Grantham - the Streamliner years

LNER4479

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Phil,

It wasn't for me to say but, now that you've highlighted it, I'm quite pleased with the effect in that shot myself. In the traditional steam era (different approach these days!) there often seemed to be a clear demarcation between the main running lines, secondary lines / sidings and the area between and to the side (10 foot and cess respectively). I like to think that the photo above is getting some way close to representing that.

Incidentally, Coach - if you're looking in - what you're looking at here is the non-foam tracks laid on 3mm cork, which is placed up alongside the foam. With the Peco laid on this (and then ballasted in the traditional way), the height differential is minimal - if anything, the relief lines / sidings are slightly lower that the tracks in the foam which is how it should be.

True trooper as he is, Baz is here now as I type, working on the untreated length of track (the Up Relief) that the K2 is stood standing on:

attachicon.gifIMG_5937.JPG

Nearly all ballasting complete.

You may notice on the other photos trains are visible but no operators. This was a new operational approach .. while photo were being taken the operators were drinking tea!

Baz

• Like 2

If it looked great before it looks completely real now. All the winter work has proven so worthwhile. I think that only really the station buildings and the engine shed are left as bigger projects, and when completed the layout will surely be as good as Pendon if not better, for this is a model of an actual place.

To see trains running on it now, and they are quality models as well, it is all so life-like. It is well worth seeing at any of the booked exhibitions. I would go, but I am in the middle of moving house, so can do little at the moment, but the photo's you post here help to make up for that, so please keep them coming.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Thanks Rob for this and other kind comments you have posted.

To the 'bigger projects' list, add the Rustons building down the south end, as that is only a mock-up at the moment. I'm hopeful Paul B will be willing to tackle that in due course; the 'old' shed building is on my 'to do' list for 2016 (once Nottingham has been and gone) and work is currently progressing on the station canopies, which is the main unfinished eyesore for the station itself (roofs and chimneys are actually more prominent than the buildings themselves in the main!). Hopefully we should be there or thereabouts by Warley.

Sorry that domestic priorities see you confined to barracks at the moment but, not only are there further shows later this year, we also have a more-or-less full diary (subject to confirmation) for 2017 & 2018 so hopefully there will be future opportunities for you.

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 1

This is absolutely fantastic.

Inspirational is a term used too often these days, but in this case, it's true. Seeing a coronation running on these pages inspired me to build my own. The jubilee looks great too. All the hard work that you've put in, is clear to see, and I really hope one day to see Grantham in the flesh. In the mean time, please keep the pictures coming!

'Enry the 'Oover was brought into play last night as a result of which half a jar of the cinders-earth witches brew was recovered.

What was left was top hole ballasting all round and the errant pink stretch* duly eliminated - you've got the job :jester:

(*bet that provokes a few fnarr-fnarrs)

A question posed elsewhere on this forum a while ago for Barry on your thread if you don't mind Graham...?

I don't believe for a minute it's a punishment task as your post suggested, but ballasting, enjoyable therapeutic thinking time for Gentlemen with much on their mind...or a necessary but repetitively mind numbing task?

Personally I've found myself in either camp at any one time. Though the longer mainlines have "fat" ballast, not the fine grain stuff!

C6T.

• RMweb Premium

Fat ballast eh? is that the Gran ate too much variety (see wot I dun there?) Boom boom.

(P.S. Baz didn't tell me to say that.)  

'Enry the 'Oover was brought into play last night as a result of which half a jar of the cinders-earth witches brew was recovered.

What was left was top hole ballasting all round and the errant pink stretch* duly eliminated - you've got the job :jester:

Did you use the sock up the tube method?

P

• RMweb Premium

A question posed elsewhere on this forum a while ago for Barry on your thread if you don't mind Graham...?

I don't believe for a minute it's a punishment task as your post suggested, but ballasting, enjoyable therapeutic thinking time for Gentlemen with much on their mind...or a necessary but repetitively mind numbing task?

Personally I've found myself in either camp at any one time. Though the longer mainlines have "fat" ballast, not the fine grain stuff!

C6T.

I don't mind ballasting - especially with Code 100 and fat sleepers. Now if it was SMP or C&L with thin sleepers - that would need more concentration..bit less enjoyable but it woudl still need to be done.

Baz

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

obviously Mr K hasn't visited this thread tonight.. yet!

C6T.

I have done some of it myself (before Barry wrenched the diluted PVA from me!) I found it manageable in bite-sized chunks, say about 2-3 feet per session. After that, I had to go and do something else and return to it the next day.

But Barry seems to be able to keep going all day - wot a trooper!

It is worth it though when you end up with a picture like that at the top of this page (#2876).

Edited by LNER4479

• RMweb Premium

I don't mind ballasting - especially with Code 100 and fat sleepers. Now if it was SMP or C&L with thin sleepers - that would need more concentration..bit less enjoyable but it woudl still need to be done.

Baz

January 2018...

Fat ballast eh? is that the Gran ate too much variety (see wot I dun there?) Boom boom.

(P.S. Baz didn't tell me to say that.)  

Did you use the sock up the tube method?

P

Tres amusant :jester:

Yep! sock (stocking actually) over the end of the tube. It got sucked up itself once in a momentary lack of concentration. Took more fishing out of the bag than I was expecting!

Are there really those who do not recycle ballast and other overspill or offcut materials? If so, they've clearly got too much money. I have always made fullest use of the materials I have available. I suppose that apart from making me a penny pincher, it also makes me by default a passive environmentalist. I've never hugged a tree of course.....

• Like 1

Are there really those who do not recycle ballast and other overspill or offcut materials? If so, they've clearly got too much money. I have always made fullest use of the materials I have available. I suppose that apart from making me a penny pincher, it also makes me by default a passive environmentalist. I've never hugged a tree of course.....

Until you've tried it you won't know what your missing, as a work colleague of mine once said about his sexual orientation.   . :scratchhead:  :nono:  :nono: