5 plank wagon ID?

petethemole

• RMweb Premium

Does anybody have any idea as to the prototype of the 5-plank offering from Dapol?

http://www.Dapol.co....chk=1&Itemid=59

I've spent some time with books and the internet looking for it. I have one which I was going to finish as a GWR Open as it has the wide top plank, however several other details are wrong for the 17'6" types. It's not from the other Big Four companies and I'm assuming it's from one of the private builders for the private trader market but can't track it down. I don't have any books on PO wagons so can't go that route. I'm hoping to put a genuine livery on it. Other alternatives are extensive cosmetic surgery or hiding most of it under a wagon sheet.

I'd be grateful for any info, or suggestions as to which book(s) on PO wagons might help, that I can try to get on inter-library loan.

Pete

• RMweb Premium

Thanks to a PM from Pennine MC I'm now aware that it's not actually based on a real prototype but "a rehash of the old Hornby Dublo Super Detail moulding from the '60s". I've decided to cut off the bottoms of the side stanchions, paint it grey, weather and cover as much of the sides as possible with a wagon sheet. With a running number of indeterminate origin (probably from a 1/76 tank kit) it should look ok.

Pete

Archived