Grantham - the Streamliner years

LNER4479

'Nother update - but a bit 'more of the same' this time. Sometimes you do a lot but it doesn't seem like much...

post-16151-0-80867900-1433275907_thumb.jpg

Work on the backscenes wasn't quite finished when I posted last time. There was an annoying gap at the north end which required some interaction between backscene and associated scenery base. Here the base for the roadbed of the station approach road is being prepared.

post-16151-0-93559100-1433275949_thumb.jpg

And here is the backscene gap plugged. This (curved) piece (behind the houses) is removable, together with the board the two houses are sat on. These houses were built years ago (well it seems like it!); nice to be finally getting them fixed into position. In the space now created behind, I can't resist trying a bit of half relief and depicting part of a workshop yard (visible in one of the 1927 aerial photos) with the business name painted on the roof in bold letters: 'BELVOIR BABY CARRIAGES'(!)

post-16151-0-55950800-1433276013_thumb.jpg

A try at a viewpoint from a lower angle, showing how this should add to the suggestion of the town in this area.

post-16151-0-68907900-1433276053_thumb.jpg

Meanwhile, found this pack in the 'scenery' draw and had a strange urge to fire up the Antex...

post-16151-0-85550400-1433276089_thumb.jpg

And after an evening of rather delicate soldering... These are really small in truth! The trolley (left) is made up from 15 separate pieces. Wheel hubs - I ask you?!!

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 17

All looking very good! I'm familiar of late with that feeling of doing a lot but not seeing much obvious gain for the effort, as I commented over on "another channel" catering specifically for LNER interests. The moguls are coming along anyway....

post-3445-0-28780500-1433283864.jpg

We'll have to discuss a suitable number for your K2.

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

I know what you mean Graeme. Your moguls are looking lovely up there. I'll have a look over on the other side of the fence to see what else you're up to.

All looking very good! I'm familiar of late with that feeling of doing a lot but not seeing much obvious gain for the effort, as I commented over on "another channel" catering specifically for LNER interests. The moguls are coming along anyway....

attachicon.gifSTA80087.JPG

We'll have to discuss a suitable number for your K2.

Thanks 3279 - have already 'tuned in' to the other channel.

Happy to be advised accordingly re K2 number :)

Re foam underlay inserts, I've been told Peco are stopping manufacturing it all. Shame.

Yes, I heard a rumour to the same effect. Better buy a 'job lot' whilst I still can (might make them change their mind!!!)

• Like 1

I decided to relay the track on my photo diorama this afternoon to make use of some redundant Peco and sponge inlay. The removed track was bought secondhand from an exhibition coach when the layout was being dismantled. The diorama has been in use now for some 25 years, but it was only today i noticed the track inlay was expanded polystyrene. Now that stuff has really lasted and i wondered why I never come across it on layouts.

Edited by coachmann

• RMweb Premium

I doubt that anything would, no matter what the topic might be. My impression is that P Co always considers that P Co knows best.

A recollection of correspondence with Peco many years ago.

1] Peco Simplex couplings became unavailable via the retail trade.

2] I phoned Peco, to be told that the press tool was worn out, and no more would be produced under any circumstances.

3] I wrote to the model railway press, conveying the information in 2] above, and requesting info. from readers if they knew of a retail source.

4] Next month .....

5] Letter from Peco in the model press, to the effect that my information (received from Peco) was premature, and that the press tool would be refurbished and new supplies shortly forthcoming.

6] Satisfactory result for me, but slightly sour taste left in mouth !!!

As implied above, God and Peco are infallible !!!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Edited by cctransuk
  • Like 1

I think you could do with a trio of J6's in time for the Grantham show

Cleckheaton gossip.....

It seems to have taken forever to get this far, but the K2s are almost in the bag now, fully dressed with handrails, guard irons, cab interiors, converted outside motion, whistles (such as I have), couplings and nice new brass cylinder wrappers with fine bolt heads. Rear coal plates and a coal load in the tenders, a cab fall plate each and finally the vulnerable front vacuum pipes will complete the exteriors ready for a final visit to the paintshop. I may get around to adding weight in the sides of the boilers and a bit in each tender, bearing down in part on the rear of the loco. In one case I've modified the pony truck beyond a simple increase in length to bring the wheels forward, substituting probably better looking Gibson wheels for which I've had to introduce a new brass bearing tube for the axle and create some pick-up wipers to maintain smooth electrical contact over uneven track. I'll see how the one loco thus modified performs before thinking about altering any others.

post-3445-0-10623100-1433882374_thumb.jpg

• Like 15

Got to say if the rumoured J6  looks as good as the outer two K2's then they will be worth waiting for. No only 3 don't panic Four with a J11. Now I show some of my ignorance regarding the middle K2, no outside steam pipes to the cylinders yet as it is unfinished or a similar arrangement to Sir's V2 of a much later date with the infamous Casting supplying the cylinders?

I am worried Robert might need the B2B's checking for Grantham Show :jester: 

Regards,Derek

87 Days, 1 hour and 15 minutes and counting.  No Pressure intended guys.

• Like 1

I think the earliest K2s (and those reboilered from K1s?) had inside steam pipes and the later ones, possibly those built by outside contractors, had the outside ones. No doubt there are endless exceptions and someone with the green books to hand will correct me. Basically, though, there were both types.

Thank heavens for those 15 minutes, they could make all the difference.

Count the lubricators too.

According to the Holy Green Book, the first batches of K2s, with mechanical lubricators for both axleboxes and piston valves/cylinders did not get good results for the latter. On later batches, sight feed lubricators were used for the cylinder lubrication combined with a redesigned outside route for the steam pipe so that the oil could conveniently enter the pipe high enough up to mix thoroughly with the steam before reaching the valves, rather than being injected direct into the valve chests as on the first K2s. The earlier versions were slowly altered to the later configuration. I get the impression that mechanical lubricators for cylinders presented no problem on other locos once anti-carbonisers were introduced, although possibly the feed still needed to be into the steam pipe rather than the valve chests.

Edited by gr.king

While some are swanning around European mountain resorts...

A reference to us having been away on our travels for our main break of the year. Stand by therefore for a Michael P (Portillo or Palin - same sort of idea) travelogue - hopefully of interest to some? - whilst I catch up on some work on the railway now we're back...

After a Eurostar after work to Paris, overnight stay and a TGV heading further south, we start here:

post-16151-0-73609800-1434487317_thumb.jpg

The charming town of Annecy...

post-16151-0-36920400-1434487337_thumb.jpg

...and accompanying lake (to be a recurring theme of this trip). Temp was 30deg+ (is that normal for this time of year?), a lovely inland Riviera in the foothills of the Alps

post-16151-0-08916500-1434487357_thumb.jpg

Our journey onwards saw us changing trains at Aix-les-Bains for the onward connection to Geneva. That train on the left looks interesting...

post-16151-0-08635600-1434487381_thumb.jpg

I claim to know next to nothing about European locos but to my eyes this Co-Co seemed to be of a certain vintage - note the old-style SNCF logo on the front. A 'find' or just run of the mill?

Our day's travel ended at Interlaken, now in serious alpine terrain. Although we were greeted by overcast skies, the following morning dawned bright n clear so we headed out for our target excursion:

post-16151-0-82353600-1434488324_thumb.jpg

The Brienz-Rothorn mountain railway. This only runs in the summer (we keep turning up in the ski season!) and in fact this was only the second day of the 2015 operating season.

post-16151-0-99523500-1434488344_thumb.jpg

Viewed from about three-quarters of the way up, the summit station can be seen on the skyline as the lead train in our 'raft' makes its way up the final stage of the climb.

post-16151-0-67451500-1434488373_thumb.jpg

The impressive view from the top looking back down. The route of the railway can clearly be seen with Lake Brienz in the background and Interlaken at its right hand end. If you look closely, a little bit of the town of Brienz - where we've come from - can be seen towards the bottom left hand corner. The Bernese Oberland's most famous peaks can be seen top left - the dark north face of the Eiger is the most left-hand, with the Jungfrau to its right (the Monch is all but hidden from this viewpoint).

post-16151-0-61226200-1434488392_thumb.jpg

Heavily zoomed in from the same viewpoint, the upper passing loop can be seen.

post-16151-0-13814900-1434488415_thumb.jpg

Our train preparing to descend back down. These are of course the 'new steam' rack locomotives (albeit already 20 years old!). There were some low clouds blowing around but generally we were blessed with clear views on our trip up - most satisfying.

post-16151-0-43285300-1434488436_thumb.jpg

To round off a memorable day, and without any planning on our part, the steam-powered paddle steamer Lotschberg turned up for our sail back across Lake Brienz to Interlaken. As with (almost) everything Swiss, she was in immaculate condition and completed her task effortlessly.

Next day, with forecast not quite so good but a clear start, we headed out to another 'summer only' railway in the area:

post-16151-0-05188500-1434490372_thumb.jpg

Any ideas?

post-16151-0-64821300-1434490389_thumb.jpg

Yes, the rather quaint Schynige Platte Bahn, virtually the first tourist railway in the area

post-16151-0-11914700-1434490422_thumb.jpg

Affording splendid views of Interlaken / Lake Thun...

post-16151-0-13760100-1434490441_thumb.jpg

...the Lauterbrunnen valley...

post-16151-0-21127600-1434490460_thumb.jpg

...and Grindelwald. There's the Eiger again (centre upper) but with its top in the clouds and no sign of the Jungfrau. Within half an hour or so we too were totally enveloped in mist!

post-16151-0-33356100-1434490482_thumb.jpg

That evening, viewed back from our hotel bedroom window...

post-16151-0-07619800-1434490507_thumb.jpg

...we could see where we'd been! (just follow the route of the overhead electric poles).

Need time - we head further east, in search of more lakes...

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 19

although your namesake may be of the wrong era.

60110%20Robert%20the%20%20Devil%202_zps6

87 Days, 1 hour and 15 minutes and counting.  No Pressure intended guys.

It's a great relief to now be able to state that my little family of Moguls is at last finished off, bar a sealing coat of varnish, weathering and probably a crew per K2 in view of the very open nature of their cabs.

This one's for Grantham's owner. Doncaster's 4673. I have since remembered to add the lining to the frame tops at the front of this one.

STA80097sm_zpshsizvfa4.jpg

Chaps - some great posts whilst we've being jollying about!

Derek - 60110 looks magnificent, although I did wonder if he's slightly broad gauge. And yes, I'm certainly very aware of the clock counting down!

3279 - 4673 looks simply divine! Hard to believe that was a V3 only two month or so ago - look forward to seeing her soon.

Edited by LNER4479

• RMweb Gold

Delectable pics of Switzerland and congratulations on taking out a second mortgage for a trip on the BRB - watching those engines getting ready for the off is fascinating, one minute almost nothing on the clock then a full head of steam seemingly the next!  You were extremely lucky with the weather - I had a week in Grindelwald at a conference and my room looked out on the Eiger but I had been there for 4 days before I actually saw it, spent most its the time covered in mist.  But it was quite clear on the day I travelled up to the Jungfrau and I did get a good picture of it on a later trip to the area.  There is quite a good view of the ugly (Eiger), holy (Munch) and maiden (Jungfrau) from the lake on the other side of Interlaken - but you no doubt saw that if you did that bit on the water.     Lovely area but even nicer if you're travelling on passes and a letter of authority on the BOB ;)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Annecy? Good Lord, it looks beautiful. I've driven past it so many times heading south and never once thought to stop and have a look around.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Lake Thun - nice place and Thun is (was?) the home of the Swiss Army tank school. It also houses a small tank museum. Thun is a nice place and the people used to hold a Centurion tank owners club meeting every month. Nice people the Swiss but also armed to the teeth.

So where will the rack railway fit on Grantham??????

Baz

• Like 2