to make something to wrap the cover round! It wasn't too much work and the way the tarpaulin hangs is meant to give some hint as to the shape beneath. Tricky, as gravity doesn't scale down too well in OO. On the prototype picture I worked off the shape of the head and the lens hoods are quite obvious.

Edit to add: In part answer to the point about the punters not appreciating / realising about the colour light, I am proposing to have some information boards, down the south end of the layout. One of these will highlight the chastened financial times of the 1930's. This will include reference to the 1935 Railways (Agreement) Act providing funding for capital improvement schemes (effectively the first time the railways in this country were 'subsidised'). According to information to hand, the LNER spent theirs on – amongst other things - the installation of colour light signalling schemes (most notably York-Darlington). Would I be right in assuming therefore that the otherwise modest Grantham North-to-Barkston colour light installation was so funded? Be good if it was(!) as this little cameo on the model thereby illustrates a little bit of railway history. Anybody know for sure?

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 3

With the hooded up signal ready for delivery to site, here's a little insight into the scenic activities going on at Ormesby at the moment...

post-16151-0-22478300-1418682921_thumb.jpg

The 'Peascliffe Tunnel Board' has been set up in the spare room over the winter so it can be worked on by the scenic-meister.

post-16151-0-59424300-1418682965_thumb.jpg

Talking of whom, here is the man himself, in typical repose (ie with a cup of tea in hand), surrounded by model railway scenic paraphernalia . In fact he is actually watching paint dry...

post-16151-0-32743900-1418682992_thumb.jpg

...yes really! This is the little culvert / beck (what exactly shall we call it?) which has had its 'bed' prepared and now having endless coats of varnish added to build up the layers. This could take a while. Note the little culvert tunnel mouth, ready to be installed in the embankment side.

post-16151-0-45159800-1418683061_thumb.jpg

Meanwhile, the S&T have attended site and ta-daa! Sorry it's a little fuzzy but I hope you can see the intended scene starting to emerge.

post-16151-0-48895500-1418683102_thumb.jpg

This should give a better overall view of what's going on. My main job of the evening, apart from 'planting' the signal was to install the drainage channel that is quite noticeable in the photos of the era. It appears to be in the form of an open troughing sort of arrangement, with little cross pieces at regular intervals (that's next time's job!). I've also added the first scatter of cess earth / ashes mix down that side and also the centre ballast strip to try and create the neat, well-maintained track-bed look. Plenty more to do but nevertheless an encouraging view at this stage.

post-16151-0-31008000-1418683181_thumb.jpg

Finally, any of you Grantham locals recognise this? Thought not(!) This is the Blue Bull pub, as we reckon it might have looked in the 1930's (Paul found an old photograph). One of the main visual differences being the plain brick walls (today it has a white rendered finish). And just look at them chimney pots! Once again, plenty more to do but this looks to be another fine piece of architectural modelling in the making by Paul.

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 16

Paul makes extensive use of Scalescenes download-able prints (other brands no doubt available). It sounds a bit disparaging to refer to the concept of '3 foot away modelling' but you get my drift. Certainly, at an exhibition, both the Blue Bull pub and the warehouse will be at least 3 feet inside the barrier.

We are all agreed however that Paul's structural modelling is a lot better than that and it stands up to scrutiny from 3 inches away, never mind 3 feet! I love the chequered floor inside the entrance to the pub. A nonchalant detail but so effective.

attachicon.gifIMG_2624.JPG

...yes really! This is the little culvert / beck (what exactly shall we call it?) which has had its 'bed' prepared and now having endless coats of varnish added to build up the layers. This could take a while. Note the little culvert tunnel mouth, ready to be installed in the embankment side.

'Tis the Barrowby Stream, sir - or 'twas in 1965 when this was published:

post-16222-0-37543700-1418760079_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

The Barrowby Stream is the name of the one nearest the cattle market location. It used to pass under the ECML under a normal arched bridge which is now filled in. For some unknown reason, my father always refered to it as the Midland bridge? The stream is now piped under the embankment and underground all the way to Wyndham Park, the other side of town.

There is another stream nearer to the tunnel, that comes down from Great Gonerby and passes under the ECML in a brick culvert, but it's name escapes me at the moment.

The Blue Bull looks great. Perhaps the real one needs a retro restoration to match.

Paul 4475

p.s. I've not forgotten the request for a Mountain update. The study is full of seasonal celebration stuff, so a little difficult to work or photograph at moment. Something for the evening of the 25th perhaps, whilst everyone is snoozing on the sofa!